- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
ARCADIA, CALIFORNIA,
EARTH-MRG (08/11/09)
* * * * *

Ray instantly prepared to shrink down to one-inch tall. It would be risky. But, if he could run behind the nearest of these women, he could re-enlarge and point his Model 39 at the right side of her head! He was prevented from doing this, however, by three little words.

Or, more accurately, one word repeated thrice.

"Cut! Cut!! CUT!!!"

Ray looked behind him, and stared in open-mouthed disbelief at the sight of an entire production crew. With a director of the Old School (including a black beret) centrally located in the front row, in a wooden folding chair.

"What the blazes is the stunt double doing in this scene?"

"I'll take care of this, Rontor. He's an old friend of mine from Nusi Academy. I sort of gave him an open invitation to come visit, if he was ever in the neighborhood."

"Well, you should have specified your _residential_ neighborhood! This is supposed to be a closed set."

"You're right, and I apologize."

Ray half-smiled at the irony of the woman who was doing the apologizing. Dana Schorr-Geraghty was the controversial sizehu actress who had starred in the first three seasons of DEMON BUSTERS as "Ms. Push" (the telekinetic first-born sister)!

The gossip columnists on Sizeloa had always been talking about how temperamental she was, off-camera. One critic had even alleged that she put the "psycho" in "psychokinetic." But, she and Ray had always been the best of friends. For, as half-human sizechangers, they had a common bond!

Now, as the two of them exited the building, Ray saw that it was a closed-down department store called "Cloverfield's." They walked a bit further, and then entered a spotlessly-white camper.

"Welcome to my home away from home. Long time/no see, Ray."

"Likewise. But, to paraphrase Herr Director, out there; what the blazes is going on?"

Dana giggled: "We're doing some on-location shooting for a two-hour pilot film called CHERUB. It's a proposed spin-off of DEMON BUSTERS, which I am executive producing. And, it's about a baby-faced sizevamp who tries to mend his evil ways by helping the helpless. This ex-department store is where the Big Showdown occurs, as he helps the Demon Busters vanquish...the Sizevamp Queen of San Francisco! All before emigrating to L.A."

Ray chuckled: "Sounds like a Nielsen magnet, alright. Although, I doubt you'll get the OK to do a full-fledged spin-off."

Dana smiled: "A certain ex-detective constable I know had the same doubts about DEMON BUSTERS getting renewed, for Season 5, after the killing-off of Ms. Push. Remember?"

"Touche'!"

"Seriously, though, Ray. What are you doing here?"

Ray looked at her before answering. She, too, had changed in the five years since his banishment. Her brunette hair was very closely cropped, now. And, yet, somehow, it accentuated her attractiveness. Well, that; plus the very form-fitting white turtleneck sweater she had on!

She seemed to be reading his mind, as she smilingly reminded him that her ears were a bit higher up. So, he apologetically cleared his throat and sat down, as he told her about his latest case.

When he got to the part about the thirteen Wishbone Specials, she giggled once more.

"Nothing conspiratorial about that. It was one of our extras making a late lunch-run, with one of the genuine cops who provide crowd control when we film outdoors."

"Oh! Well, doesn't that make me feel foolish."

"No serious harm done. You look a little beat, though. Why don't you catch forty winks, in here? Then, when you're rested and refreshed, we can talk some more."

"I'd like that, Dana. Thanks."

It turned out that she had a pull-down "Murphy bed." He took off his shoes before lying down on it. But, once he had, he was asleep--and mildly snoring--before Dana was halfway back to the camper's door.

tbc