- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here comes Joe 90

 

Soon Jeff Tracy received an offer of help from Shane Weston of World Intelligence Network.

“Mr Tracy, we have just as much need as you to protect our own secrecy,” said Weston, “We should be able to trust each other. We have a device which could record the brain pattern of your injured aquanaut and then transfer them into our agent. We normally keep the recordings, but in this case we’ll destroy them as soon as the WASP rescue is done.”

“We’ve always avoided putting our privacy ahead of an endangered life,” said Jeff, “We’ll tell you where to meet our man for the brain pattern recording, and then Thunderbird Two will take your agent to the danger zone.”

Gordon checked out of the hospital, still in no condition to pilot Thunderbird Four through a complex rescue, but able to meet the others to carry out the rescue plan by remote control. In an isolated landing strip, Gordon met the approaching Thunderbird Two with Pod Four. They waited for the approach of the World Intelligence Network operators, namely Sam Louvre, ‘Mac” McClaine and his ten year old son Joe.

“I’m surprised you brought your child on this trip,” said Virgil, “Do you really let him in on your agent’s activities?”

“He IS our agent,” said Sam.

“But he’s just a kid,” said Gordon, “How can he pilot the most advanced underwater craft except possibly for Stingray itself?”

“He’s not a kid when he has brain patterns,” said Mac, “Believe me, I wouldn’t risk my own son if I hadn’t seen the success of every mission he’s ever done.”

Sam and Mac set up the recording gear, and recorded Gordon Tracy’s brain pattern. Then they raced back to the McLaine house and sat Joe in the B.I.G.R.A.T. and got Joe ‘brained up’ with Gordon’s knowledge of Thunderbird Four.

“Okay Joe. Thunderbird Two’s waiting,” said Sam.

“F.A.B.” said Joe.

“What?” asked Mac.

“It’s something he says a lot,” said Joe, “Maybe it means Fashion Apparently Blue.”

Joe boarded Thunderbird Two, and was flown to a spot just above the reported position of Stingray. Virgil dropped Pod Four from Thunderbird Two. It hit the surface, and opened a flap and released a small track which led from the Pod to the water. Thunderbird Four was soon sliding into the sea and descending. Soon Joe 90 used the controls to extend two magnetic clamps towards Stingray, and pushed the craft back to Marineville, much to the joy and relief of Atlanta, who had been in love with Troy Tempest for some time and recently learned of his reciprocating commitment. Phones had finally felt that he could admit his feelings for Marina, without upsetting Troy.

 

Joe returned to the B.I.G.R.A.T. and was soon his usual self. Sam handed the brain recording over to Virgil. Marineville were not told of W.I.N.’s involvement in the rescue. With their plan to destroy Stingray and her crew defeated, the Mysteron versions of Titan and his stooge left earth for Mars. One thing was certain. Marineville would have to take stock of the Mysteron threat, but they’d never again be bothered by Titan.