- Text Size +

Chapter 2: Extra Money        

Mike suddenly woke up due to the sound of a loud banging on the front door. He looked around and saw that he was in his bedroom, laying on his front on the bed with his legs still on the floor. He noticed that his head was spinning as if he was had a hang over. The banging on the front door didn’t let up; Mike noticed that it was getting louder. He slowly climbed off his bed, stumbles towards the front door and peaked through the peephole. On the other side of the door, he saw that it was a young short woman and that she looked annoyed. “Okay! Okay” shouted Mike as the woman began to bang on the door again. Mike opened the door and looked at the woman, whom just stood there with her arms crossed looking up at him.     

“You’re late!” snapped the woman as she gave him a look that sent a chill down his spine. “Late...late for what?” asked Mike as he rubbed his eyes. “You’re late with the rent!” yelled the woman as she took a step towards him. “Late for rent? I got two more days left” said Mike as he stepped back away from her. “I gave you a notice three days ago and guess what?” asked the woman as she took a step inside, “today’s the third day”Mike just looked at her all confused, not really understanding as to what it was she was saying.

He looked through his pockets and found the notice that the ripped off the front door. He looked at it and saw that the date on the noticed said that it was the 3rd of June. “Erm, sorry for asking but what’s the date today?” asked Mike as he looked at her. “God” said the woman under her breath as she shook her head. “Sorry” said Mike. “It’s the 6th Mike! Now then, where’s my rent!” snapped the woman. “Don’t worry Donna...don’t worry. I got it, I just need to withdraw it” said Mike as he took another step back. “Well you better, you got till lunch time and if I don’t have it by then,” said the woman known as Donna, “Then you best go and find another place to live”Mike got himself ready, grabbed hold of his coat and said to Donna, “Don’t worry, don’t worry...I will get you your money” “Better hurry up then, you only got a two hours left before lunch” said Donna as she saw him rush out and headed towards the nearest cash point.

Mike rushed down the street, with his head still spinning. “How the heck did I miss three days” mumbled Mike to himself, “It just doesn’t make any sense” Mike just kept on mumbling how everything doesn’t make sense till he reached the local shops which had a cash point.“Oh” said Mike as he suddenly felt light headed as soon as he reached the cash point. He held his head with his right hand and saw that there wasn’t a line. He stood in front of the machine, took out his cash card, insert it in and input his pin code.                   

“What’s the point in this?” asked Mike to himself as he knew that he doesn’t have the right amount of money. He checked his how much he got and when the screen showed him the amount, he felt like he was going to have a heart attack.“Wait...wait...wait a minute” said Mike as he rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn’t seeing things. He looked on and saw that in his bank account he got a grand total of three million pounds. “This can’t be right” said Mike as he ejected the cash card and input it in again, thinking that it’s a glitch. After putting in his pin number, he went to the same screen and saw the same amount of money.

Nervously, Mike pushed down the amount of money he needed to withdraw. Money went out of the machine; he grabbed it and placed it in his pocket.He looked left and right from where he stood, making that there wasn’t anyone looking because he thinks that he’s being stitched up for something. Mike noticed that there wasn’t any strange looking people and cars that look out of place.   With that, Mike took his cash card out of the machine and rushed off back to his home.As soon as he made it back, he saw Donna was waiting outside his front door. “Ah Mike you made it back okay then” said Donna as she saw him walking up.

“Erm...yeah, here you go” said Mike as he took out the rent money. “Now that’s more like it,” said Donna as she took the money off him and count it, “You know, I thought you were bluffing when you said you got the money” she said this as she finished counting. “Is everything good?” asked Mike as he saw Donna put the money in her pocket.

“For this month yeah,” said Donna as she turned round, pointed towards him as she looked back, “Just don’t be late next time as I may not be as nice” Mike just looked at her as she walked off. Taking a deep breath, Mike went back inside and crashed on his bed.As he rested his head on his pillows, Mike slowly felt himself slowly drifting to sleep when suddenly his telephone began to ring. Mike shot up from his bed, stumbled towards the telephone and answered it.“Hello?” asked Mike, as he held his head up with his free hand. “Erm Mike?” answered a familiar voice. “Yeah?” asked Mike as he wasn’t thinking straight. “Mike, I need that money you own the bookies” answered the voice hastily.

Mike noticed that the voice belonged to Lauren.“Yeah...okay, I go and it Lauren...don’t worry” said Mike as he tried to calm Lauren down. “Better hurry before the boss look at the books” said Lauren fast. With that, Mike got himself ready and rushed off back to the cash point again. Once there, he withdrew the amount of money that he needs to give to Lauren. Placed the money in his pocket and rushed off towards the bookies. He noticed that it wasn’t as busy as it was the last time he was there. “Ah Mike thank god you’re here” said Lauren as she spotted him entering the bookies. “Don’t worry...where is the boss?” asked Mike as he walked towards the counter. “He’s in the back, he hasn’t started yet. You got it” answered Lauren as she looked at the door that leads to the back room.

Mike took out the amount of money that he owns her on the counter. “Ah Mike thank you, thank you!” said Lauren as she hastily grabbed hold of the money. She rushed to the back room, making sure that the boss doesn’t see her and placed it in the bookies vault. Lauren made it back to the counter and saw that Mike was still there. “Oh you’re a life saver Mike” said Lauren as she leaned against the counter. “Just returning what I own” said Mike as he smiled at her. Lauren smiled back at him.

As Mike turned around and leaves the bookies, he stopped in his step and turned to look back at Lauren. “What is it?” asked Lauren as she noticed that he was looking at her. “Erm...do...do you want...erm” said Mike as he was finding the words hard to say.Lauren stood up straight, hands on her hips and a smile on her face said, “Mike, are you trying to ask me out for dinner?” Mike just nodded. Lauren walked over from the counter and towards him and answered, “Why I love to”Mike’s face lit up as she said that. “I...pick you up at eight...is that okay?” asked Mike as he scratched the back of his head. “Can you drive Mike?” asked Lauren.

“Well erm no...” answered Mike. “Hmm, don’t worry about that Mike, I shall pick you up at eight” said Lauren as she smiled at him even more.“Are you sure? I’m...sorry that I can’t drive” said Mike as he lowered his arm. “Don’t worry about it,” said Lauren as she walked back over to the counter. “Erm...do you know where I live?” asked Mike as he was about to turn round. “Of course I do, after all I’ve been there before remember” answered Lauren as a customer entered the bookies.

Mike was beginning to question what she said as he doesn’t remember bringing her over his place. He felt that he shouldn’t ask as he saw that Lauren was busy. With that he headed out. He made it back to his place, took his jacket and shoes off and jumped onto his bed. With his alarm to wake him up at seven, giving him time to get himself ready. With that, he placed his head onto his pillow and slowly drifted off to sleep.