- Text Size +
In the pedestrianised area of their bustling city street, a crowd of giants and giantess’ had gathered.
Gathered to see wonders and spectacles, as performed by the great street magician’s ‘Mrs Merlin and The Little Houdini’
What made this pair so attention grabbing was that; as the name suggests, ‘The Little Houdini’ was a human.
After a long history of abuse at the hands of giants, humans rarely ventured into giant cities.
Even with treaties and laws in place, humans were still weary of them.
Most giants would never have seen a human in person before, so the chance to see a human as a street performer was to good to resist.

The crowd cheered, clapped and whistled as ‘The Little Houdini’ proved he was worthy of his name.
‘Mrs Merlin’ had tied him up with string and placed him in a glass box.
As she sat on the lid, the only hole was used to fill the box with water, and then blocked.
The crowd watched as the human wriggled his way out of the string, and swam to the bottom of the box.
‘Mrs Merlin’ then covered the box with a black cloth and stood back.
Before anyone knew it, he dropped to the floor between the legs of the stool the box was sitting on.
Not only had he escaped the box, he had magically passed through an inch of wood as well.

“And for my last trick” Mrs Merlin proudly announced.
She walked over and picked up her sidekick.
“I will need a volunteer”
Plenty of hands shot up as she grabbed and put together two halves of a pole that was slightly taller than her.
“You there” She picked some random person nearby
She put one end of the pole on the ground.
“If you would be so kind as to hold this for me”
The audience member did as they were told.
She reached up and placed ‘The Little Houdini’ on a flat square on the top end of the pole.
“Hold it steady now”
‘The Little Houdini’ walked to the edge of the square and blindfolded himself.
‘Mrs Merlin’ played a recording on a drum roll, and stood in position near the pole.
Simultaneously, the drum roll ended, and ‘The Little Houdini’ did a perfect swan dive of the edge of the Square.

The crowd gasped, then fell silent.
‘The Little Houdini’ jumped off the top of the pole, and straight into ‘Mrs Merlin’s’ mouth.
The aiming was absolutely perfect. He didn’t just jump into her mouth; he jumped straight down her throat.
There must’ve been some trick to it. Eating humans was illegal, and those who did it were punished severely.
The crowd wasn’t sure what to think.
She couldn’t really have eaten him, but how else could they have done it.
They were even more shocked when ‘Mrs Merlin’ had some audience members confirm he was inside her by putting their ear against her stomach, and listening to him clap his hands.
She had really eaten him; she had just eaten a human in front of a crowd of people.

After teasing the crowd with lip licking, ‘Mrs Merlin’ faced them and began rubbing and patting her stomach with both hands.
She then put her hand down the back of her pants, and gave a cartoonish look of being deep in thought.
After a few seconds a look of shock shot across her face. She then looked at the crowed, gave a nervous smile, and went back to searching.
The crown began whispering, looking slightly worried themselves.
After longer than it would take to search through her entire outfit, ‘Mrs Merlin’ took a step back and looked at the crowd with fear.
The crowd was staring back silently; they all knew what had happened.
She had really eaten him.
She was a murderer.

Everyone was silent.
They were all staring at the terrified girl, with her fists clenched.
She had no idea what to do; she just kept looking at the crowd that was only just cheering for her.
Just as the silence was about to become unbearable, her hat fell off her head and landed upside down.
The crowd erupted into cheers, applause, whistles and all other forms of praise.
‘The Little Houdini’ stood on her head, gave a bow with his arms out to his sides.
‘Mrs Merlin’ picked him off of her head, and gave a bow herself.
The crowd rushed forward to put money in the upturned hat, cheering and clapping all the while.
The whole thing had been an act.

As usual, it proved to be a spectacular final trick.
The hat had landed ready to accept the audience’s money, which there was plenty of.
‘Mrs Merlin’ gave ‘The Little Houdini’ a kiss, and then they both bowed to the crowd.

The duo packed up their things, took their days earnings, and headed off down the street.

The End