- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

How I picture Roxanne...


He awoke slowly. He felt like he had been hit by a bus. Twice. The damn thing backing up to make sure it finished the damn job. He had a wicked headache and he felt exhausted. Like he hadn’t slept in days. He wanted nothing more than to crawl up into a ball and go back asleep. He grabbed his head and winced.

“Holy shit,” A distant voice rang out, “He is awake. The fucking thing worked.”

            With that he opened his eyes quickly and screamed. The feeling of exhaustion seemed to flee from his body as fear and terror seeped in. Looking down at him was a woman, no more then twenty-two years old with bright blue eyes. As he looked up at the gargantuan face, he slowly realized that he recognized her. It was his ex.

            They had broken up a few days ago after she caught him cheating on her with three different women. When she confronted him about it, he told her that she was horrible in bed and boring as fuck. The only reason he had stayed with her at all was that she let him use her credit cards to buy shit and never asked for money back. He was beginning to regret his words and actions now as he rolled over and began to crawl away.

            He could hear her chuckle and with speed he wouldn’t have believed possible a few hours ago her hand crashed down mere feet in front of him. The shockwave from the flesh hitting the wood of the desk was enough to cause him to topple onto his back.

            “For how much I paid for the fucking thing it better have worked,” a voice called out from somewhere.

            He believed that he recognized the voice, but he couldn’t pinpoint it. It was obviously from one of her friends.

            “Were do you think you are running off to so fast,” Roxanne whispered as if talking to a baby, “We haven’t even started having fun yet.”

            “Shit,” A third voice rang out. This one had an accent. He couldn’t even guess where it was from, but it was perhaps the most unattractive accent he had ever heard, “Mine isn’t it awake. What about yours Emily?”

            He jumped to his feet this time and began to sprint to the right. Crawling was a stupid idea to begin with, he thought. Mere seconds later though he felt a rush of wind and when he looked over her hand was gone. Lifted off in the desk like a rocket into space. Still, he kept at it. Only a quarter of a mile away or so was an open chip bag. He could easily hide in there. 

            A few seconds later he was on his back side again, her hand slammed on the desk in front of him, and she chuckled.

            “Give it time. The guy who sold it to me said it could take up to twelve hours for them to wake up. Remember their bodies have to go through a pretty big change,” The women whose voice he recognized said.

            He couldn’t help but wonder what she meant by a change as he looked up at the face of Roxanne. Smiling down at him, nice and bright.

            “I know you weren’t the smartest tool in the shed when we were together, but I needed know you were this stupid.”

            “Fuck you,” He yelled flipping her off.

            If she could hear him or if she understood the gesture she made no sign.

            “From my vantage point I am basically God staring down at your tiny form. I can easily see you and react to what you are doing well before you even have a chance to succeed. By the way, what kind of idiot runs for a chip bag.”

            She lifted her hand and it was only then that he stood back up.

            “To answer your question Hannah, no, my man is not awake.”

            This from a fourth voice. A thick southern accent coated her words. He was wrong, that was the worst accent he had ever heard.

            “I mean you do realize that I would eventually get a snack right and what do you think would have happened to you if I didn’t realize you went in their to hide?”

            She opened her mouth and mimicked lowering food inside of it. Followed by a swallow before she rubbed her belly. He understood what she was alluding too, and he shuttered.

            “So, what about yours Megan? I mean you bought the damn thing,” Asked Hannah.

            “Face it. You might as well get comfortable because you aren’t going nowhere.”