- Text Size +

That Anderson is such a fool. Thought the brittle old man watching his flat screen.  A red headed giant answers the questions of the chirping reporters, shyly looking into the camera.  The creature spoke in practically a whisper which sounded like a normal person’s speaking voice.

The Gaea Foundation must fall.  That Anderson is pouring all his money into this useless foundation.  Evolution my ass. Thought sixty-five year old tycoon and billionaire, Calvin Harper.  Calvin envied his business rival even before the change.  Alexander Anderson was young and fresh, everything that made his internet social site and other business ventures popular, whereas Calvin Harper came from old money.  Alexander Anderson also had the looks of a movie star which earned him a certain amount of celebrity in the business world, whereas tycoon Calvin Harper suffered from a crippling bone disorder that caused him to be mostly a recluse.

Calvin groaned when he saw the latest cover of Fortune 500 magazine.  It showed Alexander Anderson standing next to a giraffe, standing much taller than the animal.  Alex smiles as he feeds the animal.  The main title read, ‘The Next Big Business.’

Calvin called in Franklin Morgan.  Franklin sat across from Calvin.  Calvin couldn’t stand Franklin, but endured the man for his knowledge.  Franklin had been working undercover at the famed Gaea House since its inception.  Calvin knew plenty of things before it hit the media.  He knew about the pregnancy of Alexander Anderson’s wife, Emma.  He also knew about the second wave of growth spurts. He knew about the slow growing pregnant giantesses.  He knew about their telepathy.   He also knew about Steven James, but today, today Franklin Morgan came with some interesting news…

Franklin Morgan was a bottom feeder of a man.  He only thought of himself.  A man of average build and height with an average face.  Everything about Franklin was pretty average, so needless to say the man envied the large people he came in contact with on a daily basis.  Franklin could also be cunning and clever, so when a billionaire approached him about a ‘special project,’ Franklin jumped at the offer.

Vin had chosen which of his techs he trusted enough to be a part of the giants’ top secret project and much to Franklin’s dismay, he wasn’t one of the chosen.  It was probably because Franklin treated the giants more like a science project than people or it was because he looked up his fellow tech, Allison Hayes’ dress after she had grown to gigantic proportions.  Franklin couldn’t pinpoint the reason, but he knew he had to find out what was going on.

Franklin tried to thin out the herd, so to speak on the lab techs working on the project.  Overpowering Allison Hayes was way out of the question.  Vin Gunderson was too high profile and Robin McAllister was a tough old bat that would sooner die than to tell anyone what was going on.  Franklin targeted a middle age balding tech by the name of Oliver Mott.  Oliver was a man afraid of his own shadow.  Franklin could see that he would be the weak link.

Franklin offered to take Oliver out for a drink to celebrate his promotion and of course Oliver being friendless and single was more than happy to go.  Franklin drove him far out into some wooded area and held the poor man at gunpoint.  Needless to say that Oliver sung like the fat lady before Franklin fired the shot.  Franklin had to kill him, Oliver was too weak.  His mind would leak Franklin’s little secret.  Franklin disposed of the body in such an expert way that even if it was discovered, Franklin couldn’t be tracked.  The advantages of being a white coat.

“Get on with it, Morgan.  This visit better be worth it,” Calvin barked.

“Oh, it is, I can guarantee you that,” Franklin smirked.

“It better be.  You know that I’m a busy man.”

“I found out the Gaea Foundation’s biggest secret to date.  Those mega-humans are working on a top secret project.  One of their techs had to meet his end to tell me,” Franklin said, smugly. 

“Tell me, man!”

“They are attempting to grow the children,” Franklin said, giving the bitter and brittle old man an evil smile.

“Good God!  They’re evolving children!  Have they succeeded?”

“Well, they have thirteen subjects all together.  Six of those subjects come from evolved parents.  A couple of poor farmers from Iowa named Aaron and Sally Smith has volunteered all five of their children, but the sixth one is of high interest,” Franklin said as Calvin raised an eyebrow.  Calvin had wanted Franklin to kidnap Melinda James before she became too big to overpower, but Franklin feared the enormous giant she called her husband and delayed his actions too long.  There was no way Franklin was going to try to kidnap a woman that stood more than a head taller than him.

