- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


This is a 4 way crossover involving characters from all 4 of Irwin’s television serieses: “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” , “Lost in Space” , “Time Tunnel” and “Land of the Giants.” Occasional pretextual references to episodes of the shows occur in the stories. Watch the shows first if you’re worried about spoilers.
Chapter titles are puns based on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episode titles.

Mark and Valerie and Betty were walking through the giant city one night, when they came to a large compound. They snuck into the building undetected, and were surprised to see two familiar faces.

“It’s Kobick and Altha,” said Valerie.

“Who’s Altha?” asked Betty.

“Do you remember when Fitzhugh and Val and I went to help a scientist named Franzen work on the guidance system for a spaceship?” asked Mark.

“Yes. I wasn’t there, but I knew from discussions back at the ship that it caused a certain tension between Steve and Dan. Dan wasn’t sure whether or not we should get involved with a giant scientist. Steve thought that what happened confirmed his suspicions.”

“Franzen never betrayed us. Logar betrayed him. He lost his life in an explosion, while insisting on our freedom. Altha tried to kill all three of us with the neutralizer. Kobick was after us at the time too, which didn’t help,” said Mark.

“Let’s hear what they’re saying,” said Betty.

Hiding behind a large piece of equipment, they peeked out at a giant spaceship. On a giant scale, it was about as large as the time ship (left behind by Oles and Fielder) had been to the earthlings.

Inspector Kobick, head of the Special Investigation Department (SID) was talking.

“Altha, we’ll go to earth and help ourselves to samples of advanced little people technology. We’ll never get it any other way. Even while I’ve had some of them in my custody, I’ve never been able to pry any information about their ship or other technology out of them. Now we can go their world and work the problem from the other end. We’ll bring back things for you to study and for me to present to the supreme council as the proudest moment of my career. I’ve informed the council that I’m going on a vacation to take the extended leave I earned, when I stopped Dr Greer’s plan to blow up our city. Lieutenant Grayson will be Acting Head of SID until we return.”

“He stopped Dr Greer?” laughed Valerie quietly, “It was largely our doing. He wouldn’t even listen, when he had Fitzhugh and me held for questioning.”

“Shh,” said Mark, “I want to know more. We’ve got to stop this ship of theirs from raiding our planet.”

“I’m glad to help you,” said Altha, “If Logar hadn’t stopped you from taking the little people in the first place, then Franzen and I would have finished this spaceship months ago, without any help from Wilson on our guidance system or any other part of the design.”

“You did use Wilson’s modifications though?” said Kobick, who was well aware that Wilson was the scientific expert in the group of earthlings.

“Yes, but I’ll never get over the way one of them blew up our first model, killing my husband.”

“That’s what they do,” said Kobick, “I’ve had so many reports of deaths and damages resulting from explosions caused by the Little People. There was a professor who was working on night glasses that would have made it far easier for us to see and catch the little pests, when they operate at night, as they so often did. His laboratory and all his work were blown up, killing him as well. It must have been the little people. They’re the only ones with a motive. They caused a hydraulic man prototype to run amok and kill its inventor Professor Gorn. They caused an explosion that took the life of a police chief, because his assistant had invented a chemical foam which would have been invaluable in interrogating these earthling invaders. It just goes on and on. Chief Bulgar heard of their attempt on a depot, which caused another explosion. Yet Bulgar’s reports were shut down because Senator Obek actually sympathizes with those dangerous miniature saboteurs. I knew that the only way to get them was to get to their own planet.”

“They’ll do it, using your own design modifications,” whispered Valerie.

“We could actually get back to earth and stop them in the process if we snuck into their ship,” said Betty.

“Inspector, have you ever been married?” asked Altha.

“No. I suppose I was too busy rising in the ranks to find the right woman,” said Kobick.

“I always thought I’d found the right man, until he sold us out to the Little People,” said Altha, “Somehow I doubt you’d do that.”

“I could never understand why Dr Berger helped them with our Delta device either. He even tried to frame his assistant Andre for it,” said Kobick, “I wouldn’t help them get away with anything.”

“He really talks a lot of propaganda,” said Valerie.

“He’s got a willing listener,” said Mark, “Franzen’s widow blames us for everything. The fact that she tried to kill us doesn’t seem to count for much on the guilt scale to her.”

“I think they’re about to shift to a more domestic discussion,” said Betty.

“We’ll leave as planned in two nights’ time,” said Kobick.

“Would you take me out to dinner to celebrate what we’ve planned?” asked Altha.

“I’d like that,” said Kobick, “But it all came about as a result of your achievements. You even had this compound modified with an opening roof, so our ship can launch from here.”

“You got me the freedom to operate unmonitored, in secret, unhindered,” said Altha.

“I’ll pick you up at 6:00 tomorrow evening. I know a great restaurant, where I once got some chicken to keep me going during that stake out for the little people at the zoo,” said Kobick.

The two giants left the compound.

“Can’t we sabotage this stuff?” asked Valerie.

“They’d know it was us, and put SID guards on the place and repair it. We’ll have to get back to the Spindrift and tell Steve what we’ve found. We’ve only 2 days to decide what to do,” said Mark.