- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
MORE SPOILER WARNINGS: This chapter makes reference to Leviathan’s later origin from the comic book Legionnaires#52.
For years, the Doom Patrol had fought the Brotherhood of Evil, but finally the Brotherhood went too far. Seeking to significantly weaken their enemies, they murdered the team leader of the Doom Patrol, Mento, who had married Rita Farr (aka Elastigirl).

Elastigirl arrived on the scene just in time to see the murder happen, but was too late to prevent it. Something snapped. She decided that all criminals should be punished in a permanent way, instead of taking up space in prisons, with half of them escaping time and time again.

Expanding to giant size, Elastigirl stormed on Central City Prison and punched a hole in the wall of the Trickster’s cell. James Jesse (the Trickster), deprived of all his gimics, had no chance. Elastigirl raised him to her mouth in continuation of the same deft movement which pulled him from his cell. She took no time at all in eating him.

“Come on out, little criminals. Who’s next?” she asked, and extracted Sam Scudder (the Mirror Master) from his cell. The Flash hadn’t been seen for ages, although Rita didn’t know he’d volunteered for a similar fate to the one she was now inflicting on criminals. The next time this lot got loose, Flash might well not be around to stop them. She would do the job in advance, and avenge her dead husband several tasty times over.

Scudder looked at Elastigirl’s beautiful giant body, as her legs pushed against her expandable short skirt. Elastigirl swallowed Mirror Master quickly, and then went for Len Snart (Captain Cold).

“I could always use a little Popsicle,” she said, and licked his cold body like an iceblock, before sending him down to his fellow rogues. When she had emptied the prison, she headed for Gotham City.

What chance did any of Batman’s foes have?

In the mean time, Beast Boy had admired Rita for years, and was now watching the news footage of her prison rampage on the TV in Titans Tower, where he alone was on monitor duty. He decided he would like to go the same way.

However, from what he could discern, Elastigirl was only eating criminals. Night had fallen. Beast Boy turned into a bat and flew to catch up with Elastigirl. As she reached Gotham City, he changed to an ape, and attacked a foot patrol policeman. Elastigirl grabbed Beast Boy (Garfield Logan) tightly, as he changed back to his human form.

“Looks like I’ll have to eat my greens tonight too,” she said, “Has the whole world gone crooked, with even a Teen Titan and former member of my own team now turning to crime?

She sat down in Gotham Park, which was well lit by many lamps, and asked, “Why, Beast Boy? We worked together for a long time. Steve and I even adopted you.”

“And I fell in love with your giant body in my own way. Since you eat criminals, this is the only way into your beautiful mouth.”

“You haven’t thought of a way out though.”

“I don’t want one.”

“Logan! I never realised. You turned to your one criminal act for this?”

“Yes.”

“Alright. I’ll do it,” she said, and ate him.

Something about his willing sacrifice placated her, and she decided that Mento had been sufficiently avenged. But her stomach still craved more men now, and criminals were the only deserving victims.

She reached Gotham Prison soonafter, to find another giant woman (dressed in purple) blocking her way.

“I’m Leviathan. I got my powers from contact with my own late former partner Colossal Boy. This isn’t the way, Elastigirl. I come from the 31st Century, where our history shows the most horrific outcome of what you’re doing. If you don’t stop now, all costumed superheroes will be declared a menace and outlawed until Earthgov repeals it in the 30th Century. My partner died too, but this isn’t the answer.”

“Alright,” said Rita, and went into hiding, lest her former allies seek to capture the renegade giant super hero. But secretly she thought again about eating criminals. Anyone would do, even someone who was in jail for not paying a parking fine. She just had to be more subtle about the way she captured and ate her victims.