- Text Size +

Ethan had to be careful so that no one in the air can spot him.  Ethan didn’t like that the giants weren’t being honest with what he called the original race.  Ethan didn’t see the humans as all bad just misunderstood in the giants’ eyes.  Ethan knew how to be swift and careful since he was as tall if not taller than most of the trees.  His large form moved gracefully up the hard terrain.  The giants built the bolt hole where humans dare not go because of the steepness of the area.  Even the most experienced rock climber would think twice.  Before Ethan made it to this part of the mountain he heard the cries of a woman in the wilderness.

Cara Sweeney and her boyfriend Jason Harrison decided it would be best to flee from the populated area and to the mountains where Cara’s deceased father had left her a cabin.  The two twenty-five year olds were neither for nor against the giants or their own race for that matter.  The two just wanted to live in peace and away from madness of the military occupied town.  Cara and Jason even invited friends along and they all agreed.  Everyone decided it was best they live off the land as much as possible.  The group of young men and women loaded whatever can goods and survival gear into their cars and trucks to move to the peace of the mountains.

Cara cried as she knelt above her boyfriend.  A tree had fallen on top of Jason during one of the many quakes that have recently hit the area.  The night before Cara and Jason woke up to small shudders but little did they know that they were the steps of a titan.  Jason hit his head on a rock leaving him unconscious.  Cara had been a trained nurse felt her sweetheart’s heart slipping.  She knew in her heart that there wasn’t another soul for miles.

Ethan heard the woman’s cries.  He knew that he must move on but his heart told him that he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he ignored the cries.  He moved carefully in the direction of the cries.  Ethan knew that the humans had never seen a giant as big as him.  Full grown adult humans can easily fit in the palm of his hand.  Kyle and Amber used to sit on one of his hands and have plenty of room left right after Ethan grew up into an adult titan.

Cara cradled Jason’s head.  She knew that all she could do now was make him as comfortable as possible.  She felt the ground give off small trembles but she didn’t care.  Cara was determined to stay with Jason till the very end.  She was not aware of the sympathetic blue eyes watching her from high up.  Ethan wasn’t completely sure how he was going to approach the human.

Ethan got down on his hands and knees.  The titan tried to make himself small but knew he was failing on this task.  Ethan wasn’t sure if he should speak or just help the human.  He didn’t have time to debate this matter because the tiny man under the fallen tree was slipping away fast.  Ethan didn’t want to startle the tiny woman either but he had no choice as he moved closer to the clearing.

Cara let out a scream when she saw fingers as large as tree trunks gently pick up the tree off of Jason.  She stood there froze as she looked up at the face of a blue-eyed giant that looked to be her age.  His raven hair pulled loosely back with what looked to be thick rope.  He was majority nude expect for a pair of blue shorts with the Gaea House logo on the leg.  The giant was the biggest of any she had ever seen.  Of course that was before all the giants just abruptly disappeared.  No one knows what happened to them until the Gaea House was bombed by the military.  The military released videotape of some giants that were well above thirty-five feet.  This one made those giants seem small in comparison.  Cara thought better than to try and flee.

She watched as the giant carefully slid his hand under Jason’s limp body.  Cara then looked to the giant to see that he was on his hand and knees.  The giant gently cradled Jason on the palm of his hand.  Cara gasped when the giant took his other free hand and gently laid it on top of Jason.

“Look away.  This might be too bright for your eyes,” the giant whispered but to Cara it sounded like a normal tone of voice.  Cara not being the fool did as the oversize giant told her.

Bright light bathed Jason’s weak and dying body.  Jason moaned as he felt like he was enclosed in his own coffin.  Jason had felt the unusual smooth surface.  His eyes flicked open for a moment when he realized he was in some sort of pink shell.  Jason’s heart raced at the thought of being in an enclosed space but the light seemed to calm his nerves and unease.  Then Jason remembered walking through the woods with Cara.  He began to wonder how he got to this strange place when the ceiling moved away.  Jason was then staring up at the sky when an enormous face came into view.  Jason shuddered as he moved back in fear.  Jason realized he couldn’t move any further when he bumped into a row of fingers.

