- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Story Notes:            Oh to suffer the Strings and Cannons of outrageous fortune.

 

“They can’t do us too much damage. They want Thunderbird One,” said Scott. Let’s see if the gun still works. Scott pressed a button and found that the gun turret was underwater.

“We’ll have to use our hover bikes,” said Gordon.

“Not yet,” said Scott, “Let’s get the lie of the land first.”

Scott sent the remote control flying camera out of Thunderbird One and over towards the shore, where he saw three men manning a cannon.

 

“It’s such a simplistic set-up,” said Gordon, “They only disabled us, because they took us by surprise.”

“I know,” said Scott, “We didn’t crash hard enough to impair our take off and flight capabilities. I just don’t think I can walk too well now. But the moment we lift off, they’ll fire another round. Let’s sneak out the far side with the hover bikes and get as close as we can to them. Then we’ll use the hover bike canons. I’m going to call Dad first. We may need help from Thunderbird Two.”

Soon Jeff Tracy was talking to his son.

“Virgil, Brains and Alan are on their way, with Pod 2 and the repair equipment, in case you do need the ship repaired for the flight home. Be careful, boys. You’ve been ambushed by Thunderbird seekers before, but don’t take any careless chances.”

“F.A.B. Dad,” said Scott, and opened the side door of Thunderbird One.

He and Gordon made their way to the hover bikes and headed away from the shore at first, using Thunderbird One for cover, and then snuck around and surprised the villains. Gordon fired a shot that would have killed a giant alligator. The cannon was completely destroyed, and the villains shaken up with similar injuries. They weren’t going anywhere. Jeff had promised to send the local authorities to help. They would arrive only in time to cart the criminals away. Many people around the world owed their very lives to International Rescue, and these men would not be looked on favourably by any court.

“Thank goodness we got the drop on them,” said Scott, “We’re far too injured to get off these bikes and fight them with hand guns or fists.”

“Scott, I didn’t want to worry you before, but … I’m starting to cave in,” said Gordon.

“Can you make it back to Thunderbird One?”

“I think so. But I feel sure I’ll pass out when I do.”

Scott led Gordon quickly back to the ship, and waited for Thunderbird Two to arrive. Brains looked over the ship and said that it would be alright to attempt a return flight, but only with Thunderbird Two flying close by in case of trouble.

“I think I should take Thunderbird One,” said Alan, “That way Brains can look after Scott and Gordon in Pod 2. Scott’s had a rough time of it, and I’ve piloted Thunderbird One before, when we went to the drilling rig.”

“I’ll check with Dad,” said Virgil, and soon got Jeff Tracy’s approval.

Scott and Gordon were both so badly injured, that they had to go to a mainland hospital for a month of surgery, nursing and recovery. They explained their injuries as a flying accident.