- Text Size +
Spell It Out

Chapter 6: Uncovering more of the puzzle

I became more and more anxious as I heard Amanda's car slow. We had reached our destination and we were about to meet up with her cousin Sterling. As Amanda gets out of the car, I hear every bump as she manuevers herself onto the sidewalk leading up to the house. I hear everything around me, and finally, after a few moments, I hear a door open and the two girls begin talking. Amanda sets the purse on the floor of her cousin's living room while they talk, seperated by a couch.

"So, Amanda... why haven't I met this boyfriend of yours?" Sterling asked, jokingly. "You guys have been together a while"

"Yeah, true." Amanda replied, "Well you can see him, he's right here"

I grew uneasy as I thought about Amanda pulling me out, but of course I had no choice in the matter. I feel myself get pinched lightly around the waist and within seconds, I'm lifted miles off the ground, sitting helplessly in my girlfriend's palm as she shows me to her cousin. I sheepishly wave hello.

"Wow, he's so little..." Sterling said,and then began to show Amanda towards another room of the house. I sighed with dejection as Amanda carried me into the next room, following her cousin. "I'm wondering how small she made him..."

"Hhmm, I'd guess about 6 inches" Amanda said, sounding very business-like as she spoke. She hadn't measured me, and in fact nobody had, but it really made no difference to me. I was way too small is all I knew. Amanda craned her head down towards me, feeling inclined to include me in the conversation. She looked my body in the eye and asked, "what do you think, Bobby?"

"I...I don't know, what difference does it make?" I sputtered. Amanda sighed and set me down on a cold black table. On the table were several machines and a sink, almost like a chemistry lab.

Sterling walked up to the table and knelt down, her face and eyes carefully observing my every movement.

"You're probably not going to like this, Bobby" Sterling said, her face forming a giant frown, "but I need to measure you to figure out your exact height"

"What? Why?" I gasped, feeling defensive.

"Whatever Cassandra did to you is formulaic... so i need your original height, and then I need the height you are now" Sterling said, looking sincerely sorry as she looked at me. "I have a scale over there as well... we can measure you right on there...whenever you're ready of course"

I turned flush red, as Amanda and Sterling looked down at my tiny form on her lab table. I was unable to make eye contact with either of the giant girls as they stared at me.

"Bobby, please, just let her help us" Amanda said, maintaining her warm tone. She quickly grabbed me in her hands. I looked up at my giant girlfriend feeling scared, but I somberly nodded my head. Amanda slowly placed me on the cold steel postage scale. I looked out at Sterling (who appeared to be miles away), writing notes studiously in a book as she took down the weight measurement.

"Hold still, Bobby" Sterling said, sounding doctor-like as she slid a large metal height marker near my head. I felt a rush of embarassment as she had to adjust the slider once or twice, accidentally raising it too high a few times. She let the black metal marker stay at the tip of my head, the dash lines in front of me barely touching 5 inches.

"Okay..." Sterling said, looking towards Amanda, "what was his original height?"

"Hmm, about 5 foot 9, right Bobby?" Amanda asked. I nodded without speaking.

"Okay... he's about 4 and 6/8" now" Sterling said, looking down at her notepad and continuing to scribble furiously.

Her words fell hard on my ears and I just remained where I stood. There was no point in climbing down from the scale at that moment. Amanda looked at me and could see how sad I was.

"Don't worry, Bobby..." Amanda said, reaching her hand down for me, "Sterling's going to help you have a growth spurt"

Sterling quickly tapped Amanda on the shoulder, giving her a cautionary look.

"Uh..Um... I never said that, Amanda..." Sterling chuckled nervously. "I mean, I'll try, but I first need to figure out how Cassandra did this, ... and..."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing! We had driven all this way and I had been humiliated on several seperate occasions only to be told we MIGHT have a solution?

"It seems Cassandra used a combination of chemistry and dark magic to alter your boyfriend's body..." Sterling said, "this is strictly theoretical stuff... this kind of magic has been very rarely used and not much is known about it... trying to manipulate it can be tricky..."

"But you can do it, right?" Amanda asked, sounding kind of panicked now. "You were a great sorceress at your school"

"I mean... I mean, yeah... I studied the books and I could pull off a few tricks, but..." Sterling stuttered, "some people just have the right talent for it... I've always tried to be the kind of magician Cassandra was, but I mean... I'll do my best... the problem is, with dark magic, it's very unpredictable. I could help him grow back or..."

"Or...?" Amanda asked.

"...I could accidentally make him even smaller..." Sterling admitted.

"What?!" I snapped, almost at the same time as Amanda.

"I... I don't know that for sure,but it is a possibility..." Sterling cried, "We'd have to test the spell on something, or someone else before we tried it on Bobby... but I'm going to use all the information I have to learn a spell that can change sizes..."

Amanda and I remained in stunned silence for several moments before responding.

"Alright, well what do we need to do to help you?" Amanda asked.

"First, I'm going to need a large crate... a magician's crate" Sterling said, "Cassandra used some kind of spacial compression spell, I'm guessing"

"Meaning?" I asked.

"Bobby, did she have you step into something? Like a large 6 or 8 foot crate?" Sterling asked.

"Yes!" I replied.

"Okay, that's what I thought... that's how she does it" Sterling said, "based on your approximate height and the volume of space you were in, she was able to exponentially reduce the matter within the box you were standing in..."

"In English, please!" I cried, feeling more and more anxious by the moment.

"She shrunk the space around you, therefore, shrinking you" Sterling explained. "We need a similar type of vessel... something with no space in it, something enclosed, it can be a box, or crate... itjust can't have any holes in it or anything"

"And you think if you get me into another box like that, you can somehow make me big again?" I asked.

"Maybe..." Cassandra replied nervously, "I just don't know... if I need a small box to put you in...or a regular size 8 foot box..., if we choose wrong the results could be disastrous..."

"So what do we do?" Amanda asked.

"Regardless, we're going to need some things..." Sterling said, jotting some things down on a notebook, she then turned towards Amanda as she spoke, "a lot of things... I'm going to give you this list. We may also want to use a test subject... it can even be a cat or something"

"I don't want to hurt a cat!" Amanda replied.

"It won't be hurt... well, maybe shrunk" Sterling said, "but we need to be sure this will work..."

Amanda nodded solemnly. We knew what to be done, but could it be possible?