The handsome face frowned down at the small man.  It wasn’t just a frown but a look of hurt.  Just then Jason realized that the enormous giant saved his life.  Jason began to feel bad.  Jason knew from the pamphlets at his job that the giant wouldn’t harm him.  Jason had worked at Spartan Falls social services two days ago until he decided to up and resign.  He had to go through an evolution training course for the new laws the government was trying to pass.

The giant was enormous to even Jason who had many tours of Gaea House.  Jason estimated this giant to be twice the size as noted by the enormous hand Jason was presently sitting on.  The giant managed a small but sad smile while Jason calmed his nerves down enough to return it.

“Y-Y-You saved my life,” Jason finally said in a loud tone.  Jason last remembered the tree falling on him but not much else.  The giant gave a small nod.

“You have no need to yell.  I can hear you perfectly well,” Ethan whispered out.

“Thank you,” Jason said in his normal tone and Ethan’s smile widened.

“You were dying,” Cara sobbed.  Ethan kept his hand low to the ground so that the other human could be near her partner.  Ethan understood bonding more than any of the newborn titans.  Ethan spent the few months of his life growing up bonding with his family.  Keith made sure Ethan understood love.

Jason turned around to see Cara standing close to the giant’s hand.  She had given up on Jason until this enormous creature showed up and healed her boyfriend.  Tears filled Cara’s brown eyes.  Jason moved across the giant palm to see that he was close enough to the ground to jump off.  Ethan wasn’t going to stop the human man from doing so.  He understood the tiny man’s urgency to be with his loved one.

“You were dying until…,” Cara said as she looked up at Ethan who smiled warmly.  “What’s your name giant?”

“Ethan,” the titan whispered.  “I am not a giant.  I am a titan.”

“Titan?  That must be because of your size.  We have never seen a giant so huge before,” Cara said as she returned Ethan’s smile.  “Thank you Ethan.  My name is Cara and the man you saved is named Jason.  We promise not to tell anybody about you.”

“Thank you,” Ethan whispered.  “There is a favor you can do for me.”

“A favor?  Anything friend,” Jason said.  Ethan made both the humans feel cold because of his lack of clothes but they understood.  Cara admired the perfection of Ethan’s body.  His face looked like paintings of Vikings with his strong cleft chin and sky blue eyes.

“If you have a vehicle, I would like you to go and tell as many humans as you can to flee to the mountains.  War is on the horizon and I want as many lives as possible spared if not all.  I will return with others like myself and we will protect the mountains.  It is not safe,” Ethan whispers down the two humans who nod.

“Consider it done,” Jason said as he patted Ethan’s hand.  Ethan smiled down warmly and wished his new friends farewell.

 

Ethan made it up the very steep rock formation in no time.  The titan’s ability came by instinct.  He mentally sent out a message to his siblings who were worried by his disappearance.  I am safe.  I’m at the entry of the bolt hole.  Ethan sent out.

Thank heavens you’re safe Ethan.  We’ve been hiding your disappearance the best we can.  Sven finally talked some sense into Jane.  He has taken over as our leader.  Phoebe now looks to be about thirteen.  Alex and Emma refuse to leave her side.  Amber voice sounded in Ethan’s thoughts.

Tell Sven that I’m at the bolt hole.  I have taken some of Jane’s formula with me.  I’m going to see if I can recruit a few more titans.  This nonsense needs to end.  Ethan sent out.

I couldn’t agree more.  Ethan heard the voice of Sven.  What is going on topside?

Some of the humans are starting to flee the cities.  Seems Calvin Harper wants genocide of the human race.  We can’t allow that.  I have befriended some humans that are going to help evacuate.  They gave me their word not to tell.  I saved a man’s life.  Ethan transmitted out.

It’s nice to have some friends.  Make the recruits volunteer.  I don’t want the giants to feel forced.  We are doing damage control with Alex and Emma.  Jane is coming around.  Keep in touch if any new developments come along.  Sven thoughts came through to Ethan loud and clear.