- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Spoilers:            Booster Gold#1&8&9  (Feb & Sept & Oct 1986)

Meanwhile, the Justice Society held their latest meeting and read Rip’s letter.

 

“I think we should involve one of our number in this boy’s request,” said Hawkman, “Who knows what we might inspire him to do when he reaches adulthood. Who’d like to go?”

 

“I can’t,” said Johnny Thunder, “I’m off to get counseling over my unrequited younger man crush on Black Canary.”

 

“She won’t be available either,” said Doctor Mid-Nite, “She’s out with a friend of hers called Kathy Kane. They’ve taken Selina Kyle to a Christian self-help program for wayward women called Girls Of Prayer.”

 

The others made their apologies, and then the Atom spoke up.

 

“I’d like to go,” he said, “There’s someone in the future I’d like to catch up with, to explain why I left her. If that boy’s time machine can take me there, it’d be a good opportunity.”

 

So it was that the Atom, teenaged Rip Hunter and Toughy Blue Boy all time traveled to the time and place of Atom’s request. As it had been six years in the present since he had last seen the giantess Carla, Atom suggested that they arrive in the year 2448. Rip Hunter managed to land his time machine under a cupboard in Carla’s living room.

 

“Now stay here,” said the Atom, “We’re no match for these giants, and I wouldn’t want you two to be captured.”

 

The Atom stepped out into the middle of the room, so that his presence on the giant carpet was plainly evident for anyone who should come into the room. He waited until he saw Carla come into the room.

 

“You’re back Dumplin’,” said Carla, picking him up and locking him in the cage, which was still hanging from the ceiling, “I haven’t seen you for six years. I’d better make sure I leave the windows closed so no birds can fly in and help you escape.”

 

“I wanted to explain why I left last time. I come from another time, before your race of giants ever came into being. I have missions to handle in my time, and I also have a wife now, just as you have your husband.”

 

“He was a military man, Dumplin’. He got killed two years ago,” said Carla, “Still at least I have my little pet back.”

 

“I was never anyone’s pet,” said the Atom as he bent the bars of the golden cage, “And six years ago I didn’t have my atomic strength.”

 

The Atom stepped out of the cage and jumped onto her shoulder. Then he reached across and bent the bars back into place.

 

“Super heroes should never leave other people’s property vandalized,” he said.

 

As she reached for him again, he waited for her fingers to start closing around him. This time he used his atomic strength to push her fingers apart. Then he slid down the back of her dress to the floor, and ran a few paces behind her. Carla turned around and towered in front of him.