- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
THE WISHBONE INN,
KINGDOM OF TRUASCA
(PLANET AUWTH)
* * * * *

The regular after-work crowd was starting to shuffle in when Lorelai Allen first spotted a familiar feathered cap.

"Thornsie? As I live and breath. Get over here, you, and give me a hug!"

As it pays to stay on the good side of a super-witch, Theophilus Thornton--wandering minstrel extraordinaire--smilingly did as instructed. He was accompanied (at a respectful distance) by two hooded figures with wooden walking staves.

"It's good to see you again, Thornsie. These folks know a lot of songs. But, let's face it; without you, as conductor, they put the 'harm' in harmony."

"Why, thank you, Milady!" Thornton laughed, giving an exaggerated bow in emphasis. It was at this point Lorelai noticed his traveling companions and asked for introductions.

"Oh! How rude of me. Mistress Lorelai Allen, proprietor of the Wishbone Inn? Meet Dr. Beaufort Fronkensteen of Gallascais, and his apprentice Froderic."

"Good evening, Mistress Allen," they chorused. She nodded in response, before adding:

"A doctor, eh? I'm afraid you won't get much call for your services around here!"

Replied Fronkensteen: "We are well aware of the...unique...state of health enjoyed by Truascan citizens, Mistress Allen. I am a doctor of alchemy, however. And, Froderic and I are merely on our way to Pereni to pay our respects to the new Dowager Wizardess."

Lorelai frowned: "Whatever else you do, when you get there, don't call her that to her _face_! Lady Arculae can be real vindictive. And, her magic is pretty powerful. Even by _my_ standards!!"

"Duly and gratefully noted," said Fronkensteen: "May we have a table for three, please?"

"Certainly! Any friends of Thornsie's are friends of mine."

She led them to just such a table by a small wooden platform with a large wooden bar stool upon it. Obviously, this was the stage from which Thornton would later be asked to sing some ballads. In the meantime, though, the three men were given menus that they studiously perused.

Ten minutes later, a buxom serving wench approached them for their orders. Thornton simply ordered mutton and mead. The two alchemists, however, ordered Wishbone Specials. It took half an hour to prepare all three orders. And, another forty-five minutes to consume them at a leisurely healthy rate.

Fronkensteen was the first to mutter his wish. Namely, that Lorelai Allen would truthfully answer any questions he put to her. While Froderic wished that she would be totally paralyzed (except for her mouth), after being asked the first question!

As a result, when she came up to inquire if they had enjoyed their meals, Fronkentsteen nodded. Following which, he asked:

"Who was it who ordered the Wishbone Special responsible for the restaurant in this image?"

Whereupon, "Froderic" (also known as Agent 679) activated the spherical holo-projector. Showing a three-dimensional image of a stucco-painted building with a neon sign that spelled out "Wishbone's" in orange cursive letters.

Lorelai gasped: she had been tricked! She tried to cast a retaliatory spell. But, she couldn't move a muscle! So, she tried with all her psychic might to restrain herself from answering. But, "Fronkensteen" (alias Agent 678) repeated the question. Leaving her no other choice but to comply. Although, she did so through gritted teeth.

"I...don't...know...his real...name. He...called himself...Yrac...Cimoc...of Dortchad."

"And, what did this Yrac Cimoc look like?"

"Like...an overgrown...Lex...Luthor. Or... a midget... Carel...Struycken. Depending...on your...pop-cultural...preference."

"Speaking of which; is it true you've never seen a single Mel Brooks movie in your entire life?"

"YES! I can't...stand...that...vintage...crap."

Agent 679 looked at the minstrel: "You were right."

"Told you so!"

The super-witch was shocked: "Thornsie! You're in league with these two?"

Whereupon, "Thornton" deactivated his fairy-made glamorizer. Causing Lorelai to gasp once more.

"S-S-Stanley!"

"That's 'Mr. Wishbone' to you, my dear. Here! Try a free sample of 'Spell-breaker' gas!"

One "whoosh" later, she was sneezing and coughing. Giving Stanley Wishbone time to whip out one of his patented shrink rays (which sort of resembled a bicycle headlamp). Thereby reducing the helpless super-witch to one inch tall!

"There! That should keep you manageable once the paralysis geas wears off. During which time, you and I are going to have a nice, LONG talk...about multiversal copyright laws."

"Thank you for your co-operation, Stanley," said Agent 678: "I know we're leaving her in...good hands."

Agent 679 dutifully chuckled at the pun. Following which, he and his mentor pressed the "return" buttons on their teleportational batons.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
The "teleportons" are my concept. ;-)