- Text Size +

“Marta, this is madness!” Jakob protested when Erik entered the barn.  “We are not like them!  We may have been a long time ago but no more!”

“Jakob, please,” Marta pleaded.

“You cannot be in love,” Jakob said to his sister as if Erik wasn’t there.

“Jakob, I have never felt this way before,” Marta said.  “It is the only explanation I have.”

Erik swiftly made his way over to the giantess, feeling her distress as she fought with her brother.  Erik patted Marta’s knee to not only give her moral support but to also let her know that he was there.  Jakob stood up as best he could in the crammed barn.  He frowned down at Erik.  Erik knew that Jakob was trying to intimidate him but Erik showed no fear of the giant.  Erik looked up at Jakob with his intense eyes.  If both men were the same height and weight, Erik would have taken the challenge of a fight but a giant was something altogether different.

“Do you love my sister?” Jakob growled as he glared down at Erik.

Erik decided to fight fire with fire and so he returned the giant’s glare.  Erik did his best to keep his fear under control.  He had faith that Jakob would not harm him, especially with Marta sitting close by.

“I am not going to lie to you, Jakob.  I have loved before and lost that love long ago.  Many maidens have tried to win my heart since but to no avail.  Your sister has captured me.  She is a maiden like no other,” Erik said as he looked up into Marta’s light blue eyes.

“Maiden like no other,” Jakob repeated in distaste.  “Of course she is a maiden like no other to you.”  Jakob huffed.

“True, she is not as I.  She can be as I and still capture my heart,” Erik said as Marta put her hand out to him.  She smiled down at the small man.  Erik held her index finger.

“You cannot even hold hands like a proper couple,” Jakob scoffed.  Erik could see that he wasn’t getting anywhere with the overprotective giant.  Erik also understood Jakob’s actions; he would be the same way if it were his sister taking on a suitor.  Erik thought for a moment, is that what he is, a suitor?  Erik decided then that he had better change his strategy.

“I will ask your permission then,” Erik said and Jakob gave him a puzzled look.

“Permission?”  The giant finally said.

“As I man of my word I wish to ask for your permission to see your sister.  If you say no, I shall take my leave and never return to your…home,” Erik said, looking around the large barn knowing that this was only a temporary stay for the two giants.

Jakob pondered Erik’s words.  Jakob secretly admired the little man’s courage.  Not many would stand up to someone much bigger and stronger than them, but Erik did.  Jakob then looked to his sister who seemed so happy, happier than she had been in years, happier than even before that fateful day they both ran away from home.  A small smile played on Jakob’s lips as he looked away.  Jakob liked seeing his sister happy for once and he could see that this Erik genuinely cared for his younger sister.  Maybe if this becomes serious, Erik can come with them back to the forest and maybe then the forest will accept him as well?  Jakob thought of these many things as Erik patiently waited for the giant’s response.

“I believe that you are a man of your word, otherwise my father would have never befriended you.  As a man of my word, I give you my permission to see my sister but know this, break her heart and I will crush you under my own foot,” Jakob said and smiled to himself when he heard Erik nervously gulp…

 

Erik mounted his gray mare while Marta walked alongside.  Instead of lovers hand and hand, the giantess and the human stood side by side.

“What did you mean when you said you have loved before?” Marta looked down and asked the little man.

“The truth?” Erik said.

“The truth.”

“I was married once before, fair one.  We were happy.  I had just gotten out of my apprenticeship with the royal blacksmith and was set to take his place in which I did.  All was well and then my wife gave me the news that she was with child.  We were both so joyous and happy,” Erik stopped his mare.  Tears began to glisten in the moonlight from those intense and serious eyes.

“What happened, Erik?”  Marta asked gently.

“My wife passed on after the birth of our daughter,” Erik said sadly.

“Oh Erik, that is so awful,” Marta said as tears began to fill her eyes.  “Was the babe alright?”

“Elisa was such a healthy babe but her poor mother wasn’t strong enough.  I named my daughter after her mother so that she may not be forgotten,” Erik said as he wiped the tears from his eyes.  His memories of his wife’s last moment were quite painful.  “I care for my Elisa with the help of my sister Maria.  We have built a small life here and quite like it much better than the palace.”

“You lived in the palace?” Marta asked, enthralled by royalty since she was a little girl.

“Aye, but none of those ladies in waiting’s beauty compares to yours, Marta,” Erik said, lighting up the conversation and enjoying the blush from the giantess that this statement caused.  It went on like this through the night.  Marta told Erik of her life in The Black Forest and Erik told her about the knights and ladies in waiting.  The blacksmith and the giantess bonded…

 

Ansel awoke to see his wife trying to dress herself.  Gerta definitely looked different and much healthier than the day before.  Ansel smiled as he watched his now youthful try to decide on a dress as all her wardrobe was tossed carelessly around the room.

“Good morning my dear husband, I seem to have a dilemma.  You have feed me so well that none of my garments seem to fit right.  My feet must have swollen as well because my shoes can’t seem to fit either,” Gerta said as she pulled on a different dress.

“That is quite a dilemma, my wife,” Ansel said as he got out of bed.  He walked over to Gerta who seemed to be trying on her last dress when he realized why his wife’s garment wouldn’t fit.  Gerta had barely stood to Ansel chest the other day even with her shoes on, now she stood halfway to his chest without her shoes.  The hems of her dresses that had once reached the floor, showed her feet and part of her calf.  Gerta now looked to be the same height as Ansel used to be before his journey.  Ansel laughed.

“It is not I that have feed you so well, my wife.  For you see, you have grown,” Ansel said with a smile.  He kissed his wife’s forehead.  He didn’t have to bend down as far.  Gerta looked stunned.

“I thought the house seemed a little different this morning.  I could reach for things that I couldn’t reach before and my dresses seem short,” Gerta said as she looked up at Ansel who still towered over her.  Ansel took her hand.  It felt bigger than it had, almost right.

“After I give you the last of the cure, I will take you to the cobbler tomorrow and have a new pair of shoes made for you.  You should have seen his face when I had him measure my feet for new boots,” Ansel said with a smile.

Ansel and Gerta had their morning meal when a visitor came.  It was Erik.  Gerta answered the door when Erik gave her a stunned look.  Gerta’s new appearance didn’t go unnoticed.  Gerta barely had to look up at the tall and slender Erik.  She secretly enjoys this new development.

Just as the days before when Ansel had given Gerta the water, as soon as she had eaten, she felt tired and sleep overtook her.  Gerta lays down for her nap not knowing of what will happen when she wakes…