- Text Size +
"Me and Susan want Misty to live!" said Pearl. "I think you should respect that!"

"Respect a bitch from Ashwood City?" said G-girl. "I used to fight those bitches in Y.A., and I'll be damned if I'm gonna start treating them as anything more than garbage!"

"Look, G-girl," said Pearl, "this is my house, and I want you to let that Misty chick live!"

"She belongs to me!" said G-girl. "All those Ashwood City captives were traded to me, fair and square! What do you have to say about that?"

"Well, let me buy her off you!" said Pearl.

"Buy her?" said G-girl. "Forget it!"

"I have an idea!" said Susan. "Why don't you two gamble for her?"

G-girl appeared to be thinking about this, then a smile came to her face, and she said, "Okay! How about a game of dice?"

Susan looked at Pearl, then back at G-girl. "You don't know us very well! Nobody can beat Pearl at dice!"

"You guys don't know me!" said G-girl. "I'm pretty good at dice, too!"

Although it was just after 9:00 p.m., there was adequate lighting in the backyard that Chip had installed when he was building the zapper grid. Hayley, Hannah, Susan, Ashley, Crystal Mae, Taz, and Polly watched as G-girl pulled out five dice, and asked who wanted to go first. Pearl went, and got a thousand points. G-girl picked up the dice, and while she was shaking them up in her cupped hands, she did a switch that Pearl and the others didn't see. The original five dice were replaced with a set of dice that were fixed. When G-girl let go of the trick dice, she got five ones, which was the highest score you can get in dice in one toss. G-girl quickly grabbed the dice and fumbled for a piece of scratch paper and a pen that she always carried with her. During that time, she switched the dice a second time, and gave Pearl the normal dice.

Pearl rolled the dice a second time, and got nothing. She handed the dice back to G-girl, who rolled with them in order to not arouse suspicion. She got a hundred and fifty, and gave the dice back to Pearl as she wrote her score down. Pearl rolled and scored, but when she gave the dice back, G-girl tried to switch the dice again, but Susan caught her in the act.

"She's cheating!" said Susan, who grabbed G-girl by the arms and physically shook her down until she pulled out both sets of dice. Susan threw all ten dice on the ground, and saw that five of them landed on ones. She grabbed the five dice that had landed on one and threw them again; all five again landed on one again.

"Do you see this?" Susan asked Pearl. "Five of them are a normal set of dice, but the other set is rigged to always land on one! She was probably cheating when she beat Chip with that royal flush earlier!"

Susan picked up the five dice in question and threw them again, and sure enough, they all landed on one.

"You forfeit!" said Pearl. "Now you have to relinquish Misty to me! As long as she's in my charge, I'll allow her to live!"

"Okay, okay," said G-girl, "I'll agree to that, under one condition!"

"What condition?" said Pearl.

"That you give me my dice back!" said G-girl.

"Okay!" said Pearl, and the two girls shook on it. Susan handed the trick dice back to G-girl.

Pearl and Susan headed back into the house, to see about relocating Sparky's cartridge for Misty's sake. Ashley and Crystal Mae followed Pearl and Susan; Taz and Polly followed Ashley and Crystal Mae. Inside the house, Pearl moved the voice amplifier to one of the coffee tables. The transparent cartridge containing Sparky, Zu-Zu, Wam-Wam, and Misty was perched under the microphone of the voice amplifier. The device was battery powered, a fact Sparky knew would be important when he had constructed it. If it had been A.C. powered, captives might have been able to escape down the electrical cord, and it was for the convenience of the normal-sized Aryans that he had constructed the ingenious device, not for the benefit of the captives under their dominion.

Pearl set the voice amplifier down near the corner of one of the coffee tables, not far from the edge. Within the transparent titanium cartridge, Sparky looked up to see Pearl standing on the left side of the point where the corner of the coffee table formed a ninety degree angle; G-girl approached, but Pearl blocked her by placing her right leg in G-girl's path. G-girl was now standing to the right of the corner of the table, facing Pearl, who stood on the left.

"I said don't hurt her!" Pearl's voice thundered over Sparky's head.

"I wasn't going to hurt her!" boomed the voice of G-girl.

To Sparky, Zu-Zu, Wam-Wam, and Misty, Pearl and G-girl seemed like the spawn of titans, the daughters of some giant, mythical race. To Sparky and his two friends, the argument between the two girls was academic; they had nothing at stake. Zu-Zu and Wam-Wam had known G-girl since grade school, and knew she would never allow harm to come to them. Sparky knew he could trust Pearl, up to a certain point. There was probably over a ninety percent chance that he would live a long life while under her command. To Misty, however, the argument had more concrete consequences for her. If Pearl failed to convince G-girl not to slaughter her, Misty knew that Pearl couldn't watch over her one hundred percent of the time, and it would be just a matter of time before G-girl did away with her.

