- Text Size +
"Are you sure?" Alicia asked leaning forward to get a closer look.

"Positive. It might mean nothing. It looks like it floated here" Mike said, eyes running up stream, "Come on lets go" He took the piece of boat under his arm and started running up stream.

Alicia glanced over to Liza then followed, dipping down to pick him up as she passed by, "Here this might be a better view" She said with a smile.

"Er, yeah" Mike said, blushing a little as he was so easily lifted.

They continued upwards, for miles. They didn't see anything else that might point to life yet as the sun reached midday.

"Tell me" Liza panted, "Why are we going so fast"

Alicia wiped her brow, the sun beating down on them freely with no canyon walls or anything else to block it, "Yeah I guess that was a little silly"

"Yeah" Mike agreed, "This could have floated down the river from anywhere"

Liza slipped into the river, "Ahhh" She gasped, "So good"

"Good idea" Mike laughed, grinning mischievously as he leaped from Alicias hand into the river.

"Mike!" She shrieked as he splashed into the river.

Mike poked his head out of the water, "What?" He swam over towards Liza who gave him a knowing smile, "Come on get in, it's nice"

Alicia dipped her feet in, "I'm fine, thanks" Patting Snow as she walked by to join the others in the water, splashing around happily. She watched Mike swim by Liza, pulling at her hair awkwardly as she watched him whisper something to her, causing her to giggle. When he turned back she turned, pretending she wasn't watching.

Mike floated down with the current. He dipped below the surface by her feet then reemerged, holding something in his hand. "Woah!" He called out.

"What?" Liza laughed, coming a little closer.

"Alicia look at this" Mike said holding his hands up. Alicias eyes brightened as she leaned closer.

"What is it?" She asked not seeing anything particularly exciting about the rock.

"No look closer" Mike insisted.

Alicia leaned even closer, "I don't see any- HEY!" She yelped as Liza suddenly wrapped her tail around her and pushed her into the water.

Mike suddenly saw a flaw in her plan as Alicia fell over him, "Uh" He mumbled before plunging under the water.

Alicia felt something squirming under her chest as she fell into the river. She sat up quickly, water flowing off of her in streams as she held Mike against her chest. She blushed deeply as she pulled him away, "Are you okay?"

Mike just laughed, "Yeah I'm fine"

"Well in that case" She dropped Mike back down in the river.

"Gah!" Mike shouted as he fell. They continued splashing around, each glad to have the mood lightened for the time being. Mike then noticed Snow had left the water, and was curiously sniffing around a large stone pillar. Intrigued he climbed out of the river and walked over, looking over his shoulder and smiling as Liza and Alicia were still caught up in a splash fight. "What is it, girl?" He asked as he jogged up to Snows side. She glanced at him for a moment then continued sniffing. Mike walked over towards her nose, placing a hand against her snout.

"Where did he go?" Alicia asked looking around.

"Maybe over there?" Liza offered pointing over towards Snow.

Mike knelt down, a circle of black charcoal sat under a small overhang in the giant stone pillar. There was no doubt in his mind what it was.

"What is it?" Alicia asked kneeling down behind him.

"Someone made a fire here" Mike said looking around for any other clues.

"Then maybe they already made their way back into the Jungle? Surely they would travel down river" Liza offered.

"Maybe" Mike said, "But maybe not" He started walking away from the pillar as Alicia and Liza took turns examining the site. Mike strained his eyes, widening as he saw a small cloud of smoke slowly drifting up from behind a hill. "Hey!" he shouted, "Over here!"

"Oh look smoke!" Alicia said getting up to follow.

Liza on the other hand felt that there was something off, she couldn't quite put her finger on it, "Hey um, I think we should be careful" She offered following slowly.

"Wh-" Mike started as he rounded the hill. He stood in a bit of shock looking down at the scene. Large circular huts were spread in the flat at the bottom of the slope before him. Large snake like creatures that almost looked like naga slithered around between the huts. They didn't look quite as big, in fact they couldn't be more then ten feet tall. Either way he quickly dropped to his stomach, eyes then falling on something even more shocking, and disturbing. A row of primitive cages stood in a line, holding people!

Mike slid back over the hump of the hill, motioning for them to stop.

"What is it?" Alicia whispered nervously.

"I'm not sure, they are sort of like, snake people"

"Like me?" Liza asked.

"No, more scaly"

This confirmed Lizas fears.

