- Text Size +

            How did he get here? As, what seemed, the hours rolled by, he sat there silently and tried to work his way backwards. To find out what was the last thing he remembered happening to him. As his stomach began to unknot and his headache began to fade, he found it easier and easier to focus on this task.

            He remembered getting a text from his three best friends through a group chat. They were wondering if it was at all possible if he could come out and have a few drinks with them. Something he hadn’t done in quite some time to be honest. He was married now with two daughters. Twins, two-year-olds, and to be frank he just wanted to lay down and catch up on some much-needed sleep before he had to get up to go to work in the morning.

            His wife had other plans. Telling him to get up and get outside. That he deserved some fun before he burned himself out. She sadly wouldn’t take no for an answer and before he knew it, he had texted them that he would be there, he had gotten dressed in something more fashionable, and he was out the door.

            For a second, he had thought about texting them once he got to the car, telling them that he couldn’t make it after all, before falling asleep in the back seat. Yet, he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He was excited at the proposition of meeting up with his friends and having a few drinks to his surprise. The groggy haze he had felt when he was sitting on the couch beginning to dissipate now that he was outside.

             Before he knew it, he was at a bar having his third beer and having a great time. Trying to keep track of how he was feeling, knowing that he had to drive home and the last thing he needed was to be pulled over and given a traffic ticket. It was during his fourth beer that his friends began packing it up. It had been a few hours already and they all had engagements the next day of some sort.

            He didn’t finish his beer. He left it on the counter, and they headed out into the end of summer air. It felt fantastic. They had all parked in the same general area, so they sat around talking about something stupid and that was it. That was the last thing he remembered. He believed there had been a woman or women who approached them asking for help with something, but that part was hazy.

            He honestly could be getting that part mixed up with anything else.  In his current state it wouldn’t surprise him in the slightest if he was more than a little off. With that task finished he decided it was time for him to get up. He couldn’t sit here all day. I mean his butt was starting to hurt after so long of sitting on the wooden desk.

            He pulled himself up and instantly regretted it as his legs fell asleep. He spent a good three minutes or so trying to pull them back together and when the sensation finally wore off, he began to walk towards the base of the lamp. At his current size he appeared to be a good half a mile away. Yet he was determined to reach it. To stand beside it to see just how tiny he was.

            It couldn’t have been more than five minutes when he heard it. An explosion. Loud. He paused and turned around looking out the window. Half expecting to see the world on fire outside. His heart almost leapt out his chest as another explosion was heard, closer this time. There wasn’t a pause like with the first one. The second explosion was followed by another, followed by another, followed by another. It was then that the door swung open, and he realized just what he was hearing. Footsteps.

            Footsteps. He laughed out of fear, he laughed out of disbelief, and he laughed because if he didn’t then he would surely go insane. A figure entered the room with another explosion and this time he looked around for somewhere he could go. Somewhere he could hide. There was none of course. Not up here anyway. Perhaps on the floor he could hide amongst the garbage and what not but then what would stop the figure from crushing him like a bug underfoot.

            “Holy shit,” A distant voice rang out, “He is awake. The fucking thing worked.”

            The figure that entered the room looked at the desk, “For how much I paid for the fucking thing it better have worked.”

            The voice was female. As was the one that had originally called out. So, his memory wasn’t as foggy as he thought. Women had approached them. The other woma

n had also said that someone else was awake. Was it one of his friends?

            “Shit,” A third voice rang out. This one had an accent. Maybe German. He couldn’t truly say, “Mine isn’t it awake. What about yours Emily?”

            “Give it time. The guy who sold it to me said it could take up to twelve hours for them to wake up. Remember their bodies have to go through a pretty big change,” The women who stood before him said.

            She had yet to move. She just stood there. Staring at the desk. With how far away she was and how dark the room was he couldn’t make out any features except for how big she was but that was given at his current size. He couldn’t tell yet if he recognized her or if this was just some freak random kidnapping plot.

            “To answer your question Hannah, no, my man is not awake.”

            This from a fourth voice. A thick southern accent coated her words.

            “So, what about yours Megan? I mean you bought the damn thing,” Asked Hannah.

            The girl with the German accent. That question seemed to wake the girl up as with those fateful words she took another explosive step forward and he prepared for whatever came next. The knots in his stomach beginning to return.