- Text Size +

Being a single father isn’t an easy job.  Being a single father who is a giant with two human children and a newborn baby giant, well that was a whole new can of worms for Keith Black.  Ethan was literally bigger than the size of a horse.  Keith did his best to keep him feed and clean.  Kyle and Amber were a different challenge.  One of the Gaea House techs came by every morning to make sure the children were clean and clothed.  The techs also took care of the laundry and meals for Keith’s very small and very human children.  Eventually Steve assigned a full time tech for the Black’s.  She was a mere girl of twenty-two and her name was Kristy King.  She was a shy girl with a fascination for the giants.  She was also a farm girl with strawberry blond hair and big blue eyes.  Kristy looked like the princess from a fairy tale. 

Kristy jumped at the chance of living full time on the Gaea House property.  Her parents couldn’t afford college for her and Kristy always wanted to be a school teacher.  When she filled out the job application for Gaea House, little did she know that she would be working directly with the giants and their families let alone be offered a job as a full time nanny.  Kristy knew that the family she was assigned to recently had tragedy in their lives.  Kristy was filling the void left by Kathleen Black.  Kristy hoped that she can get along well with the giant and his family.

Kristy King nervously rang the bell on the large hangar door.  Normally the techs would let themselves in to take care of Keith Black’s children but today Kristy thought it would be polite to introduce herself to the giant and his family since she was staying with them.  Kristy only packed a suitcase in case things didn’t work out instead of moving all her belongings in at once.  She had no need for a lab coat or scrubs anymore.  Kristy was happy to be wearing her street clothes for this job.

The gigantic door opened to a brown haired handsome giant that Kristy immediately recognized as Keith Black.  She was taken by his looks.  Kristy was quite used to the giants by now but there was something different about this one.  Maybe it was the gigantic baby he held in his arms or the sadness in his eyes?

“You must be Kristy.  Steve told me all about you,” Keith said with a genuine smile as he looked down at the small woman.  “Come on in,” Keith then said as he stood aside.  Keith sensed the girl’s nervousness and so did Baby Ethan as he gently cooed.  Ethan had made progress within the month of his life.  The giants were finding out that the born giants seemed a lot more in tune with their surroundings than the Titan children.

Kristy slowly walked on in taking in the surroundings of the hangar.  Unlike most of the giants living on the Gaea House campus, the Black’s didn’t have personal belongings other than a few small items and a portrait of Kathleen that the giant Bradley Hester painted.  Kristy looked up at the painting of the raven haired woman.  Keith noticed Kristy studying the painting and thought that he had better tell her.

“That’s my wife Kathleen.  She passed away about a month ago,” Keith said.

“Mr. James told me all about it.  I’m sorry for your loss Mr. Black,” Kristy kindly said to the giant.  Keith peeked into her thoughts and saw that Kristy King is an honest person and that she loves children.

“Please call me Keith.  Last names are so…human,” Keith said with a smile.  Kristy returned Keith smile.

“That must be Baby Ethan.  My only experience with giant children is Mr. James’ son Tommy.  That’s the first baby I’ve ever seen.  He’s a little cutie,” Kristy said, trying to strike up a conversation with her new boss.

Keith gracefully moved down to the floor, holding Ethan the whole time.  He lays Ethan on the floor so that Kristy can get a better view of him.  Plus Keith wanted a closer look at the kids’ nanny.  Kristy King looked like the adorable All-American girl type.  She was petite with long flowing wavy hair.  She could have been a cheerleader at one time but Keith found out she was quite the opposite.  The girl is an epileptic, a disorder that she keeps hidden for the fear of being judged or discriminated against.  This didn’t bother Keith.  Gaea House didn’t discriminate against such things and neither did Keith.  Keith was saddened that Kristy had been discriminated and even made fun of, leaving the girl to have a shy but gentle demeanor.  Looks like we’re both damaged goods sweetheart.  Keith thought to himself.

