- Text Size +
"Caught Looking"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 11: Minding the store

"I wish you wouldn't be like this..." Natalie moaned softly under her breath, her head slightly tilted down as she walked into the garage alongside her mother.

"Like what?" her mother asked inquisitively, "You made a commitment to Katie and I think it's nice that you're upholding it"

"Oh. Oh yeah..." Natalie sighed, "I.. uh... yeah"

The fact that her mother didn't know is that Natalie wasn't referring directly to her. She was instead directing her voice downward at me -- the tiny puppet inside of her purse -- or sex toy -- or pet, depending on what mood the ladies were in. This was all my fault and now I'd have to live with this guilt for as long as I would live, if that's even long. I felt a slight lifting sensation as Natalie stepped into her mother's car and the door slammed. I closed my eyes, beginning to feel motion sickness almost immediately as the car backed out onto the road.

We weren't even going very fast but just the slightest sensations were jarring to me. As I looked about at the giant objects, my mind grew even more afraid and disoriented. My vision grew fuzzy as I could faintly make out the conversations of the giants on either side of me. I felt like I were suspended from above and the blood was rushing to my head ... or maybe my feet?

I struggled to stand so I made the obvious choice and allowed my body to fall into a limp, sitting position. It wouldn't be long before we'd arrive at the pet shop. I just had to wait this out -- but I couldn't. The dizzying sensation grew worse and I finally gave in. I groaned as I heaved into Natalie's purse, retching around my immediate area. I felt a slight sense of relief but then terror, as I wondered what the giant girl would do to me if she saw what I did to her purse. I began to sob quietly as the motion continued. Finally, I blacked out.

When I awoke, I found myself in a quieter, more stationary environment. I could hear people but they sounded further away than before, and I could even make out Natalie's voice as she interacted with a few of them.

"Whoop," I heard her say, "be careful"

I then heard a little girl exclaim in joy and I could make out the distant noise ofa puppy barking, bringing back slight visions of Natalie's dog bearing its massive teeth. I slowly pulled myself up to my feet and looked around. I was still in Natalie's purse, but one could never be too sure anymore. I could still smell the puke and noticed my face was damp. I groaned in disgust and clumsily wiped the fluid off from around my mouth. I looked up hopelessly, realizing how tall everything was in comparison to my pint sized body. I felt like no matter how close Natalie might have been to her bag, she may as well be miles away because I had no manner of getting to her.

Just like that, I was lifted again. I fell to the ground but managed to take a deep breath this time, anticipating a bumpy ride. The purse swung slightly back and forth as I could hear Natalie a lot more clearly. She walked a fair distance with the purse, as my headache slowly returned and she then let the purse hang softly off her shoulder. She unbuttoned the top and peered down.

"Bobby?" she asked nervously, "are you okay?"

I looked up at her with a blank stare, probably appearing no more coherent than the puppy she had just shown to the little girl.

"Bobby, I'm sorry about this morning, but I'm still going to help you" Natalie said. I remained in shock. She frowned, but continued talking "if it's any consolation to you, I've been having a pretty lousy day..."

When she spoke, I noticed she faked a smile. She wasn't really happy about having a lousy day (at least, I'd imagine not) but she seemed to be trying to cheer me up. I relaxed a little bit but still remained speechless. There wasn't really much I could say, and plus she'd probably never hear it anyway.

"...well, what am I saying?" Natalie said, pausing for a moment, "you probably don't wanna hear about my day after all you've been through, huh?"

There was another long pause, during which I said nothing. Natalie continued on anyway.

"...I guess I should've thought more about this before I volunteered, huh?" Natalie chuckled, almost as if she were having a conversation with herself. I offered nothing in form of a response but she continued talking, "I was never really great with animals... I mean, I like them but they don't seem to like me and I have trouble taking care of them... they always try to run away... or worse... they vomit on me or something, y'know?"

I instantly started to blush when she said that but I hoped she wouldn't see. The lighting wasn't ideal so Natalie continued on her "speech".

"I had this one lady ask me for an African Parakeet..." Natalie said, as if she were talking to one of her girlfriends on the phone, "...as if I know what that is, that's bullshit, huh? I'm like 'We have lots of birds' and she's like 'well i wanna speak to a manager because so and so said you had an african parakeet you just got in'..."

Again, she paused.

"Of course..." Natalie chuckled, looking down at me, "she didn't really say 'so and so', she said somebody's name... I just can't remember, yknow?"

It was almost as if the giant was nervous around me...

"Anyway, I just had a couple minutes to talk because I'm on my break now... luckily, Katie's parents have been pretty cool. They don't seem to mind that I barely know what I'm doing" Natalie said, rolling her eyes at her own statement. Had I been normal sized, I may have been more engaged in this conversation but as it was, I remained nervous about what she'd do when she realized I puked in her purse and had no way to clean it up. "But hey, I'm more than halfway through my day here and then maybe we can take a walk somewhere? Or something? I don't really care what, I just feel bad making you sit there like that"

I nodded slightly, my first real movement or reaction to her.

"Well, I guess I'll talk to you then..." Natalie mumbled, almost seeming sad as she set her purse down on the counter. She then went back to work. I sighed and let myself settle down.

What the hell was all that about? Natalie had plenty of friends but she sure seemed lonely just now when she talked to me inside of her purse. As I pondered this, I heard another voice fading up the hall, seemingly coming my way.

"Ugh, I told them, I don't want them leaving their stuff on this counter" I heard an older woman say, coming right over to the purse. I cowered in fear as she briefly peered into the open bag.

"Hey..." I heard her say, my body instantly freezing, "....this purse is actually pretty nice"

She then gently lifted the purse from the counter and set it down in a cabinet, before closing the door.

I sighed with relief as my world filled with darkness.