- Text Size +

Chapter Ten


Sarah pulled out of Brian's embrace, leaving him to stand there and slowly drop his arms while she went into the kitchen. "Can I get you some coffee or something?" she asked.

Score one for the home team.

"Sure, black with three lumps of sugar." Brian immediately made himself at home, taking one of the chairs at the kitchen table and putting his feet on another. I moved hand over hand and got into position directly above the kitchen table, so I could get a good view of the proceedings.

Sarah walked back into the room with the coffee, putting one cup in front of Brian and sitting down with the other. "So, what brings you here today?" she asked, her question seemingly innocuous.

"Well-" Brian began but Sarah swiftly cut him off.

"After being gone for a month and all."

"Sarah, I can -"

"Without ever officially breaking up with me."

"Now that was because -"

"All the while getting nice and cozy with my boss."

Brian was clearly at a loss for words. So was I, but mostly out of unmitigated joy at the serious tongue-lashing he was getting. After what he did to Sarah, he deserved it. If I was the vivacious effete queer type then I would probably have said something along the lines of "You go girlfriend!" However, I'm neither vivacious, nor effete, nor queer.

"Umm..."

"I really don't want an explanation for this, Brian." Sarah stated, the acid tone in her voice only increasing. "What I want is for you to tell my why you're here, the real reason, and then I want you to leave."

"Well. Yes. I... Umm...." He fidgeted, playing with his hands.

"Spill it. Quickly."

"I came because I was worried about you," he blurted. I doubted his sincerity, to say the least.

"Now why would you have any reason to be worried about your ex? You're the one who left, let's not forget."

"Sarah, don't be unreasonable. Just because I left doesn't mean I don't care -"

"But the manner of your leaving does mean it, Brian. If you're here to try and rekindle this flame, you effectively fire hosed it to death a month ago."

"Goddamnit Sarah, I'm not here for that!" Brian yelled, slamming his fist onto the kitchen table. Sarah reacted to this, starting backwards a little. I was unfazed. In my experience, people like Brian have a tendency to resort to violence when they're feeling helplessly outmatched.

He continued more quietly, "I'm here because you quit your job."

"Strictly professional, huh? And who told you about that anyway, your bitch queen of a girlfriend?" If she kept at it, Sarah could've outmatched Vanessa in cold, biting sarcasm.

Brian ignored her and continued to rush blindly through the rest of his argument. I guessed that he had it memorized beforehand. "This is your livelihood we're talking about Sarah, it's not something you can throw away so easily."

"And now it's impossible to quit my job? My, you don't realize how much I've learned about female empowerment in the past few days." Now what on earth did she mean by that?

She pretty much had it right, however. She was certainly the ascendant in the relationship. But over the past few weeks, it had gotten to the point where I didn't mind. In fact, I suspect that on some level I enjoyed her having so much power over me.

"Sarah, the military needs you. You're one of their lead inventors, you can keep doing good stuff for us. You just have to learn to be more forthcoming..."

"About all of my inventions? Well, try this on for size, Brian," she argued, putting a certain emphasis on the word 'size' which kind of unnerved me. "I have the right to withhold any invention I make. I made sure it was a clause in my contract, right there in the little fine print, the crap that no one except for me reads. You want to know the reason I read it? So I can avoid having sh*theads like you and my idiot boss talk to me about being 'forthcoming' and 'honest'. I have my rights, and I know them well. And two of those rights are to decide which of my creations to give you, and to terminate my contract whenever I wish."

I had never heard her sound quite so furious before. It was righteous fury, no doubt, but even a good distance away it frightened me. I'd never realized the potential Sarah had to become angry. If I had the made the wrong moves, she could have been a vengeful goddess instead of the gentle giantess I knew her as. Heck, maybe she still could be that vengeful goddess. I'd have to toe the line far more carefully in the future.

Sarah continued with her tirade. "So, Brian, I hope this was an informative and enriching discussion. I know it was for me. I confirmed for myself every reason I left the military. Wait, no, YOU confirmed them for me."

She got up and quickly stacked the empty coffee cups on the table, moving to bring them to the sink. I saw Brian's muscles tense, and there was a second of bewilderment on my part. Sarah had no idea whatsoever what was coming. Brian lunged out of his chair.

There was the tinkling crash of china as the coffee cups hit the kitchen floor.

Brian had Sarah in a chokehold, a standard regulation 9mm to her temple. "I tried to do this the easy way," he growled in a low, menacing tone I wouldn't have thought he was capable of. "I didn't want to have to hurt you, or force you into anything."

"You bastard," Sarah exclaimed weakly. She didn't have enough oxygen to really scream at him.

I quickly unstuck myself from the ceiling and whipped out my hoverboard.

