- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Shrinkage at last!
"Sh-she's not here, right now, young man. She's in class. Besides which; both her grandfathers have already passed on!"

"I'm not referring to either side of her adoptive family. I'm talking about her birth-mother's father! Please; could I just come in and wait for her, Miss?"

The house mother's face turned almost as white as her hair.

"NO!!! N-Now, you...you get out of here! Before I call campus security."

And, with that, she slammed the door in my face.

I walked away, completely puzzled. I had interviewed mobbed-up union whistle-blowers who had been less scared than this woman! Which meant that what I initially thought was a human interest story had suddenly become much bigger. And, I was determined to find out what.

* * * * *

I cellphoned Diego right away. As soon as he picked up, I told him how I had struck out at the sorority house.

"So, you're going to Phase 2?"

"Yeah, but not as initially planned. Could you hack into the video surveillance system used by the campus cops? See if anyone matching Ted's description showed up anywhere, on-camera? A more recent picture of him might help get me past KAT House's door on the next visit."

"You got it."

No sooner had I hung up, than I felt a tap on my left shoulder. I quickly spun about.

Lo and behold, it was Courtney Carlson!

Her orange-red hair was tied back in a ponytail. And, she was wearing a lavender-pink sweatsuit with white sneakers. But, it was her smile and hazel brown eyes that really grabbed my attention.

If I had been asked to describe that look in one word, at that moment? The only one that would've done it justice is...beguiling.

"Are you Ned Fogarty? The reporter? When I came back from algebra, to do some jogging, Ms. Ericson told me someone by that name had been looking for me."

"That's me, alright. I was wondering if..."

Before I could utter another syllable, she whipped some kind of perfume atomizer out of her right jersey pocket, and sprayed me right in the eyes with it!

I remember collapsing to the ground, in pain. And, then, nothing. When I revived, it took me a few minutes to get my bearings. Then, I saw where I was. A dome-shaped jail cell, roughly the height of a cathedral ceiling, with what I presumed to be the front half facing a high purple wall. Imagine my shock, then, when the "wall" moved counter-clockwise, one hundred-eighty degrees!

Revealing a giant-sized Courtney Carlson wearing a purple practice leotard and blue sneakers!!

tbc