- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I.D.E.E.A. HQ,
CROSSOVER PLAIN
* * * * *

"What you're about to see," intoned the former Chief Surveillant of Earth-03312008: "...was transferred to holodisc from a tri-acetate copy of a 1910 film reel. The original was filmed by Thomas Edison and Frank Sprague from the gondola of a hot-air balloon, tethered by winch-controlled cable to the flagship of the Great White Fleet."

The ensuing three-dimensional images showed what appeared to be female versions of a Cossack soldier and a samurai warrior standing side-by-side in an ankle-deep puddle. The female samurai held her katana upwards in her left hand, while the female Cossack held a saber upwards in her right. Each of their free hands held what appeared to be a large rock. And, the wrists of those hands were connected by what resembled chicken wire made of stainless steel.

The ex-Chief Surveillant pressed the "fast-forward" button, so that a thunderstorm that had been dimly visible in the background, seconds earlier, seemed to instantly materialize over the two women. Following which, bolts of lightning repeatedly struck their swords!

"You'll notice that the chunks of lodestone they're holding are starting to glow. Now, watch what happens next."

A large circle of white light materialized behind both women. Subsequently engulfing them, just before the entire hologram became crackling static.

"That crude crosstime warp resulted in a tidal wave that not only sank the flagship. It also completely submerged the entire peninsula of Florida...and turned San Antonio, Texas, into a seaport! While Edison and Sprague's balloon was torn free, by the accompanying winds, and blown northward. All the way to Newport News, Virginia!"

"So, that's the how the so-called Normal World came to hate GTS-goddesses, in general," remarked Agent 679.

"And, those two in particular," replied the ex-Chief Surveillant: "That's why there was never a Cold War on that world. The U.S. and Russia became permanently bonded by their mutual hatred for giantesses. Well, that; plus Stalin and Lenin being among the fatalities when Valentina and Mai's duel inadvertently trampled St. Petersburg! But, now, take a look at this."

The two agents watched as the sequence of events reversed, before being replayed in slow-motion close-up.

"Look, there. Bottom left corner, near Valentina's right boot."

Agent 678 crouched down to get a better view.

"Saltwater crocodiles? In the southern North Atlantic?!"

The ex-Chief Surveillant smiled and shook his head.

"Nope! They're Eryopsii. A so-called 'mergoyle' tribe from Bayou Ile De Miel, Louisiana. Their shaman-king, Chief Three Eyes, had a vision of this experiment, and sent a scouting party to see what was going on. The tribe was almost wiped out by the seismic chaos that followed. So, Three Eyes took the handful of survivors and emigrated to West Africa. Vowing to someday return and exact revenge on the whole human race. Not knowing the Sizeloans would beat him to it!"

"Heh!" snorted the younger of the two agents: "I'll bet it wasn't much comfort to them. Seeing as how their new home got micro-sected along with the rest of that world!"

"Well, at least we have the proof you wanted," replied his partner: "Possible motive for an alliance of convenience with renegade sizechangers. But, we still have to determine what their ultimate goal is."

* * * * *

MEANWHILE, ON EARTH-MRG...

On a clear-yet-blustery day in New South Wales, Asutralia, a brown-haired man in a flat gray cap and black leather jacket stood outside the Sydney Opera House. Ostensibly, admiring its architecture.

"Beautifully designed, isn't it?" said a female voice from behind him: "No matter how often I see it, it never fails to take my breath away."

"You'll get no arguement from me," said Ray. Then, he turned to smile at Deborah Miller-Law.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Special note: Thomas Edison had a summer retreat in Fort Meyers, Florida, dating back to the mid-1880's. And, Francis J. Sprague--one of his many collaborators--started out as an electrical engineering officer in the U.S. Navy.