Baby Ethan let Kristy tickle his chin.  Ethan’s instincts told him to be gentle around the small people.  He never tried to grab at them or squeeze them.  Ethan smiled and cooed at the small person who was returning his smiles.  Ethan liked the pretty little lady.

“He won’t hurt you.  Don’t ever be afraid of him,” Keith tells Kristy.

“Where are your other two kids, Mr…I mean Keith,” Kristy asked the giant.

“At school, they won’t be home for a while.  I’m glad you came early because there is a matter I need to discuss with you,” Keith said.

“What is it?  Are you going to red form them?”

“No, my wife signed the form but I’m putting it off for a bit.  Mr. James thought it best too.  My daughter Amber is having a hard time right now.  She blames Ethan for Kathy’s death.  I know the shot will change her perception but I want her to find a deep peace with Ethan.  Until she can find that peace, there will be no red form for neither of my older children.  Do you understand?”

“Perfectly, I don’t know who could hate this little guy,” Kristy said as she made faces at Ethan and Ethan laughed.  Keith smiled.  Keith had a strong feeling that Kristy was going to fit right in.

“Another thing you must know too.  I am having a house built off of Gaea campus.  As soon as it’s finished I’m moving there.  The house is on the outskirts of town.  If things work out with you, I’d like you to come along.  I’ve equipped it for cohabitation,” Keith tells the new nanny.

“We’ll see Keith.  I need to meet the children I will be caring for first,” Kristy said.  Kristy couldn’t believe how easy it was talking to a giant.  Giants weren’t rude like human beings were.  They were smart and funny at times.  Kristy loved working at Gaea House.

Keith smiled as he watched the human with his son.  Ethan even let Kristy make raspberries on his chubby cheeks.  Ethan just smiled and cooed at the attention he was receiving.  To Kristy, Ethan reminded her of her favorite horse she had as a girl but Ethan was no horse.

“Of course I’ll take care of Ethan.  Some of the giantesses have volunteered to watch him for me when I’m out doing Gaea House business,” Keith tells the small human.

“Understandable, I don’t know if I can change his diaper of feed him?  I know there is no way I can burp him,” Kristy tells Keith and then turns to Ethan.  “No, there is no way,” Kristy said in baby talk while making funny faces that had Ethan laughing.

“I’m glad Ethan likes you.  That will make it easier for me once he starts crawling around here.  Ethan is a giant but he is still a baby,” Keith said.

“I have three younger siblings.  Trust me, I know.  I helped my parents raise the younger two.  They were into everything when they started crawling,” Kristy said with an eye roll and Keith let out a gentle laugh.

“It’ll probably be a madhouse around here once Ethan gets his legs,” Keith said and Kristy smiled.  Keith wanted so much for his children to like Kristy.  Keith and Ethan are already sold on her.

Later in the day, Kyle and Amber came home from school.  Both children and Keith have been going to grief consoling to help them deal with the loss of Kathleen.  Keith misses his wife as much as the children miss her but poor Amber had taken it the hardest.  Keith was glad to hear that Steve choose a woman to help out around the house but he was surprised to see one so young.  Keith hoped his daughter could bond with Kristy and help her ease her loss a bit.  Kristy would be more like a big sister than a mother to his five year old but it will still be nice having another female around for her.

“Kids, this is your nanny Kristy,” Keith tells his kids.

“I’m too old for a nanny Dad,” Kyle said as he looked at Kristy.

“Think of me as one of the techs instead of a nanny,” Kristy tells the boy.

“I hope you can cook,” Kyle responded and Keith smiled down at his boy.

“I hope you like pizza because that’s what I made for supper,” Kristy said.

“Big whoop, I can take a package out of the freezer and put it in the oven,” Kyle responded with crossed arms.

“I made it from scratch.  You like pepperoni right?” Kristy said.

“Only the vegetarian kind.  Dad doesn’t eat meat and neither do I,” Kyle said, trying his best to be difficult.