"But they had people in cages" Mike started, "We could probably take them they were much smaller than both of you"

Alicia hushed Snow, a low growl vibrating from the Wolfs throat.

"Its not the little ones I'm worried about" Liza commented.

Snows growl turned more fierce, "Shh, quiet Snow what has gotten-" Alicias eyes widened as she followed Snows gaze.

They all turned to see two large creatures staring back at them. They were built very similar to naga, but instead of human torsos the scales continued up their upper body. More dangerous looking claws hung from their arms, their faces almost looked human but were covered with scales and had a wide jaw line. Unlike the smaller ones, which had now massed in a line each wilding a long pike, they matched the height of Liza and Alicia.

"What do we have here" The one on the left spoke up, voice deep and masculine.

"It has been a while since we've seen such a meal" The other hissed, clearly a female.

Alicias skin turned pale, never before being faced with such a situation, "What should we do?" She squeaked to Liza.

"Be ready for a-" She was interrupted as the two beasts suddenly lunged forward. The female wrapped her coils around Liza but Liza was able to hold her off, creating a stalemate. The male tackled a terrified Alicia to the ground, easily overpowering her. Snow barked preparing to leap at the male but found herself suddenly wrapped by ropes that exploded out the smaller snakes pikes. She whimpered and growled as she was pinned to the ground.

"G-Get off me" Alicia pleaded as her body was entwined by the powerful coils.

"Mm, so soft, so slender" The male hissed, "She will go down nicely" He said licked at her face.

Alicia cried out in shock as she felt something warm and wet at the top of her head. Liza screaming in anger as she watched the males mouth widen unnaturally, but couldn't do anything to help her friend.

"No!" Alicia screamed in disgust and terror as she felt her head slipping into the maw, shaking as it slipped over her eyes. He just laughed as he started gulping, slowly bringing her inside.

Mike watched in shock, he stood rather unnoticed off to the side. His fists tightened as he saw the males throat start to expand as Alicia slipped into his widening maw. As she slipped further he uncoiled so he could straighten her out, her shoulders entering his maw as she tried to kick and thrash about. Mike gripped his knife, a suicidal plan coming to mind. He rushed forward, ignoring the danger as he grabbed hold of one of the giant coils. Glad that he remained unnoticed he climbed his way onto Alicias chest, feeling it rise and fall rapidly as she panicked. He waited, knees shaking as he saw the maw approaching.

Mike rushed forward, ducking under the massive lips, getting hit with a blast of warm and vial air. He braced himself. He saw the pulsating throat, already engulfing Alicias head, and made his way towards it climbing down off her neck onto the slimy flesh. He gagged as he scrambled up towards the throat, suddenly feeling himself getting clenched against her neck as he was swallowed.

Mike made his way forward in the blackness, feeling himself being pulled down the side of Alicias head, her cries sending chills down his spine. He felt her hair and grabbed hold, slowing his decent. "Alicia" He called.

"M-Mike why-"

"Don't ask, listen I've got a plan"

"Mike please, don't die because of me"

Mike let go of her hair, this was his chance to prove himself or fall into the depths trying. He felt himself get pulled deeper, knowing that he had to act quickly he flipped the switch on his knife, screaming has he dug it into the beasts flesh.

~~~

Lizas struggle suddenly halted as the female snake stopped and looked over to her mate. His laughs suddenly turned into a ghastly choking sound. His eyes widened as he suddenly fell over to his side. Liza didn't question it, instead taking her chance to gain the upper hand. She twisted her coils upwards, engulfing the females head and chest inside of her muscular coils. Fueled by rage she tightened her grip, grinning as she felt the snake writhe in pain, bones and flesh condensing within the monstrous coils. Within a few long minutes the flails stopped. Liza uncoiled, lashing out at the smaller ones freeing the panicked Snow he snapped viscously at the fleeing snakes.

Liza hurried to Alicia who was still kicking within the beasts maw. She grabbed her feet and pulled her out, "Oh my god are you okay?" She panted.

"I-I" She stammered wiping the thick saliva off her face, "Mike is inside!" She cried.

"He's what!?" Liza shrieked.

Mike coughed, suspended in blackness. He clamored his way forward, hoping he picked the right direction. He felt his hands press into a wall of flesh. He dug his arms inside and forced himself through the opening. He sighed, relived to see light at the end of a disgusting tunnel. He slipped his way down the side of the beasts inner cheek, trying not to touch the massive muscle to his right. He stepped over a row of sharp teeth and fell down onto the dry red surface. He looked up to Liza and Alicia, both staring at him wide eyed. He shot them a grin.

"Mike are you okay? What the hell did you just do?" Liza questioned.

Mike shook his arm to throw off some of the disgusting slime, "I lost my knife" He mumbled.

Alicia leaned forward and grabbed him, nestling him into her cheek, "Thank you thank you" She repeated.

"I'm confused" Liza said shaking her head, "How did stabbing his throat do that?"

"Oh it did more than stab" Mike said, "Gave him quite a shock"  

"Well I don't care. You saved us what ever you did" She said with a smile.

"The cages" Mike said, squirming free of Alicias grip. He ran down the slope towards the cages, "A little help!" he shouted trying to pry open the doors, the people inside massing at the doors.

Liza and Alicia came over helping to break apart the cages. Mike ran through the crowd, brushing off the many thanks and praises from the relieved people inside. Many of them were sickly thin. He pushed his way through, calling out his fathers name.