"Why don't you get a belly full of those Chinese captives if you want to hurt someone?" said Pearl. "Me and Susan decided to let Misty live, because she's a girl!"

"All I want to do is look at her!" said G-girl. "I promise I won't hurt her!"

"You promise?" said Pearl.

Inside the transparent cartridge, Misty shuddered at the thought of G-girl getting close to her. Sparky noticed her reaction, and felt pity for her. He knew G-girl pretty well, but couldn't predict her behavior with any kind of accuracy. She could be very cruel, or very compassionate, depending on her mood and the situation. Sparky knew for a fact that G-girl carried a handgun in her purse, but didn't know if she had ever used it. Sparky had never joined a gang, but G-girl was a gangster. This made her an enigma to him, because he only had a few friends who were gang members, and didn't understand their way of thinking.

When G-girl responded with a yes, Pearl reached down and picked up the transparent cartridge, without making any kind of effort to be gentle. Sparky felt himself knocked back and forth, and he narrowly avoided bumping into Zu-Zu, Wam-Wam, and Misty. Before they could get their bearings, the cartridge came to rest on the left palm of G-girl's hand. Misty looked out at G-girl, while G-girl gazed in at her.

"I think I'm gonna piss my pants!" said Misty.

"I don't think she's going to hurt you!" said Sparky. "I can't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure she'll keep her word to Pearl!"

G-girl didn't say anything to Misty, but looked at Pearl and said, "She's pretty!"

G-girl put the cartridge back down on the voice amplifier, and had a conversation with Pearl and the others. "Now that the non-whites have been reduced to ant-size," said G-girl, "what does that make us?"

"It makes us the gods of this world," said Susan.

Nobody said anything in response to what Susan had said; it seemed like a wise thing to say, and it went unsaid that all the girls in the room agreed with that assessment. As far as the miniaturized non-white members of the human race were concerned, Aryans such as Pearl and half-white people such as G-girl were regarded as gods. Pearl and her friends were of the opinion that this issue was closed, and wasn't open for debate. Each of the girls felt that Aryans had been elevated to god-like status by Raleigh Doran, and non-whites had been reduced to something less than human. If one of them had said anything to the contrary, she would've been regarded as insane by the others.

"If we're gods," said Susan, "then what are the shrunken people?"

"They're the food of the gods!" said Crystal Mae.

"I've heard you use that term," said Susan, "and that's a good label! But what can we call them when we're speaking in casual conversation? We can't call them 'Food Of The Gods' every time we refer to them!"

"That's true!" said Pearl. "I think slave-toys is a good word to describe them! I heard Crystal Mae use that term."

"I see what you're saying!" said Crystal Mae. "How about calling them belly-slaves? They always manage to end up in our bellies somehow!"

"How about gullet bullets?" said Hayley.

"That's a good one," said Susan.

"How about pawns?" said Polly. "They're like pawns, the most powerless piece on a chessboard!"

"They're a race of pawns!" said Susan. "I like that!"

"Technically," said Ashleigh, "there's more than one race that's been shrunk, so 'Race Of Pawns' is grammatically incorrect!"

"Ashleigh, if you're that smart, I'd like you to tutor me!" said Susan.

"How about gut-sluts?" said Taz.

"That's stupid!" said Crystal Mae.

And so the discussion went on well into the night, until they debated from their sleeping bags. Taz and Polly were spending the night again, and were the first to fall asleep. Eventually, everyone fell asleep, except for Misty, inside the transparent titanium cartridge on the voice amplifier that was on top of one of the coffee tables. Misty couldn't take her eyes off G-girl, who was asleep in her sleeping bag on the living room carpet. Sparky woke up to use the bathroom, and after he was done, he noticed Misty. He walked over to her, and sat down next to her.

"She's not going to hurt you," said Sparky. "If she was going to do something to you, she would've done it already."

"I know that," said Misty. "I just feel like a goldfish in a fish-tank that's next to a bigger tank with a shark in it!"

"If you were a codfish next to a shark tank," said Sparky, "you'd have the fear of cod!"

This made Misty smile, the first time she had done so since she had found herself in the cartridge housing Sparky, Zu-Zu, and Wam-Wam. Misty put her arm around Sparky, and kissed him on the lips. The two of them stayed awake for several hours talking and getting to know each other. They fell asleep in each other's arms. Sparky, Zu-Zu, and Wam-Wam all had white blankets that they had woven from a chunk of cotton ball that Pearl had given them the night before, when she had given out cotton balls to all the Mexicans from Ashwood City. Misty didn't have a blanket of her own, so she curled up and slept with Sparky in his.

