- Text Size +
The silence hung between us for a few seconds. Then, I shook my head and sprang to my feet. Well! Not exactly "sprang." More like half-climbed/half-staggered.

"It doesn't matter how she regards you, Ted. This is still kidnapping. And, by her own words, more than two counts! I don't what happened to all the others. But, I am NOT gonna share the same fate, if I can help it! Once I..."

I felt around in my right coat pocket, looking for my cellphone. Yet, to no avail. So, I did the same thing with the left pocket. Still nothing! Then, I polked through each of my pants pockets.

"Shit!" I hissed, kicking at one of the birdcage bars in frustration: "I lost my frigging cellphone. I must have dropped it when she spritzed me with her mojo juice!"

"Who would you have called anyway, tovarisch? The local police? They would probably have thought you were adolescent crank."

So, I told him about Diego Garcia. Which momentarily cheered him up! Then, the realization hit him.

"If you dropped your cellphone at time she shrank you..."

I nodded: "...all she has to do is hit 're-dial,' and she'll know I'm not alone, here."

Although I didn't know it, until much later, Diego was already initiating the Phase 3 that I had mentioned in our earlier planning. Namely; he disguised himself as a janitor, using green cover-alls and equipment lent him from a real one he had bribed.

As I re-hashed it for Ted, the plan had called for Diego to wait for Courtney's next class to finish up, by half-pretending to mop the floor (or fix a broken light, or whatever) in the hallway just outside the classroom. Then, when all the students eventually started pouring out, he would block her path and pretend that _he_ was the one who'd been bribed to give her a message.

Unfortunately, for him, there was no way he could have anticipated getting the same response I'd gotten.

tbc