- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
MORE SPOILER WARNINGS: This story précis the origin of the golden age comic character Dollman (later acquired by DC Comics) told in Secret Origins#8 (1988) or in Dollman’s original golden age comics. Don’t read this chapter, if you don’t want to know it before you get hold of the comics.
One might think that Ray Palmer (aka the Atom) was the first tiny Super-Hero to encounter an Amazon.

One would be wrong.

Several decades earlier a man called Darrell Dane had invented a formula, which reduced his size and enabled him to retain the strength of a full sized man. Darrell had put his talents to good use, dressed in a blue costume with a red cape (which was rather a common fashionable combination at the time, wasn’t it?)

Dressed for the occasion, he would apprehend criminals, who were taken completely by surprise, when a seemingly tiny helpless man would pummel them into submission.

On one occasion, Darrell was walking the streets at night, while he continued to run his mind over an unsolved spate of jewellery store robberies which had occurred lately. It was only the 1940s, and more complex plots didn’t happen yet. So he was easily able to establish that the thief had been working their way through the city’s jewellery stories geographically.

Darrell worked out which store would be next on the list, walked there, shrank himself in the nearby alley, slipped in through the air vent and hid in the store.

“The thief hasn’t gone one night without striking so far,” he thought, and soon saw the thief come down through the skylight, after tearing the lock off with her bare hands.

“How can any woman be so strong?” he thought.

The woman walked forward in the dim light from the street lamps outside, which shone in through the glass doors and window of the store.

Dollman leapt at her leg, knocking her off balance. The woman fell over, rolled onto her stomach and grabbed him. Dollman was used to forcing men’s fingers apart, but this woman’s fingers wouldn’t budge.

“Not a chance, little man,” she said, “I’ve heard of Dollman, but you haven’t heard of me. I’m Avontha, an Amazon who abandoned Themyscira in 1911 to explore man’s world. I married, and slowly started to age, not as fast as normal humans. Yet in my 50s I do look like a woman in her late 30s.

“I’m honoured that you could trust me with all this,” he said, “I guess you’re one burglar I have no choice but to let go.”

“But I choose not to let you go,” said Avontha, as she emptied the store’s wealth into her backpack, “Where do you live, Dollman, when you’re in your civilian identity?”

It would have been easy to return there and take the antidote after his usual adventures. However this woman had as much of a strength advantage over him as a giantess would have over a normal man. His best chance was to let her take him home, and then try to get to his antidote and restore his size. Not that his full size would match her strength either, but at least he would cease to be a novelty, and she’d probably let him go.

Avontha reached his apartment soon and took him inside.

“We can’t go to my place. As I told you, I’m married. My husband knows I’m Amazonian, but not that I’m using my powers for crime. Now where’s your kitchen?”

He led her to it.

She took a bowl and placed him into it, and then sat down at the table.

“I don’t think you’ll be catching any more criminals,” she said.

He suddenly realised her intentions towards him.

“If you’re going to eat me, please reconsider. I can’t stop your crimes. I’m no threat to you.”

“Do you expect me to pass up a delicious Dollman dinner? I don’t think so,” she said and ate him in a few gulps.