- Text Size +

The fence loomed up in front of them, an impassable barrier. Or so Jake Darren thought when he first saw it. He’d come out here on his bike after some of his classmates had dared him to climb over the fence in the woods. Now, however, he wasn’t so sure.

 

It was about thirty feet tall and practically unclimbable. There were signs on it warning that hazardous materials lay beyond it, that trespassers will be prosecuted, and that the fence carried ten thousand volts of electricity. He couldn’t see a way across, and was starting to think this was a waste of his time.

 

“So, Jake, are you going to try or what?” asked Billy Dixon. Billy wasn’t the kind of guy Jake wanted to be friends with, but there really weren’t many other options. Being the new kid at school is definitely not fun, and Jake was glad that there were only two years of high school left. He’d come out here with Billy and his friends to try and win their respect. Now, it seems, they’ve come to watch him make a fool of himself.

 

“Forget it, Billy! There’s no way I’m getting over this fence, it’s too dangerous! If you don’t want me hanging out with you guys, that’s fine, but I’m not stupid enough to risk my life.”

 

Billy and the others (Arthur, Frank and Linda) got off their bikes and came towards him. He felt like leaving quickly, but bravely remained where he was.

 

“Wait a minute,” said Frank. “Are you telling me you dragged us all the way out here to watch you do absolutely nothing? Huh? Is that it?”

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” said Linda. “What’s the matter, Jake? You’re not scared of a shitty old fence, are you?”

 

“So what if I am? You’re just as scared of it, too! Besides, it’s probably illegal to climb over, anyway, and…hey, what the hell are you doing?”

 

He stared at Arthur, who had just stuck a large, unpleasant thorn into his bicycle’s wheels. Jake lunged forward to stop him, but Billy grabbed him from behind and pulled him back.

 

“Not so fast, dickhead! This party ain’t over yet! Grab him, Frank!”

 

Frank, who was a good deal larger than Jake, caught him in a tackle as he tried to run away. Jake fell face down in the dust. He struggled furiously, but the three boys were too much for him to handle, and he was quickly overpowered. All the while Linda, who was Billy’s girlfriend, was laughing unpleasantly. It was pretty obvious to him now that he’d picked the wrong crowd to hang out with. Frank and Arthur each grabbed one of his arms and made sure he couldn’t escape. Billy took out a pocket knife and held the blade inches from Jake’s face.

 

“Now listen here, you piece of shit,” he said nastily. “Either you climb that fence, or else I’m messing you’re face up a little with this. What’s it gonna be?”

 

“Fuck you! I’m telling the cops! You’re never getting away with this!”

 

“Yes we are!” Billy shouted. “Who do you think you are, huh? Think you can just come along and join our group, and we’ll all be best friends, is that it?”

 

“What do you want from me?” Jake shouted, starting to get really afraid. This Billy guy had some serious issues, that’s for sure. He couldn’t understand what his problem was, or why he was acting so viciously. Linda just kept laughing and laughing, while the other remained still. They were obviously just pawns of their leader, and would do whatever he told them, just so that they could call themselves his friends.

 

“I’ve already told you what I want, dumbass! Now, are you going to do it, or do we make you do it?”

 

Jake didn’t have time to answer before he was being shoved towards the fence. He tried to escape, again without success. Then, at a word from their leader, Frank and Arthur threw him forward, and he fell against the fence.

 

The pain was instantaneous: a massive surge of electricity blasted his body backwards seven feet, and he fell down unconscious. The other four stood silent for a moment, awestruck, before Billy came back to his senses.

 

“What the fuck are you standing around for?” he yelled. “Throw him in the bushes or something!”

 

“Uh, where?” Arthur asked, still dazed by what he saw.

 

“Anywhere! Do I look like I give a shit?”

 

“Oh my God, Billy, did you see that?” Linda asked breathlessly. “That was just…wow, I mean, that was just…”

 

“Shut up!” Billy yapped at her. “You don’t tell anyone about this, you hear me? Now come on, let’s get back.”

 

“Is he going to be okay? It looked pretty bad when he…”

 

“I said shut up! Hey, are you two going two take much longer, or do I have to come and help you?”

 

“We’re finished, Billy.” Frank replied. “You’d better have a good excuse, though, or else we’re going to be in big trouble.”

 

“Thanks for reminding me, Frank! Now come on, let’s get outta here!”

 

As they got on their bikes Linda took one last look at the forest behind the fence. It looked dark and impenetrable, and she wondered what was going on in there that people weren’t allowed in. Suddenly she saw something. A tree seemed to move, as if something was pushing against it, and behind it…

 

“You coming, baby?” Billy called. “You’re not still worried about that loser, are you?”

 

“No, Billy. I’m just…I’m just a little scared, that’s all.”

 

“Scared of what? You think anyone’s going to believe his story over ours? He probably won’t even remember what happened when he wakes up.”

 

Billy gave a little snigger, then turned his bike down the road and was off. Linda took one last look at the place where she thought she saw something. Something big. There was nothing there now, and she knew it was probably just her imagination playing tricks on her.

 

Susan had watched the scene play out before her in horror. She’d first been drawn towards the sound of raised voices, and decided to go and take a look. She crept through the forest as quietly as possible, leaving behind her picnic basket and towel. As she got closer to the fence she took every possible precaution to remain hidden. Crouching on all fours, she managed to hide behind a thick clump of trees, while still being able to see what was happening.

 

She saw a group of kids, about her own age, or perhaps a little older. Susan had never seen people this young before. One of them, a short blond boy, was being held tightly by two of the others. A girl was there too, as well as a dark-haired boy, who seemed to be the oldest. She tried to get a closer look when, suddenly, it happened.

 

The two hefty guys threw the blond boy forward, and he hit the fence with his full body. There was a brief shriek of pain and he flew backwards. Susan gasped and stepped back in shock, accidentally knocking over a forty-foot pine tree. If the other kids hadn’t been absorbed by what was happening right in front of them, she might have been discovered. Luckily she had a chance to compose herself, while they were throwing the boy’s unmoving body behind some bushes.

 

She remained completely still, and, after a few minutes, the strangers left. By now she longed for a closer look. After waiting another five minutes, she made sure the coast was clear and approached the fence. She had to knock down a few more trees to get through the dense forest. All the while she tried to remain calm, telling herself that the boy was going to be alright.

 

“I have to help him!” she thought to herself. “His life could be in danger. I know Daddy forbade me from revealing myself to strangers, but this is different. Oh well, I’m sure he’ll understand; at least, I hope he’ll understand.”

 

She knelt down before the fence. Even when kneeling, it came no higher than her hips. Carefully leaning over it, she began searching for the guy she wanted to help. Eventually her fingers touched something soft in the undergrowth.

 

“Got you! Now, if I can just…pick you up…”

 

A lifetime of near crushes and broken bones had taught Susan never to underestimate her massive strength. It had been three years since she last accidentally gripped a person too tightly in her hand. By now she’d managed to refine her technique, and she was confident that she wouldn’t hurt her new acquaintance. Nevertheless, she picked him up extra carefully, just in case he was already badly injured.

 

She placed Jake’s tiny body in the palm of her hand. He looked so vulnerable, lying there, barely longer than her hand was wide. She tucked her finger under his shirt, feeling for a heartbeat. If it was there, she couldn’t detect it.

 

“Hang on, little guy, hang on! I’m not letting you die! Come on!”

 She turned back home, carrying the injured Jake in her cupped hands. She had no idea what she could do to help revive him, but anything was better than leaving him there in the dirt. For the first time in her life, Susan actually had a purpose, a task to do, and she was determined to succeed.