- Text Size +


Chapter 7


I sat between two female titans, one black and one white. The black one's eyes were firmly locked on me, and I felt uncomfortably scrutinized as she looked me over, up and down. I dimly sensed that I was slightly hunched over, trying unconsciously to make myself invisible.

Sarah had been talking for the last twenty minutes, uninterrupted. Not once had Tamyra taken her eyes off me. I was worried that she could be in a state of shock, but every once in a while she had nodded, or turned slightly toward Sarah. I figured that she was probably listening carefully, struggling to take all this in.

Sarah continued to tell the story of my past week in her house. "So, we've learned to live together. The hoverboard makes it a lot easier for him to get around. It took some getting used to, but I think we've both become accustomed to this." She was speaking for me, as I could not speak for myself. But what she said was true. It was odd to think that it had been just one week since I had launched myself into this strange world. It felt like I'd lived my whole life here. Somehow, it felt almost natural.

Sarah hesitated for a moment, fumbled at her skirt. When she continued, she kept her eyes turned down. "Tamyra, do you remember how I told you I was falling in love?"

Tamyra nodded, not looking at Sarah. Her mouth was hanging slightly open, and I could see straight white teeth standing out in sharp contrast to the gaping black hole they bordered.

"Well, the one I fell in love with was him."

Tamyra finally broke eye contact with me, and turned towards Sarah in shock. Her mouth now hung fully open. "Him?"

Sarah nodded slightly, eyes still averted. "I know it sounds... weird. But I'd been talking to him for such a long time... It felt like I knew him better than anyone else. It felt like we were soulmates."

Tamyra's face was a mask of disbelief. "Are you sure about this?"

Sarah finally looked up at Tamyra, her eyes now a barely contained blaze of defiance. "I love him and he loves me. It's true, and nothing will change it."

Tamyra turned defensive. "Okay, okay, I didn't mean anything by that. It's just a lot to take in."

Sarah's expression softened. "I know. I was going to break it to you lightly, but you didn't give me the chance. I hope you can accept this..."

"Honey, he's your boyfriend. And if you love him like you say you do, there's no way I'm going to try and break you two apart."

Sarah smiled radiantly, and just seeing it filled me with happiness. Our emotions seemed somehow bound to one another's. Maybe we really were soulmates. "I'm glad. I'm really glad that you took this so well. You want some coffee or something?" She got up from the table.

"Just herbal tea, thanks." Sarah went off to the kitchen. Tamyra waited until she left the room. "Now let me get a good look at you."

She leaned in close, until her face was right in front of me, and I had a clear view of every pore in her skin. "I can see why she likes you," she said, and as her hot breath washed over me I was bathed in the smell of cinnamon. "You're pretty easy on the eyes.

"But listen up, little man, and listen good." Her hand came towards me slowly. I struggled against my fight-or-flight impulse, which was screaming for me to do the latter. "Sarah's had some bad relationships in the past. She's got a good heart, but she always seems to find herself with some guy who is a total asshole, and I can't do anything but help her pick up the pieces at the end.

"But now I can do something. So I warn you, you better not hurt her. Or else," she said, and her hand moved within a few feet of me. "I'll hurt you." Her hand slammed down onto the table next to me. I must have jumped at least a foot. I fought against the urge to cower, roll up into a ball. I couldn't let this woman intimidate me.

"I have no intention of breaking Sarah's heart," I said in as loud and bold a voice as I could muster. "It was as she said. We are mutually in love, and I don't want to hurt her."

"You better be telling me the truth," Tamyra said through gritted teeth as she pulled back. "Or I'll make you wish you'd never been born."

Sarah came back into the room with us. "Hey, how are you two doing?" she asked, setting down a saucer and cup of tea to my right as I scuttled away.

"Oh we're getting on fine," said Tamyra casually. "He and I were just having a little chat."


I spent the rest of Tamyra's visit watching her carefully and trying to be on my best behavior. I took her threat very seriously, considering my vulnerability at my size. I usually tried to keep some sort of object between myself and her, so that I'd have at least a chance to run if she decided to hurt me. I felt like a pet rat in close proximity to a pet cat and their owner. Sarah could protect me if Tamyra decided to get violent, but only if she was able to see what Tamyra was doing.

Sarah took her down to the lab, showed her the portal and hoverboard. I took my own miniature version and glided over to a far corner of the room, where I slumped against the side of a beaker. This world held enough dangers for me without my girlfriend having a possessive friend. The last thing I needed was an enemy who was over sixty times my size.

After fifteen minutes or so, Sarah said rather loudly that she had to get back to work on the portal. I lifted my head, and felt relief wash over me. Sarah had noticed my plight, and was trying to get rid of Tamyra. I was saved for that day.

