- Text Size +

Author's Note: Unfortunately, giantess world requires that every chapter submitted for a story on their site contain a minimum of five hundred words. As such, this prologue is too short to constitute its own chapter. However, I actually really like this prologue as a sort of ominous, quiet setup for the story that is to follow. Thus, I have written this brief prologue to the prologue. I hope that you all enjoy my story, and as always, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated. Now, on to that oft-alluded to prologue:

Our scene opens on a nicely decorated, if a tad small, bedroom. Sunlight filters in through half-drawn blinds, and a slight snore reverberates gently through the otherwise still room. Those unassuming respirations emanate from one Ashley Dawson, an average American young lady who decided to sneak a catnap in her bedroom on this lazy Saturday afternoon while both her roommates are out and about. She slumbers softly, her cute teddy bear nose drawing in small gulps of air that are softly released and shaped through her pretty, unadorned pink lips.

Her sleeping form is barely conscious of a slight change in the atmosphere of the room. Her skin registers a slight breeze, as though a brief burst of air momentarily pulsed through the room. A few seconds later, she feels an odd sensation, as though a layer of very fine dust is settling over her.

Ashley has just been the only witness, if you could call her that, of the single most significant event ever to occur on planet earth, if not in the Milky Way Galaxy. She has just been at the center of a resonance cascade.

As any good physicist will tell you, there is a certain amount of…unpredictability, shall we say, in how the universe conducts itself. On a macroscopic scale, there are laws that hold universally true, like gravity. However, on the individual scale, sometimes atoms tend to go rogue. There is a slight possibility that any given electron in any given piece of matter might suddenly vibrate at a different frequency for no good reason. There is an infinitesimally small possibility that an entire collection of atoms, millions of them, could choose to act unpredictably. It is possible, however unlikely, that, for instance, your entire computer screen could turn green for a fraction of a second as all the molecules in it randomly deviate from their predicted paths. Frustrating, right? Fortunately for you, the odds of an event like that happening are so impossibly small that the average human, or all of humanity for that matter, is likely to never witness one.

However, in all of space-time, in the vastness of the universe multiplied by eternity, it stands to reason that a completely unpredictable event, on a massive scale, is almost certain to happen somewhere at some point. It has, and Ashley Dawson is near the center of it.

As what feels like a gentle breeze wafts over her, Ashley unconsciously rubs her eyes with her knuckles and rolls over in her sleep, crushing several thousand tiny people, the first of many victims of this cosmic anomaly.