When Wednesday rolled around, Sparky woke up in the afternoon. The normal-sized people were in a commotion, and that's what had awakened him. It was around 2:00 p.m., and the statues were being delivered. Few people knew the ungodly price Chip and Pearl had paid for two-day delivery service for such heavy items, but nobody really cared; all that mattered was that the statues had arrived. The marble blocks were life-size, so they weren't incredibly huge. Still, Chip was worried that the mortar wasn't dry enough yet when the workers built a ramp to lift the marble blocks into the brick chamber that he had constructed to contain the captives.

By the time the workers left, there were three marble blocks situated within the brick chamber, each marble block approximately the shape of the girl the statue would be carved into the image of. The brick chamber was ten feet in diameter, and each marble block was two and a half feet in diameter. They were placed in a triangle pattern, with each statue facing outward from each point of the triangle. The girls stood around trying to guess which statue would be carved into Pearl's image, which one would be G-girl, and which one would be Taz.

"It's gonna take a million years for the captives to build those statues!" said Susan.

"You're right," said Chip, "but this was their idea," Chip pointed at Pearl and the others. "Do you have any suggestions?"

"Only one," said Susan, "remember that alloy Raleigh Doran described to Ivan Quaid?"

"Yeah," said Chip, "it's seventy times stronger than titanium!"

"Actually, it's over seventy times stronger than titanium!" said Ashleigh.

"Ashleigh, don't be a nerd!" said Susan. "Chip, what if we could get Ivan Quaid to have Raleigh provide us with little tools made of that alloy that are the right size for the captives to use?"

"That's a great idea!" said Chip, and he whipped out his cell phone.

"But what if they use the tools to cut their way out of the brick chamber?" Pearl asked.

"We could count out each tool," said Susan, "and make sure they turn them back in when they're done."

After having a conversation for several minutes, Chip put his phone away. "Pearl! I got a hold of Professor Quaid! I don't know how I did it, but I got a hold of him! He wants me to meet him at his house tonight! Does anyone want to go to Pasadena with me? I'm leaving right away!"

"I do!" said G-girl.

"You're meeting Professor Quaid?" said Ashleigh. "I've got to meet him! Can I go?"

"Yeah!" said Chip.

"I have school tomorrow, Chip!" said Ashleigh. "I can't miss cheer practice. Can you have me back by early tomorrow morning?"

"I don't see why not," said Chip "I'll go gas up the truck, then we can go when I get back!"

"Why don't we take my car? There's more room," said G-girl, and she threw her keys to Chip. "Besides, you can drive us, and I get a free fill-up out of the deal!"

"Sure!" said Chip, and took off with the keys he'd caught and walked toward the front of the house, in search of G-girl's car.

After Chip left to gas up G-girl's car, G-girl's cell phone rang. "Hello?" she said. "Jasmine! How's it hangin'? Hey, do you want to go to L.A. with me and a couple of friends of mine?"

Jasmine accepted the invitation, and arrived before Chip got back from the gas station. When Chip returned, Pearl and all of her friends except Taz and Polly went through the house to the front yard to say goodbye to Chip, Ashleigh, G-girl, and Jasmine. Taz and Polly stayed in the backyard, looking at the statues. One of the statues was going to be of Taz.

"How does it feel to know ant-sized captives are going to be slaving away to build a statue in your honor?" Polly asked.

"It's exciting!" said Taz, as a sinister smile spread across her face. "It makes me feel like a mighty goddess! Powerless little pawns striving to appease me! It's intoxicating!"

Meanwhile, in G-girl's car, Chip sat in the driver's seat, G-girl sat in the passenger's seat, and Jasmine and Ashleigh sat in the back. As they got on their way, Jasmine introduced herself to Ashleigh.

"Hi, I'm Jasmine Jenson!"

Ashleigh shook her hand, and said, "I'm Ashleigh Ashbury. It's nice to meet you!"

"Y'all ain't a bunch of Nazis, are you?" said Jasmine.

Ashleigh got a look on her face like Jasmine had lost her mind. "No!" said Ashleigh. "I'm only interested in Raleigh's technology for scientific reasons. I don't completely agree with her politics."

"What do you mean you don't 'completely' agree with her politics?" said Jasmine. "Does that mean you agree with her a little bit?"

Chip hadn't known G-girl for more than a few days, and didn't know her friend Jasmine at all; but Chip reasoned to himself that having a half-black woman in the car could cause some friction, if he and Ashleigh failed to answer any questions she had in a way that showed they were one hundred percent against Raleigh Doran and her mission of Aryan supremacy. Chip felt that it was going to be a long drive to Pasadena.

To Be Continued!