- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WASHINGTON, D.C., EARTH-DXM
AUG. 12, 2009 (10:05 PM/EDT)
* * * * *

Starr Smith had gone up to the roof of the Watergate Apartment Complex to do some stargazing. Between her own efforts, and those of the U.S. Naval Observatory (it sure helped to have a twin sister in the Justice Department!), she usually had enough astronomical data to formulate some pretty accurate horoscopes for THE NATIONAL INTELLIGENCER.

Tonight, however, her work was briefly interrupted by a strange feeling that washed over her. In her teen years, she would have alluded to it as "a great disturbance in the Force." And, in a tone of voice that her sister would have described as "an effeminant Sir Alec Guinness!"

Shaking it off, Starr continued swinging her telescope around. Gradually turning it in the direction of the National Mall. And, that is when she saw it.

Her sister...MarySue...as a mega-giantess...advancing on the Washington Monument!

"Omigawd!" exclaimed Starr. She looked again, to see if she was hallucinating. She was not. Her prim-and-proper twin was looking at America's most venerated obelisk with a most lascivioous grin!

Meanwhile, out in Riverside, California, Cheryl Baker (screen-name "Alexandra LeGrand") looked at the two young men on her laptop monitor. The one to her left was Mark DoLittle (screen-name "I. DeMon"), webcasting live from his San Diego bedroom. The one to the right was William Blefescu (screen-name "Vlad the Bad"), webcasting all the way from the East Coast.

She donned her wireless headset, and activated her own webcam.

"Can you see me, now?"

They each gave her a smiling thumb's-up.

"Thanks, again, Vee, for using your dad's connections to get us advance copies of the game. It's gonna be The Bomb!* I just know it."

"From your mouth to Macy's Ear," replied the dark-haired youngster: "Now, what's say we play some...SIZECRAFT!!!!!"

The other two literally roared with approval.

As usual, Mark chose to be a demon and Will chose to be a sizevamp. Although, this time, they would have CGI avatars, rather than static illustrations on square pieces of cardboard.

Likewise, instead of the quasi-medieval continent of Ceir-Nathan, the setting would be a more historically recent parallel-Earth. Specifically; the Japanese-occupied Aleutian Islands of World War II. Guarded by samurai GTS-goddess Tanaka Mai, herself!

"I wish to be...Princess Thunder Child. GTS-goddess of the Tlingit tribe!"

Mark's avatar---imagine Count Chocula with horns---smiled. And, its eyes momentarily flashed a fiery red, as he replied:

"Your wish is my command."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* Mostly for the over-39 crowd: "...The Bomb." Equals "explosively popular."