- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Epilogue
GOODSON FAIRGROUNDS, GOODSON, CONN.
OCT. 31, 2009 (9:00 P.M./EST)

* * * * *

The explanation given for the corpses of Zan-tac, Zyr-tec, and Lip'tor was accepted relatively easily, just as predicted. Especially when one of their club-knives proved similar enough to the fatal wound, on the riding school foreman's body, that his murder was attributed to them, as well.

As for the destruction of the gatehouse? That was attributed to termite damage. Something that was also relatively easy to "confirm," once Willek had used his telepathic powers to draw some of the nasty little vermin into the ruins of the building!

Officer Jo Blackburn also proved correct in her predictions. Most of the teenage males who downloaded images of giant, naked Sandy did not believe the origin-claims made by the uploaders. Nor did Wesley's father dispute the legality of how she had taken custody of Little Wes. In fact, he approved of it, one hundred percent!

Headmaster Bigelow, however, knew the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Because, Sandy had told him everything. And, it made him explode with anger.

"I knew it! I knew you'd get into trouble, hanging out with that boy. And, your grandfather is even more to blame! Giving you unholy objects as birthday presents. Give it to me, young lady. I'm flushing that ring down the toilet, where it belongs!"

"NO!!!" she exclaimed at the top of her lungs, her left hand protectively covering her right.

"Alexandra Wolcott Bigelow? You give me that ring, this instant! I will not having you wearing it so long as you live under my roof."

Ten seconds later, Sandy's father found himself being pinned to the wall behind him. His daughter now eighteen inches taller than him. And, her right hand gripping his throat with vice-like pressure.

"Then, maybe it's time I _stopped_ living under your roof, Daddy. Especially, as I could crumble it just as easily as I crumbled the one covering the gatehouse!"

She and the "Smith family" spent the rest of that week at the same motel where George Wiesel had given Wesley the shrinking formula. Although, she and Michael were discrete enough to sleep in separate rooms.

When Halloween night rolled around, she attended the annual carnival in the same outfit as Michael and Martin. A buckskin shirt, with matching pants and boots. Topped off with a light-brown hooded cloak, slightly camouflaging a scabbarded sword.

"Heh!" she laughed: "I don't whether to call myself 'Princess Valiant' or 'Danielle Boone?' "

"That was going to be my ensemble," explained Vara (riding astride Lorraine's neck): "For when we returned to our world. But, with the alterations you made to it, it undeniably looks lovelier on you."

"I'll second that emotion," replied Michael, smilingly. Promptly causing Sandy to blush. Then, the former got serious.

"Are you sure about this, Sandy? I mean; good or bad, he's still your father."

She nodded: "Good or bad, I'll always love him. But, he's become just plain too over-protective of me! I mean; what if this ring had been the last birthday present I had gotten from Mom (rather than Grandpa Doug)? Would he still have tried to get rid of it, for my so-called 'own good?' I think the answer is to that is 'yes.' And, that's something I can't risk...or tolerate. Not if it means needlessly hiding my light under a bushel the rest of my life!"

"Well, just remember," replied Michael: "Where we're going, there are no department stores. No cable TV; and no Internet! So, hunting and trapping, for food and clothing, are not only politically correct on our world. They're vital survival traits!"

"I know. But, you were raised among all those conveniences, too. So, I won't be the only one readjusting. Besides; someone has to show your peoples that justice and revenge are no more identical than apples and oranges. And, it might as well be me!"

Michael's smile returned: "A job I think you're more than big enough to handle."

Whereupon, the two of them began to kiss. A kiss they broke off only after Martin threatened to douse their heads with cold apple cider! That was when Toray reappeared, and recited the Azuling chant alongside Willek. Moments later, the Aperture formed. And, the band of seven adventurers passed through it.

THE END?