- Text Size +
After claiming our luggage, we went over to the rental car desk. Ten minutes later, Diego had rented us an Acura Legend. We drove to a nearby 24/7 IHOP for some breakfast. After which, we headed for the campus town of Athens, Georgia.

When we got there, we registered at a local Motel Six. Then, after getting all our belongings suitably unpacked, we planned our next move.

"We obviously have to start with the Student Registrar's Office," I said: "Because, that's where we'll find out whether or not she's living on campus."

"I got a short cut," replied Diego, grinning like a hungry shark.

Moments later, he had a laptop computer out and turned on. His fingers were so much like a blur on that keyboard, he made me look like a hunt-and-pecker by comparison!

"What the frig...?" I began.

He explained that he occasionally did leg work for American Fidelity Insurance. And, that he had just used their database to access the college's database on the pretext of checking on Courtney Carlson's medical records!

"She's currently residing at the Kappa Alpha Tau sorority house."

"Excellent!" I exclaimed: "Then, tomorrow morning, that's where I'll go for Phase 1."

"Phase 1?" he echoed.

I nodded: "Asking the house mother for permission to talk to Courtney. If she politely-but-firmly refuses, then I move to Phase 2; flashing Ted's photo to the campus cops. If they turn out not to have seen him, we move to Phase 3."

"That being?" prompted Diego.

This time, it was my turn to grin like a hungry shark.

"How do you feel about posing as a janitor?"

* * * * *

By ten o'clock the next morning, I was at the front door of KAT House, gently manipulating a Victorian-looking door knocker. The house mother who opened it resembled a cross between June Cleaver and Carol Brady!

"Yes?"

"Good morning, ma'am. My name is Ned Fogarty of the L.A. PICAYUNE. And, I'd like to talk to Courtney Carlson about her biological grandfather."

The expression that suddenly appeared on this woman's face might not have been visible to most people. But, I had seen that particular look before.

It was the look of an amateur who was about to lie to me.

tbc