“Whose child is it?”

“Does the name Thomas James ring a bell?” Franklin said, enjoying this sadistic guessing game.

“Good Lord!  That red-headed mega-human’s son!” Calvin declared.  “How has their progress been?”

“Well, six of the thirteen children have taken to the serum with amazing results.  The other seven have taken to it as well, but not like the six,” Franklin said.

“Let me guess which six, the ones whose mothers’ DNA was chosen for this project?”

Franklin nodded.  “All the children are evolving slowly, but those six haven’t shown the virus like illness.  Their bodies have adapted like their mothers’ have.  Of course the younger ones are growing a little more than their usual spurts, but nothing noticeable as of yet,” Franklin said, satisfied with himself.

“Get me the James boy!  We need to study this!” Calvin barked.  Franklin knew not to say anything else or Calvin would send his bodyguard, so Franklin took leave of the old man with ambitions of ruling the world.  That crazy old bat is planning his army.  Franklin thought to himself.

 

Tommy felt small to Melinda.  Lately her growth spurts have become more and more lately.  At seven and a half feet, Melinda felt awkward.  It was getting harder and harder for her to maneuver the small kitchen area.  Even bending over the normal size bathtub to wash Tommy was becoming a chore.  The world has definitely gotten smaller for Melinda James.

Steve watches his wife with sadness in his heart.  Soon Melinda will become too big to be of any help to Tommy, just as he has gotten so big.  Tommy’s growth has been slow, but he is already showing signs of changes.  The boy’s appetite has increased to the point to where he can eat as much as a grown man.  He has been slowly growing out of his age range in height and weight, but Tommy was still the size of a mouse to Steve.

Soon I’ll have my son back to the way he ought to be.  We had to do this.  Steve broadcasted out to his loving wife.

Aaron said the environment is changing.  Today he gives the humans another twenty years until they won’t be able to step foot outside in the daylight without getting some form of cancer.  He also says that some of the plant life is showing signs of changing.  Emma has definitely backed him up on this.  It’s like everything is going back to the Jurassic age except without the dinosaurs.  Melinda broadcasted.

“The new age of man,” Steve mumbled.  “And we are the Adams and Eves only this time we won’t make the mistake of biting into the apple.”

Melinda nodded as she dressed Tommy for bed.  She dressed him in his blue footie pajamas made from the new expanding material, a material made from recycled materials.  She thanked Alex for coming up with it, especially with all the growing going on in Alpha Two.

Steve crouched down as low as he could possibly go.  He put his hand down in front of Tommy.  Tommy laughed and hopped on, he loved it when his oversize father picked him up.

“Wow son, you are getting heavy,” Steve joked with the tot that weighed no more than a feather to him.

“I’m getting big,” Tommy exclaimed with his childish laugh.

“You certainly are,” Steve responded in his whisper of a voice.  Steve takes a mental note of Tommy’s fading freckles and birthmark on his right arm.  Even Tommy’s hair was changing to that blood red color.  Other than that, Tommy looked like a typical three year old to Steve.

“Tomorrow is my birthday,” Tommy announced.

“Oh yeah, you’re going to be four,” Steve said with a warm smile.

“Yeah, Mrs. Robin is taking me to the toy store so I can pick out a new toy.  I think I want a trunk,” Tommy says.

Before we know it, he won’t be playing with toy trucks.  I wonder if Robin has the money for a real truck.  Melinda broadcasted to Steve with a playful smile on her perfect face.  Melinda had grown into the most beautiful woman in Steve’s eyes.  Even down to her baby bump.

“That’s great son,” Steve said.  Tommy began to pout as sadness filled his cherub face.  Steve frowned.  “What’s wrong buddy?” Steve then asked.

“I wish you and Mommy can take me,” Tommy said sadly.  Steve could take him now that he’s out to the world, but Steve can’t enter normal size buildings considering that he is the size of most.  Plus there also entails calling the authorities for escort and all the media that would surround him the moment he stepped foot off of Gaea House property.  Screw the media!  I’ll see if Robin would like to travel by giant.  Steve broadcasted.

It’ll mean the world to him.  I’ll call Vin so he can set up arrangements with the local police. Melinda broadcasted with a small smile.