"Oh, I think I'll just sit here and watch. Maybe look over the schematics." Tamyra replied.

A wave of nausea passed over me. She was trying to keep an eye on me.

"Um, okay then," said Sarah. I could hear a strange note in her voice, almost nervous. I figured she was worried about me.

More waiting. I stared at my nemesis. She was looking intently at the plans for the portal, occasionally sweeping aside the lock of straight black hair that hung suggestively over her forehead. Her long, glowing brown legs ran down to two lovely feet in jet black high heels. Everything about her, from the visible but not overly large muscles in her arms to her generous thighs and hips, suggested power and seduction. There was a smirk on her shiny red lips; I could see that her eyes, which were a dark shade that looked like purple, were not focused on the paper before her but rather trained on me.

Sarah grumbled, and Tamyra stood up. "You need something?" she asked.

"I'm missing the proper screwdriver, I don't know why I wouldn't have it with me... It's probably in the closet upstairs, a Shlips XJ-8 10 millimeter."

"Honey, I don't understand a word of that."

"Hmm. Why not take Eric? He can help you find it."

"Sure," said Tamyra as a smile spread across those thick, curvy lips, revealing wide white teeth bared in a horrific grin. "He can use that hoverboard, right?"

I hesitated, realizing the potential suicidal quality of this small task. Being alone with Tamyra was a chance I wasn't eager to take.

"Go on, Eric," Sarah said reassuringly. I realized that she had no clue about Tamyra. I also realized that I couldn't let her know what was going on. She wouldn't understand, and it could cost her a best friend. No, this was something I'd have to face on my own.

I snapped into the hoverboard, and began to glide alongside Tamyra as she walked up the stairs. I couldn't help but marvel at the well-defined muscles and flat stomach on display. That, and she had fabulous assets. But I shook my head. The only way I could think about her was as a threat.

Tamyra opened the tool closet, and began rummaging around. I kept a respectful twenty foot radius, hovering around her head. She pried open a tool box and began searching through it. Then she turned towards me, an annoyed look on her face. "Well, you gonna help or not?" I hung back stubbornly, muscles frozen, heart stopped. "Damn. You're really kinda skittish, you know that?"

I laughed, a sarcastic edge evident in my voice. "Oh, I wonder why?"

It was her turn to laugh, a spine-chilling one which was equally filled with humor and malice. "You don't have anything to fear from me, little man."

"Oh, sure. Nothing to fear except an excruciatingly painful death." This sarcastic sense of humor always seemed to creep into me when I knew I was in mortal danger.

She chuckled, and the mirth didn't seem to be interspersed with hate. "You've got an interesting way of talking around what you believe is dangerous."

I dared to glide in a few feet closer. "What I believe? I KNOW that you're bad news."

Again, she giggled. What the hell did she think was so funny? "Ha. Really. You think I just go around crushing little things for fun?"

She'd gotten me. I was tongue-tied. "Umm, no..."

"Unless you do something to Sarah, I've got no reason to hurt you. Hell, we could even be friends. I just outlined that one condition before anything else." She smiled pleasantly, but I knew she was capable of acting friendly even when plotting my demise. She'd already pulled the wool over Sarah's eyes.

"Very well," I said, coming closer but still very wary. I swooped through the air and alighted on the pile of screwdrivers. I dug around a bit, then placed my hand on a small red one. "This is the one Sarah wants."

"Why thank you," said Tamyra in a voice that was just a little too cute.


We returned to Sarah, and in a little while Tamyra looked at her watch and announced that it was time for her to go. She blew me a kiss as she walked out the front door. "Take care, little man." I shuddered involuntarily.

Sarah and I went back down to the lab, and I put the hovercraft down on the charger. Sarah went back to working on the machine. A few of her inches away, I sat with my head in my hands. I was totally exhausted, drained from my experiences that day. There was simply too much stress inherent in this life.

"Why do you hate her?" asked Sarah suddenly. Her voice was offhand, and she kept her eyes on her work. "I noticed that you never got close to her. It doesn't matter, you don't have to like my friends, but..."

"I don't hate her," I said limply.

Sarah paused and looked at me pointedly for a second. "If you don't want to tell me, I won't ask."

The next hour was spent in an awkward silence. I lay on the table and stared up at Sarah, admiring the gentle curve of her jaw and the graceful way her hair fell about her shoulders when it was untied. And I thought about what it would mean to lose her. Just what would happen when I returned to my world? I was serious about coming back to this one, once I left. And Sarah was all the more incentive for return. But my life was already complicated enough back home without a second one in this strange other world.

Suddenly, I was nudged by a very large finger. I sat up straight.

"Eric," Sarah's voice was solemn. "I think it's pretty much finished."