- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Epilogue
* * * * *

I looked at Diego as he made this announcement.

"You mean, she works for the CIA, too?"

"Not specifically," she replied: "Officially, I'm on detached duty, overseas. FBI liason to the Japanese National Police Agency out of the American embassy in Tokyo. But, in reality, I now work for M.A.C.H.O. The Multi-Agency Counter-Homunculist Organization."

"Never heard of them."

"You weren't meant to," said Diego: "The outfit's been top-secret since it was basically co-founded by my dad."

"Your dad?"

Diego grinned like a Cheshire cat with rabies: "I have no Tio Pepe. My mom was an only child! Pepe Garcia is my dad. An ex-WWII fighter-pilot who went to work for La Compania during the Berlin Airlift."

"So, you even lied about having been a crime scene photographer with the LAPD?" I asked him.

"Oh, that part's true! M.A.C.H.O. has undercover contacts with every American police force that has a Bureau of Missing Persons. I'm the contact for their L.A. office. And, I alert them whenever someone mysteriously disappears, yet for none of the usual reasons."

"Then, you were also telling the truth about Ted's disappearance being the motivation for your bosses' involvement with me?"

Diego nodded: "In fact; that's also why I made that so-called 'slip of the tongue' about the Cuban Missile Crisis. I wanted to see how long it would take you to catch that. Because, once Naomi (who was assigned to this case as my back-up) brings us home, I have a feeling you're going to be offered a new job!"

As if on cue, Naomi's prisoner began stirring within the sleeping bag. Prompting Naomi to knock her back out...with a karate chop.

* * * * *

And, that's how I wound up going back to school! More specifically; "Kleinmann University." A scale-model replica of Yale University that teaches shrunken guys, like me and Ted, how to readjust.

The two of us have a dorm room adjoining Diego's. His roommate is an ex-astronaut named Miles Stone, who was "recruited" down in Florida. And, I'm told that those of us who decide to repay the favor, by working as field agents for M.A.C.H.O., are usually given normal-sized female partners as bodyguards!

I'll be perfectly honest. I definitely wouldn't mind Naomi guarding _my_ little body! But, it may be some time before any of us see her, again. Because, according to Myron Meriwether (the head honcho of M.A.C.H.O.), Courtney's been taken to an "undisclosed location" for questioning. They want to find out what she did with all the other missing shrinkies she's responsible for. And, Naomi will be in charge of the questioning.

The first phase of which will be giving Courtney a quite literal taste of her own medicine. In exactly the same fashion that I was given it. At full strength!

THE END?