- Text Size +

Chapter nine

 

“Welcome to CNN Mourning News for May 29, 1999. Goddesses continue to make the news. At last reports there are now four of them.  Death being the latest to arrive. Her first actions were to wipe out large parts of Nova Scotia and most of the island of Newfoundland. Death was last seen heading for Europe.”

 

“Famine is currently east of Lindsay Ontario. Attempts by farmers to stop her have failed. Doomsayers are predicting food shortages for the North American continent.

There are reports that Conquest plans to build a fence around Alberta. A formable task. People are asking does she intend to keep Albertans in, or keep outsiders out? 

Slaughter to everyone surprise spared the cities of Norfolk, Portsmouth and Chespeake which was evacuated in panic after Richmond Fell. The question everyone is asking is where will Slaughter strike next?”

 

“Where should I go next?”

Slaughter asked herself, as she looked over her ‘Goddess Road Atlas for North America’ and various population stats. She wanted to wipe out as many people as possible in the least amount of time. After thinking it over, she decided to hit the cities of Florida and Texas with a stop in New Orleans.

 

She then got up from the remains of downtown Savannah Georgia then headed south making as much damage as possible.

 

It was dawn when Death approached her goal the British Isles. The Irish coast loomed before. After centuries of conflict between Protestants and Catholics Death had come up with a final solution, total extermination of both sides. With great eagerness she began her task.

 

Western Ireland was the first to go. Death arrival took people by surprise. They had no time to flee, before death took their lives. The Irish country side was littered with corpses, some on the ground other in cars and buildings. In other word’s people died where they meet death.  The Irish President pleaded with death to spare her country, but her pleas were ignored. A few people seeing what was having to their countrymen tried to flee. But it is very hard to outrun a mile high goddess. In the end they bit the dust. Death then headed north to Northern Ireland. She treated them the same way as their southern cousins. She left no survivors.

 

After the destruction of Ireland, Death headed for England. The British Navy and Air force tried to stop her. But they where no match for her.  Death came ashore at the city of Blackpool. She then proceed to wipe it and everything else she came across off the map.

“Why are you here?” the British people cried.

“The British Empire is dead. It’s people should die.” Death responded.

 

Tom and Tina got into a fight at breakfast.

“Be reasonable Tom. It’s too far to go.”

“You believe in God Tina?”

“You know I do. But what’s got to do with anything?”

“I believe God wants to go. And I believe God would protect us.”

“I disagree. Besides your forgetting I own the car. I decide where we go.”

“Fine. I’ll walk there. With luck I’ll be able to buy a bike. “

“Are you nuts?  Do you realise how long it would take there? Even by car, it would take days.”

“True. And there no telling in what shape the roads are. Not to mention the availability of gas. I’m determined to go. With or without you.”

“You wouldn’t dare leave me. “

Deep down she was afraid that he would leave her. Tina was fond of Tom, and didn’t want to lose him.

“I don’t want to leave you Tina. But I feel I must go to Alberta. “

Tom then gathered up his belongings.  Kissed Tina goodbye and started walking down the road. Tina couldn’t believe her eyes. Tom was actually leaving her.

 

Tom was almost out of sight, when Tina’s resolve broke down. She got into her car and went after him. Tom was pleasantly surprised when Tina drove up to him and said,

“Do you need a lift?”

 

Conquest stood on the spot where Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories border meet.  She felt this place was as good as any to start building. She began to build the 4000-foot fence. She moved south along the Alberta/ Saskatchewan border. Conquest fences went through lakes, roads, farms and sometimes towns. It was not a solid fence. There were gaps in the bottom of the fence, big enough for people to go through, but small enough to keep goddesses out.

 

A few people objected when Conquest destroyed buildings to make way for her fence.  And people got mad when she blocked off Route 16, the trans-Canada that went through Edmonton. But Conquest ignored the protesters. A few even got crushed underfoot when they didn’t get out of her way.

 

The Queen of England, watched Death approach. Her plan was desperate, but these are desperate times.

“We wish to make a deal.”

“What’s making you think I’ll deal with a mere queen?”

“I’m no mere queen. But that’s beside the point. We are willing to do whatever you ask, if you spare what’s left of my subjects.”

Death laughed so hard, her bones shook.

“I am Death. Other than dying theirs is little you can do for me. You should have expected me years ago.”

“Why’s that?”

“The monarchy living on borrowed time. A thousand years of existence is long enough, don’t you agree?”

“The royal family will always exist.”

“That’s what you think.”

Death then swept her hand above the queen. Within seconds a pile of dust was all that was left of the Queen of England.

 

It was not a good time to be in Florida. Jacksonville was the first to get hit. Since most people didn’t think, Slaughter would go so far south. Most of Jacksonville 635,230 residents were still at home when Slaughter arrived. People tried to flee, but it was too late. Only a couple of thousand got out before the roads got hopelessly jammed.  Slaughter then destroyed the highways leading out of town, before destroying the city. A few desperate people tried jumping into the St. John’s River hoping Slaughter won’t notice them. Unfortunately for them, Jacksonville was built on both sides of the river. To get to the other side, she stepped in the river crushing everything below her. When it was over, only a few hundred people were left in town, too few to go after. Instead she headed for some of Florida’s other cities.

