- Text Size +

     “Doctor Yoshida! Doctor!” I piped, darting amongst the scientists. I spied him leaning forward on his desk, his hand on his forehead.

      “Yes Mr. Bronson? What is it now.”


      “Evelyn is gone! She went downtown!”


      “What!? Why now of all times!” he slammed his fist on the desk.


       I didn’t understand, and he turned to me to explain.


      “We just finished the cure for the female specimen. We’re producing it now. But now she’s run off!”


      “Doctor, what about the giantess downtown? You know the one destroying the city? What was your plan for her?”


      “The military will take care of it, that’s their jurisdiction.”


      I didn’t want the hear that. I’d been in the military. I knew how they would handle the situation, especially when Evelyn started stomping around. As two dangerous targets started flattening the town, it was going to be difficult to distinguish between a friendly giantess and a threatening one. When civilian’s lives were on the line, necessary sacrifices would need to be made. I didn’t want to think about it.

      “Doctor… give me the sample cure. I can fix this.”


      He scoffed. “You’re 3 feet tall, what are you going to do? Smarten up Bronson, and stay here, if you know what’s good for you.”


      He stood up, angered with me. “I’ve got a cure to develop,” he said as he walked over to a group of scientists.

      Unacceptable.

      That was unacceptable. There was no way I was going to sit idly by while the military blew the woman I loved away.


      As the scientific community around me celebrated the finding of the cure, I snuck about, gathering various things that I would need- a 4 inch utility knife and keys to a company vehicle. I pocketed these items in my tiny shorts as I eavesdropped on their conversation.


      After five minutes, I’d learned all I needed to know. The cure was in a pill form, and they had only made two so far. It was meant to be ingested, which made my mission far more difficult. It didn’t matter however; I was going to do this.

      Overjoyed, Dr. Yoshida held the two pills in his hands. “We’ve done it gentlemen! We’ve beaten the odds yet again!” He beamed to his circle of scientists.


      His back was turned to me. I climbed up on a chair, then onto a nearby table. He was about four feet away at this point. I gripped the knife behind my back- I knew I was only going to get one shot at this. As I prepared to jump, I saw the eyes of Dr. Yoshida’s coworkers widen as they realized what I was about to do.


     I leapt through the air, landing roughly on Yoshida’s back. I dug my heels into his sides, brought my left arm around his throat and brandished the knife with the other, where everyone could see.


      “All right, nobody do anything stupid,” I barked. “Set the pills on the table doc.”


      Yoshida complied. I quickly scooped the pills up, pocketing them as I held the knife to his throat.

      “Here’s what’s going to happen. You eggheads are going to keep working on this cure. I’m going to take the good doctor and he’s going to show me which vehicle these belong to.” I flashed the keys. “And no one is getting hurt today. No one.”


      The scientists backed off. “To the parking lot. Go.” I said to Yoshida, the sharp point of my knife playing on his trachea.


      He carried me on his back to where the company vehicles where. We tried several of them with the keys before we found the right one.


      “Jack, I know what you’re thinking. This isn’t going to work. The pills only work through digestion, and even then at a pretty slow rate. You’re never going to be able to get those women to eat it.”


      “I have to try.”


      “You’re being a fool. Let the military take care of this. You used to be in the military, right? It will all be ok.”


      “They’ll blow her away without thinking twice, Doc. I can’t allow that. She’s my whole life.” It was true- Evelyn WAS my whole life. I couldn’t bear to think of losing her.


      I climbed into the vehicle and released my hold on the doctor. In that moment he seemed to understand why I was doing exactly what I was doing. I sheathed my knife behind my back.


      “Is there anything I can do to help you Jack?” he asked.


      “Keep working on that cure. Get it done.” I started the van. “Oh, and one more thing.”


      “What’s that?”


     “….can you adjust this stupid seat?”