 

The following day and for the first time in almost a year, Steven James took his first steps outside the chain link fence.  Two police cars in front of him and two behind, all four cars giving Steve enough space to walk comfortably.  The cops marveled at all the giants walking around the Gaea House property until they saw who they were going to escort to the toy store.  They watched as a tall, thin gray haired woman and a redheaded tot just casually stepped on his hand.  The boy appeared no bigger than a mouse in the giant’s hand, but the child just laughed.  This wasn’t the first time the local authorities escorted one of Dr. Gunderson’s giants.

Alexander Anderson made a large donation to the Spartan Falls police with the stipulation that if escort was ever needed, the manpower would be there.  Alex didn’t want any of the giants causing accidents, so whenever any giant wanted to leave the property via the roadways, they could.

Robin got a different view of the world sitting atop a giant’s hand holding a very happy four year old in her lap.  Steve’s handsome face smiled down at them as he walked his normal pace of twenty mile an hour.

When Steve got to the populated area, he followed all the signs and traffic signals.  He had to step carefully over the traffic lights, but he didn’t want to have to be a burden on the humans in their cars with places to go, but traffic stopped anyway for the nearly thirty foot giant.  They all stared up at him in awe.  Steve felt his stomach doing flip-flops.

Robin patted his hand.  “You’re doing good Steve,” Robin said, cheering Steve on.  Robin was well aware of Steve’s social anxieties.  Steve had an uncharacteristic shyness that the other giants didn’t have; it was once a part of his human personality as the nerdish lab tech he once was.  Hard to believe that a living and breathing walking god was once shy and awkward and in some ways, Steve still is.

He made it to the parking lot of the toy store.  Steve dropped Robin and Tommy off at the front door.  Children and their parents coming out of the store stared up at the giant.  Steve gave them a warm yet shy smile.  He tried to hide his face with his long red hair.  Some of the children laughed while a few screamed in terror at the giant standing in the parking lot.  Steve took no offense to the terrorized children.  He could read their thoughts to see that they just didn’t understand.  One little boy yelled, “Giant!”  His mother corrected him and told him that it wasn’t polite to stare.  Steve knew that his mother was all for giant rights because of her recently evolved brother.  “He’s bigger than Uncle Brad,” the little boy exclaimed.  Gaea House helped the newly evolved, but there are a few that would go at it alone and this woman’s brother was one of them.  Gaea Foundation delivered shakes to his barn that was what Steve picked out from the woman’s thoughts.

“I’m sorry about my boy,” The woman looked up at Steve with sincere eyes.

“It’s quite alright, ma’am.  I’ve got one of my own.  He just turned four today and he wanted nothing more than to have his good old dad take him to the toy store,” Steve said, striking up a conversation with the brunette woman.  Steve usually doesn’t speak much, but this woman seemed approachable and sympathetic.

“That was your little boy.  He’s pretty big for a four year old,” the woman said with a smile.  “You must be proud.”

“I am.  His mother couldn’t come so I thought I would, even though I can see the roof of the store from here,” Steve said with a shy smile.

“I’ve seen you on T.V.  You’re the largest man in the world,” the kindly woman said.  Steve smiled at the thought of being called a man again.  “You are much bigger in person.”

“I try not to be,” Steve mumbled.  The woman gave him a sad gaze.

“I’ve offended you.  I’m sorry.  My name is Leah Hester and this is my son Josh.  He just turned four too,” the pretty brunette woman said.

“Steven James and that’s my son Tommy,” Steve said, pointing to his son carrying a large plastic dump truck.  Tommy’s eyes lit up at the sight of coming out of the parking lot to his dad.  Two police officers flaked both sides Tommy and Robin.

“Daddy!”  Tommy yelled as he ran out to Steve.  “Look at what I got!”  Tommy held up the plastic yellow truck.  Steve’s smile got bigger at his son’s excitement.

Steve noticed a considerable size difference between Josh and Tommy.  Tommy looked healthy compared to the normal four year old; he also stood a whole head taller than the other boy.  This was the first realization that the serum was working.  It was hard to gage Tommy’s height to the other children in the project because they were all growing fairly normal to a giant’s eye, but this was the first time the results were truly visible.  Happy Birthday son, you got your wish.  Steve thought to himself.