 

After spending all day on farms Famine was getting a bit bored of farm produce. She decided to head for a city to get some fast food.  Windsor, Ontario was her target. When she arrived at the edge of the city she made a huge plate appear out of thin air. Then she said in a booming voice.

“Attention Fast food joints. I am Famine and I want you to feed me. Deliver your burgers, pizza and fried chicken to the plate in front of me.”

People looked at her in disbelief. They felt she had her nerve going to a city asking for food, after she had destroyed so many farms. She saw that people were hesitating she then said,

“If you do not feed me. I will eat the people of this fair city. It’s your choice. Feed me or become my lunch.”

This shook people out of their hesitation. Within moments people started dropping food off on her plate.

 

While all this was going on. Angels watched with increasing concern.

Angel one: “Ever more people are abandoning God.”

Angel two: “Did they ever worship him in the first place?”

Angel one: “But there going to the devil. Those demons are driving people from salvation.”

Angel three: “Lately we have been getting prayers, begging that God spare the world. Call off the goddess.”

Angel one: “So what?”

Angel three: “I’m going to recommend to God. That he calls off the goddess, before he loses all of Humanity souls to hell.”

Angel two: “Good luck. I not sure God would care if all Humanity went extinct. They’re not his only children you know.”

 

Interlude

The Devil looked over his assembled demons.

“Excellent work boys. Our projection’s indicate that 98% of North Americans are going to hell. If current trends continue, the rest of the world will fallow North America lead, once they are visited by the goddesses.”

The demons erupted into cheers. The devil then raised his hands.

“Now get back to work, while I’ll gloat to God.”

 

Meanwhile, in heaven. The angel was doing his best to convince God to call off his goddesses. He wasn’t having much luck. Then the call came in from the Devil.

Devil: “Hey God, Humanity going to hell. Your plan has backfired.  Your goddesses are driving people to me and there nothing you can do about it.”

God: “That’s what you think.”

 

Conclusion

Tom and Tina drove toward Confederation Bridge in silence. They were hoping the bridge was still intact. Otherwise, they would have to take a boat to get off the island. Suddenly a 50-foot woman appeared in front of them.

“What the?” Tina cried as she slammed on the brakes.

The woman who was a nice looking brunette, went up to the car and said.

“Do not be alarmed. I am an angel of the Lord. I am here to tell you, there is no need to go to Alberta. “

“You mean that dream was a test of my fate?” Tom asked.

“No. God’s plan for Humanity has changed. “ The angel replied.

“Changed in what way?” Tina asked.

“God has recalled the goddess of the Apocalypse.”

 

Conquest having finished the fence along the Saskatchewan/ Alberta border moved to the Alberta/ America border. The people of Montana had mixed feelings about Conquest. They wanted to be separate from the Canadians but didn’t like conquest going through their backyard. When Conquest reached the point where interstate 15 meet the border her laptop beeped.  Puzzled she opened it up and read the following message

 

MISSION ABORTED. RETURN TO HOME BASE

Conquest face turned red with anger. She turned to heaven and shouted,

“This is outrageous. We have barely begun. I’ll return to base but some of the others may put up a fight.”

Conquest then disappeared into thin air, leaving her fence behind.

 

Father Blair watched Slaughter approach the city of Orlando and his church. He started praying for a miracle.

 

Orlando despite the terror of the past few days was full of tourists. Attractions like Universal studios and, Walt Disney World was too hard to resist. Besides Slaughter was curious to see what the fuss was all about.

 

Suddenly Slaughter laptop beeped. Puzzled she opened it up and read the following message

 

STOP THE SLAUGHTER. RETURN TO HOME BASE

“No. It’s too soon. I’ve only killed,” She paused to look up the figure.

“I’ve only killed 7,551,803 people. There are billions of people on this planet. I refuse to leave.”

Slaughter then stood their defiantly daring God to do his worst. Suddenly a huge hand came out of the heavens. Slaughter tried to run but she was the size of a doll compared to the hand. She got scooped up and carried way.

Father Blair watching the scene commented.

“I’ve heard of the hand of God. But I never thought I see it.”

 

Famine was still hungry. The people of Windsor Ontario were failing to feed her. She decided to go across the river to Detroit Michigan. Detroit was a larger city than Windsor perhaps they could feed her. She crossed the river, but before she could ask the people to feed her, a voice from heaven said,

“FAMINE IT’S TIME TO GO HOME.”

“Already? Well maybe it’s for the best. It’s near impossible to get a bite to eat around here.”

Famine then disappeared much to everyone relief.

 

Death moved through the Walsh countryside. She was finishing off the last people in Wales. She considered going to Scotland. But figured there were better targets out there. Then her laptop started beeping. She opened it up and read,

 

I DECIDED TO SPARE THE WORLD.  PLEASE COME HOME.

PS YOUR DEATH TOTAL FAR SURPASSES SLAUGHTER’s

“But God. I have barely begun. I was planning to visit Yugoslavia, the Middle East, Pakistan and India.” Death whined

“COME HOME NOW OR BE DRAGGED HOME.” God replied.

“But most of the Humanity race is intact. I beg you let me kill a billion people or two. The world will be better off.”

God was unmoved by Death pleas. She vanished very unwillingly from the world.

 

When people realised the goddesses were gone, they began to cheer. Father Orson and other priests gave thanks to God.  The more thoughtful people wondered about next time. After all over 60 million people died in less than a week. How many would survive the next goddess encounter?

 

The end for now