“I’m a vegetarian too.  Been one since I was your age,” Kristy said with a smile.  Kyle glared at her.

“Now Kyle, quit being difficult.  You know there is no meat in this house.  Kristy made it herself, I watched her,” Keith tells his son.

“That’s okay Mr. Black that means more for Amber and me.  He can just eat cereal,” Kristy said as she looked up at Keith who was sitting on the floor with Ethan.  Ethan cooed and kicked since none of the little people were standing close.  The baby giant smiles and giggles at the human woman.

“Fine, I’ll eat your crummy pizza then.  Doesn’t mean I’ll like it,” Kyle said as he tried to storm away but Keith’s hand stopped him.

“Dad,” Kyle whined, staring at the wall of flesh blocking his path.  Being a giant gave Keith a whole new set of parenting challenges.  Keith never wanted his kids to feel like prisoners in a world of giants but he was also going to discipline them with a gentle hand.  Keith knew that the kids enjoyed having a giant for a father but he also knew that his size can scare them too.  Keith did his best to find a happy medium.  He still followed the no telepathy rule even though they weren’t aware of Keith’s talents.  Keith did his best to share his love even though the giant felt he spent more time with the baby.  In short, Keith was a good father.

“Be nice to Kristy.  Tell her you’re sorry or it’s off to bed with you.  No supper,” Keith tells his son in a low voice.  Kyle glares up at his dad.  Keith inwardly smiled when he realized his son is still the same person he’s always been.  Keith liked seeing his son act normal but Amber had been so introverted lately.  She hated Ethan with a passion and blamed him for everything.  This broke Keith’s heart.

“I’m sorry,” Kyle said as he rolled his eyes.  Keith gave his son a cross look.  “I’m sorry Kristy,” Kyle said in a more sincere tone.

“That’s better.  You and Amber go eat your food before it gets cold.  I’d like to have a few words with Kristy,” Keith said, taking the wall out of his son’s path.  The kids went off to the small glass enclosed kitchenette.

“You did well in handling that Keith,” Kristy complimented her new boss.

“I don’t like to use my size to scare them but I can’t have them walking all over me either.  I also have a no telepathy rule in this house which I honor,” Keith said and Kristy interrupted.

“Except for earlier when you were trying to root around my thoughts for information,” Kristy said and Keith’s jaw dropped.

“How did you know?” Keith asked.

“I’m sensitive you can say.  Please don’t judge me because of my disorder Mr. Black.  I can do this,” Kristy pleaded.  She hated being outed for who she is.  Kristy had lost jobs because of her disorder and she didn’t want to lose this one.  Keith gave her a warm and caring smile.

“Steve wouldn’t have hired you if he didn’t think you could work here.  How do you think the applicants to Gaea House get hired in the first place?  Steve only hires who he feels is honest, it has nothing to do with your work history,” Keith reassured the little human.

“That’s why my brain tickled so much.  He was reading our thoughts,” Kristy said and Keith nodded.

“It’s the only way we can ensure that people are honest with us.  Steve knew you were hiding a secret and he even knew why but that didn’t matter.  He felt that you were an overall honest person with kind thoughts.  Training and schooling has nothing to do with it.  People can always be trained but do they truly love what they do, usually no.  You love your work and that’s what matters most, not the paycheck.  Your epilepsy must make you sensitive to us.  Who knew a little human woman could have the upper hand on us,” Keith said and Kristy smiled.

Kristy joined the kids in the kitchenette while Keith watched while sitting on the floor next to his son.  Keith and Ethan’s diet consisted of liquid and the oversized vegetation from the gardens.  Keith stood up and went to get some formula for Ethan who liked to eat at the same time as his siblings.  Keith moved Ethan so that he was sitting up in his special seat and then he handed his son the drum of special formula.  Even though Ethan is only a month old, the boy already knew how to hold his own bottle.  Ethan faced the glassed in kitchenette so that he can see everybody eat while Keith kept an eye on him and popped open a shake for himself.