- Text Size +

“Oh no!  Are you alright?” Robin McAllister asked the sitting giants.  The poor creatures had grown so much since the last time Robin saw them.  She pulled the gator she was driving close.  Two metal drums tied to the back.  “I hope you like chocolate.  That’s all I could find in the drums,” Robin said, talking to the two giants like she would her grandkids.  Compassion filled the older woman’s eyes.

“That’s fine, Robbie,” Emma said with a sad smile.

“Beggars can’t be choosy,” Alex said.  Just then Alex’s stomach let out a loud grumble.

“I’ll go see if I can find more,” Robin said.  She looked at Emma’s sparse dress.  The torso ripped revealing her muscular stomach.  The once knee length dress looked like a mini skirt, showing off Emma’s long legs.  The poor woman had grown over five feet in a matter of minutes.  Then Robin looked at the tight high water pants Alex wore, torn up the sides.  He had grown over six feet.  Robin frowned.

“I’ll have to find you two something different to wear.  Emma, you can probably fit into Alex’s old clothes for now, but I’m going to have to rush to finish those pants I’ve been working on for you, Alex,” Robin said, looking up into the two giants clear blue eyes.  “I thought I’d have more time before you grew this big.”

Robin took in the sight of their long hair.  Emma’s wavy hair flowed down her back.  She appeared to be sitting on it while Alex’s hair that once went slightly above his shoulders, now went halfway down his back.  Robin still frowned.  “Looks like you two are going to need haircuts too,” Robin then said.  “This could prove difficult for me.  I’ll see if Ally can help.”

“We don’t want you hurting yourself for our vanity,” Alex quipped.  He tried to make light of their new situation but deep down he wasn’t too happy.

Alex and Emma took the barrels from the back of the gator.  They pried open the tops like opening a soda can.  The shakes helped, but they were still hungry.  “I’ll be back as soon as I can.  I’ll get you guys two more apiece,” Robin said as she started back up the gator.

“Can you get me three,” Emma said shyly. 

“Anything for you, dear,” Robin answered.

“Get Franklin out of Alpha One hangar.  I don’t want him to see the Andersons like this,” Vin told Robin.  She nodded and drove off.

Emma and Alex felt strong enough to try and stand up.  They helped each other up.  Alex noticed that the trees weren’t much taller than him.  Emma looked down at the two men, her legs shaky and weak.  Alex caught her as she was about to fall.

I still feel weak.  That shake wasn’t enough.  The baby must need more.  “Thanks sweetheart,” Emma said a loud.  Alex took what little strength he had left to hold her up.  I don’t know if I can move.  You must be weak too.  This growth spurt was rough.  I hope the baby is alright.

I’m weak, but I’m going to try to get you back to the hangar.  No more private room, but I think I’m tall enough to reach some of the cameras. I don’t want to jeopardize Vin’s position though.  I’d hate to see what kind of replacement they would send.  “Let’s get you inside, honey,” Alex said as he put Emma’s arm over his shoulder.  He would carry her if he could, but he still felt weak himself.

“Good idea,” Vin said.  “I don’t want to alarm Ally and Steve yet.”

“The Andersons aren’t the only ones here?” the president asked.

“No, there are two others.  Lab assistants that got the virus three weeks after Mr. Anderson.  Construction has begun on a new building and I have another whole hangar.  It’s still not enough room if we don’t allow the giants to go about their daily lives as the citizens they once were,” Vin said.

“Aren’t you afraid that there will be some kind of accident?  What if they all don’t evolve the same?” the president asked.

“The clinics have only report middle to lower class people being mostly affect.  Mr. Anderson is the exception.  No criminals have been affected either.  It’s a strange virus, but once it’s in the system, the changes begin.  The affected change daily.  Everything about them grows to proper proportions.  Internal organs like the heart, lungs and kidney, although their lungs are a bit different.  The lungs are made to withstand the differing air.  Even their skin is UV resistant and a little tougher,” Vin explains.

“That still doesn’t answer my questions, Dr. Gunderson,” the president says.

“None of us wish to harm you.  You little ones don’t seem to want to understand that.  We want to help you,” Emma said weakly.

“That is another topic I wish to discuss, then I’ll answer your questions, Mr. President,” Vin said.  “These people don’t like the term ‘mega-humans.’  In fact, they find it downright offensive and I do too.”

“Human refers to who we once were.  Our physiology has changed so much.  Our minds don’t even work the same anymore.  We can think and do things that no human being has ever thought possible.  Of course, we remember who we are, but we have become so much more.  We are giant,” Emma says.

“We would like to be called that, sir.  We cannot go fully back to our human lives.  We know that much, but we would like to be a part of human society.  We would like to show the little ones how to live better and happier lives.  I can tell you now that Emma and I are finished evolving.  What you see is what you get,” Alex said with a smile.

“Don’t worry about accidents, sir.  Humans are much more accident prone than what we are.  I’d never hurt a fly or fall on a human,” Emma said with a smile.  She felt herself weaken a bit.  Alex managed to hold her up again.  He started slowly walking her towards the hangar.  Vin pulled out his cell.

“We need the private room mattresses and about four more brought out to the main floor stat,” Vin said to the person on the other end.  Despite the towering giants’ steps, Vin and the president kept up at a brisk walk.  Then the secret service trailed them.

Alex was grateful for the large hanger.  The door seemed much lower to him now and as he stepped inside, the techs all stared with their mouth agape.  The catwalks that once went to chest level on him were now at his lower stomach, crotch area.  He could see over the fifteen foot measuring wall now.  Alex sighed when he spotted the fourteen foot door to his and Emma’s only sanctuary. 

Workers scrambled to move the mattresses.  Once the mattresses were laid to form a large bed, Alex helped Emma down.  Alex knew there wasn’t enough room for him, so he lay down on the concrete floor next to his wife.  He didn’t care if it was uncomfortable, he needed to lie down.  The doll sized people watched the titanic man and woman in shock.  The love in their eyes as Alex held Emma’s hand.  He kissed it tenderly.  Then they both fell fast asleep.

“They’re sort of like much larger versions of us, only they don’t think like we do,” Vin reminded the president.  “They feel the way we do and they obviously love the way we do, but they don’t hate like we do or want to cause destruction like we have a bad habit of doing.  They want to be our friends.  I ask you sir, is there anything wrong with that?”

“No, Dr. Gunderson.  No, there isn’t.  I’ll veto any laws that could potentially destroy these people’s lives.  This is America and it’s time the public knew about these people.  I want the Andersons to be their representatives,” the president said.

“I’ll see how Alex and Emma feel about that.  First thing is first, please get rid of your toy soldiers.  They won’t escape, I promise you that,” Vin said as he climbed the catwalk to look down upon his sleeping friends.  He smiled.  “They are good people.”

“Military withdraw is immediate.   I’ll leave you to your work, Dr. Gunderson.  I must inspect the other clinics,” the president says, shaking Vin’s hand.