- Text Size +

I was in no particular rush as I got ready for school on the day that my life changed. I dressed with no special care, fed Twinkle, my cat, and ate a simple bowl of cereal. Then I walked out the door and down the street with no true desire to actually reach my destination. School did not excite me and I did not really care if I passed or failed, not that I came close to failing, but whatever.

My walk took me through the middle of town and as it turns out, to the Ceremony of Entry at the Giantess Academy, that was opening that day. It opens every ten years and accepts only eight students in that whole time.

I did not know that the ceremony was taking place, or I would have avoided the center of town. The point is that I ended up getting caught up watching the ceremony. Main Street was blocked off so that it was a clear walk to the entrance of the school. Giant crowds of people were there to watch. Eight girls were lined up, one after another, and when commanded they started walking forward. As they each passed an invisible line they grew to become giantesses. It was quite the sight, seeing the eight girls each become such a powerful being and knowing they were the future of our world, that one of them would become the new Goddess after Nyx.

When the last girl passed that invisible line something happened to my body. I don't know how to explain it exactly. I lost control and was forced to watch as my body somehow got passed the barrier that blocked civilians from getting to the street and into the street where the eight 75 ft tall girls were walking, all looking straight ahead at the school, thus not down at me. I regained control, but lost the ability to move my feet due to fear. I looked up at the girls who were approaching my position, fast. People were noticing me and everyone was screaming at me to get out of the way, but I could not move; I was stuck. The people tried to get the attention of the girls and somehow one of them noticed, thank Goddess. She pointed me out to the others, right before the first one stepped on me. That first one stopped and they all followed suit.

“Just go over her,” I heard one of them say, her voice booming louder than the loudest speakers at a club that I had ever heard. After she said that something started happening to my body again. I began to burn up and at the same time get chills. Then it felt like all of my bones broke at once. I squeezed my eyes closed, fell on all fours and screamed. It hurt more than anything I had ever felt.

When the pain finally faded, I had lost track of how long I had been screaming. I could hear distant voices, whispering about something. There were so many of them. Then I heard a voice that was closer and clearer. “Wow, I didn't see that coming, when she went out into the street.”

“What do we do with her?” a new voice asked.

“I still say we walk over her. She is just in the way.”

“She is clearly like us, doesn't that mean she has to come with us?”

I opened my eyes and sat up. Looking around, I was surprised to find myself still in the middle of the street, but everything was so small, all except the girls who were standing in a line in front of me, all peeking around each other trying to get a good look at me.

“Y-you guys are the ones i-in the ceremony?” I stuttered the question. The girl at the front of the line nodded. “What happened?”

The second one in line answered. “You were stupid and ran out in front of our feet, almost got squished, and then ended up growing. You are interrupting our ceremony. Get out of the way.”

“Eris! Quit being mean. She is clearly one of us. She should enter the school.”

“If you want to give her your spot, Hera, go ahead.”

“But...”
“Quiet.” The word shook through my mind and rattled my bones. A woman had exited the school and was standing in front of us. Even at her small size I was still scared out of my mind of her.

“Mother Nyx,” the girls chanted. I realized then that the woman was the presently chosen Goddess of the world. That explained why I was so frightened by her presence.

She will be a ninth candidate. Get her in line and finish the walk.” Not even Eris argued. I scrambled into line and followed the girls down the street to the front of the school, where we shrank back down to normal before entering the school. We lined up next to each other, facing Nyx. She began the last speech of the ceremony. “You are here to learn to be Goddesses. You will each learn how to change size, how to become the protectors of the world. You will learn how to control yourselves and how to handle those who you are protecting. You will learn to deal with your instinctual lusts that come with being a giantess. Are you ready?

The other girls chorused a “yes”. I stood silently. “What about you, Iris?

The other girls in line looked at each other and then looked at me. “Is that me? Um... I guess I am ready, but there are so many things I have to take care of. I don't even understand how I got here.”

Although it is a surprise to all of us, you have been chosen to join this learning. You can not turn back, the question is merely custom. You are just supposed to say 'yes'.”

I could not say the word, so I just nodded. It seemed good enough for Nyx. “Welcome. Study hard. Only one of you will replace me. The rest will merely be support. Know this and prosper as candidates.” With that the ceremony was over. Nyx walked away, leaving the nine of us standing in the line still.

I collapsed into a sitting position. “Can any one tell me what I am doing here in a less poetic way?”

The girl, Hera, stepped forward. “Well, you know how the world is protected by the Goddess Nyx and that she has the power to become a giantess. Well she was human and like us she had to be taught to do what she does. On the last day of school, one girl is chosen to be the new Goddess and the remaining girls are left to help and support said Goddess, who will be the newly named Nyx. The same will happen with us. Although, normally we are chosen after applying through a DNA test. You were... not.”

She went on to name all of the girls. “We have known each other for months now. So let me introduce everyone. I am Hera,” she pointed to her own medium height, brunette self. “You know Eris,” she pointed to the tallish blonde who had been fairly rude. “Athena and Nike are the twins,” she pointed to the two strawberry blondes who were quite short. “Aphrodite, appropriately named as such, is the one next to them,” she said of the ridiculously beautiful blonde, who blushed at Hera's words. “Artemis is the one next to her,” pointed to the tallest of the bunch. “Hecate is hidden there behind her.” She was also short, especially in comparison to Artemis. “And lastly Selene.” She gave a tiny wave. “And then there is you, who has been named Iris.”

“Well, um... hello. But please answer me this... What do I do about my life outside? I mean, I know I don't live with my parents, but what about my old school and my cat and my job and my friends?”

Eris shrugged. “You have been given an undeserved privilege. What do you care what happens elsewhere?” She walked away, into the school. Some of the other girls also left, leaving me alone with Hera and the twins.

“Well I don't know about your job or school, but your cat can be brought here and you will be able to see your friends, here and there.” Hera gave me a comforting smile.

The twins looked at each other. “This will be interesting, sis,” one said to the other.

“That it will be. She already has Eris' feathers ruffled with the fact that she drew on the power herself instead of being forced to grow,” the other responded.

“And Eris is so competitive. This will be fun to watch.”

“So fun.” They shrugged together and walked away.

I looked at Hera. “What did they mean when they said that whole thing about drawing the power?”
She sighed. “We don't yet know how to grow. None of us has the gift. We are only given the gift when we are appointed the title of Goddess at the end of school. Until then we are given the gift for short bursts by the Goddess Nyx, but that is it. You took the gift, though. You walked up and just grew on your own, almost like you already had the gift.

“But we can deal with that later. Now lets find you a room to live in.” She led me down a few halls and finally came to a room labeled Iris. “Hm... looks like you already had a room. Here we are.” She opened the door and Twinkle ran out to greet me. Clearly this was where I was meant to be. “I will see you around.” With that I was alone, with only Twinkle for comfort.

“Guess I am no longer Rebecca,” I whispered. “This will definitely be... interesting.”