- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I am writing my story as an outlet of sorts.   I’m not sure if anyone will get an opportunity to read this.  However, if this does find its way on to the web or into a book, I hope the reader will take it as a warning.  You need to be careful of the unknown.  You may think you know the world but there area lot of things you probably don’t know about that can get you into a world of trouble.  Tread lightly or you may get a cosmic screwing.  That’s what my life lesson was.

Chapter 1 - The Favor 

I worked at a small office for a national advertising agency.  I was 27 at the time and trying as hard as possible to take advantage of my opportunities and move up in my career.  Our office was managed by a woman Amanda Foxx who was as aggressive at getting ahead as I was so we got along well enough.  I saw her as my ticket up and did whatever it took to help her out.  I guess in retrospect my co-workers probably thought I was a brown-nose and they were probably right.

One Thursday afternoon, Amanda calls me in her office.  “Ryan”, she says, “I need a big favor.”   I liked the sound of that.  I finally had an opportunity to show Amanda that I could help her out in a pinch no matter what.  “The home office just called”, she continued, “and they had a last minute cancellation for the national conference and they asked me if I could attend. “

“Wow that’s great”, I replied not sure where this was going but still feeling good for my boss. 

“I have one problem”, she told me.  “I need a sitter.  My daughter is home from boarding school and I don’t trust her at home.   She can take care of herself perfectly well but I need someone to be there to make sure things don’t get out of control.  You know what I mean?  I thought of everything I could do but everyone else I could think of is tied up and you’re my last hope otherwise I need to call the home office and tell them I can’t make it. ”

Now, I vaguely remember hearing Amanda had a daughter but I didn’t know anything about her.  All I knew was this was my opportunity to show Amanda that I had her back and was the one she could count on.  I had moved here to take this job after looking for a couple years after graduating college and I didn’t have any family or too many friends so I was free to help her for a few days.  “Sure, I can help you out”, I said, “I don’t want you to miss out of a great networking event.”

“Great”, she says with a smile.  “Bring a bag to work tomorrow and meet me at my house after lunch.  I’ll need you to stay Friday night through Wednesday morning.  I’ll be back on Wednesday.  I have a guest room in my house with a bath so you’ll have your privacy.  I really appreciate this, Ryan, she says.  She looks down at her paperwork and I know it’s time to go back to my desk.  "Thisi favor is going to get me along way", I thought to myself as a walked back to my cubicle.

The next day, I brought my suitcase to work and was ready to give up the weekend in the name of getting ahead at work.  Amanda was working from home because she had to pack and catch an early afternoon flight.  I grabbed a quick lunch and got to her place about twelve thirty in the afternoon.  She was waiting for me as a came to the door ready to take off.

“I really appreciate you doing this”, she told me.  “Samantha is seventeen and away at boarding school most of the year.  She thinks she knows everything.  You just need to let her know who is boss and keep her in line and you’ll be fine.”  She starts to leave but stops short of the car and turns around.  “Oh yeah, no matter what don’t let her have anyone over or talk you into letting her have a party.  Last year, she trashed the house with her ‘I’m just have a couple of friends over' crap while I was out at a friend’s house.”

“OK, no problem”, I replied as she got in her car and pulled out.  “Crap, seventeen”, was the first thing I thought as she drove off.  Why did I think she had a little kid?