~~~

Mike stared in disbelief. A man sat against one of the cage walls weakly smiling at him. His face was worn and old, his hair greying, but there was no doubt it was him. "D-Dad!" He stammered quickly rushing to his side.

"Hi son" Roy said with a smile. His tired eyes flicked up towards his sons three companions, "And who are these fine ladies?"

Mike helped his father to his feet and assisted him out into the open, "This is Alicia, and Liza" Snow nosed him gently, seemingly aware of his exploits, "Oh and Snow" He said with a laugh. The crowd moved on, all except for Roy. Mike told his father all about his trips and adventures. Night fell and they found themselves around a small fire.

"It was good that you came when you did" His father said, though even his tired voice now showed little signs of fear.

"Why? Were you next to be eaten or something?" Mike questioned with a laugh.

"No" His father said with a sigh, "The long weeks in that cage were hard on me. I don't think I will last much longer"

"Well your out now" Mike said laying a hand on his fathers shoulder.

His father nodded, "Yes, you have given me the chance to pass on with my freedom"

"What do you mean?"

His father let out a long drawn out sigh, "Weeks without food does bad to the system, I am too far gone, Mike"

"No, don't be redic-"

"Michael, I am fine. I'm not cut out for this world anyway"

"But we can go back home"

His father shook his head, "It is my time, I can feel it in my chest, I am at peace" He held Mikes hand gently, "Your mother would be proud of you" Mike shook his head, tears forming in his eyes, "To think, the little boy who could never bring home a trophy for his life would be escorting around giant women and toppling monsters" Mike tried not to laugh as his father weakly chuckled.

~~~

Late in the night Roy passed, Mike sat quietly by his side. Liza and Alicia looked on, unsure of what to say. Eventually Mike rose to his feet, gently pulling his father into one of the huts. Fulfilling the wishes his father asked so many years ago, he never thought it would be like this.

They left the town, Mike sat on a hill watching as the hut burned. Alicia and Liza sat away, giving him some space.

"Maybe you should talk to him?" Liza offered quietly.

"Maybe you should" Alicia said softly.

"Wha- but why would I?" Liza asked.

Alicia looked at her, "Don't worry, I'm not mad"

"I don't understand"

"I saw you two the other night, I think he would be more comforted by you"

"A-Alicia it wasn't like that" Liza said shaking her head, "I only asked him to because I never could with Rick. Look I know you liked him, I shouldn't have asked that of him"

"It doesn't matter if I liked him, he has to choose for himself. Besides its not like it-"

"He has chosen" Liza assured her, "That night was only for me, he wants you. He needs someone now, and its not me"

Alicia turned back towards Mike, his shadow flickering against the orange light. She watched as he suddenly stood. Walking down towards the river. She looked back to Liza, who urged her to follow but she froze only able to watch from afar.

Mike stumbled down the hill, suddenly overcome by immense grief. He didn't know where he was going, he just felt like he had to go, get away as he always did. His vision blurred behind a wall of tears. His foot slipped into a small pocket in the rock. He didn't do much to stop the fall and soon tumbled down the slope. He felt his body slash into the rushing waters, he sat there wondering if he should even bother rolling over.

The decision was not his to make, as it turned out. He felt his body rise from the water. He turned over, eyes meeting Alicias. He forced a smile.

"Are you okay?" She asked, worried.

"I'll live" He sighed. As he was walking down that hill he was so sure that he was alone, so sure that he had no one left. He looked into Alicias eyes and knew that he was wrong.