Brian responded to her by tightening the grip his arm had on her neck, and mashing the 9mm against her forehead, creating a small cut. "Now I've got to offer you a choice," he barked into her ear in the same quiet, bad-boy tone. "You can either return to work in the military, based on a new, more restrictive contract..."

Sarah spat on the ground, and I had to dodge to avoid it as I continued to glide toward her.

"Or you can die, right here, right now." Brian finished. He was squeezing her very, very tightly. I began to be worried about Sarah's ability to breathe. But I had to concentrate on executing my plan. If I lost concentration and screwed up, both Sarah and I were as good as dead.

I finally got into position, slightly to the right of the right side of Brian's face. I toggled my mic. "Sarah, listen very closely to me." I said. She almost started when she heard my voice in the earpiece, but managed to control herself. "I'm going to offer you at most a five second distraction. I'm going to need you to put that to good use. Drive your elbow into his solar plexus as hard as you can, then ball your hands around each other and bring them down over his head."

She nodded slightly. That was the most confirmation I was going to get. I crossed my fingers. "On the count of three," I breathed.

"One."

Sarah's muscles tensed in preparation.

"Two."

I angled my body until I was leaning forward, arms outstretched, in a leaping attack position. Then I readied my foot on the accelerator. Amazing what military self-defense classes can do for you...

"THREE!"

I put all my weight on my front foot, jammed on the accelerator, and rammed full speed directly into Brian's eye. He wasn't ready for the impact, and jolted backwards, allowing me to withdraw from his face and watch as Sarah flawlessly executed the self-defense movements I instructed her on.

Brian wound up lying on the floor, seriously winded and probably with a concussion. Sarah performed a coup-de-grace by kicking him in the face with her bare foot, so hard his nose began to bleed.

"Enough," I said. "He's unconscious."

Sarah tossed her hair back, then walked over to me. The cut on her forehead dribbled a small amount of blood. "Thanks for helping out," she said somberly.

I knew I was going to be feeling some serious bruises the next day. "No problem," I said slightly weakly. "You didn't do too bad yourself."

"It's funny, you know. All these similarities between our worlds. I think we might've had the same self-defense course." She smiled widely, showing off those perfect, straight white teeth.

"Ha," I tried to laugh, but it came out more as a hacking cough, and I was alerted to a stabbing pain in my ribs in the process. "I don't think we're out of it yet, though. People in the military usually don't travel alone."

"You think he had backup?" she asked.

"Near positive."

She looked down at the unconscious man bleeding on her kitchen floor. "We're gonna need to get rid of the body."

"Drag him down to the lab," I replied.

Sarah bent down and grabbed his hand, then began to drag. "Yuck," she muttered.

It took a good five minutes to drag him down the steps into the lab, and I was well aware that we had at most fifteen minutes before his backup decided to come check things out. I glided over to the security console and looked at the different cameras we set up. "F*ck," I murmured to myself.

Sarah finished dragging Brian's body to the center of the room. "What is it?" she inquired, coming over to the console.

"We're surrounded." I replied, keying through the different angles. Each showed at least two military personnel outside each exit to the house, including the secret backdoor Sarah and I had installed the other day. Upstairs, there was a muffled knocking sound on the door.

Sarah instantly got up and began pacing the lab. "What do we do?" she asked urgently.

"Firstly," I said, "We don't panic. Then, we try and figure out some way to hide this body and get out of here. Now the question is, how do we hide the body and get out of here?"

Sarah looked over at the side of the room containing the portal. It was still in its primed state after the teleport the other day. "Eric," she said softly, pointing.

I looked over at her. "You're kidding, right? We haven't done nearly enough tests -"

"Eric, we've got no choice." she said firmly.

"All right." I agreed. What else could we do? "Put him through first. I don't care what coordinates, so long as its somewhere far, far away. I'll set up the countermeasure."

While Sarah began to type furiously on the teleporter controls, I glided over to the area we'd set up our countermeasure at. Six cubes of C4, placed strategically next to a structural weakness in Sarah's house. When they blew, they'd bring the whole house down, hopefully destroying all of Sarah's research and inventions in the process. I quickly began to punch buttons in order to set the timer.

Upstairs, there was a tremendous, muted thump. They were trying to bring down the door.

"I'll set it for six minutes," I told Sarah via mic.

"Sounds good," she yelled across the lab. "I'll initiate Brian's teleport now."

There was a blinding flash. When I glided over to the teleporter, Brian's body was gone.

"Bon voyage, mon ex cherie." Sarah said, her voice hysterically giggly.

"Don't lose it now." I said firmly. "We've got another four minutes to set up our teleport and be gone." I brought my hoverboard to rest in the soft palm of her hand.

There was an even louder thump from upstairs, and the house quivered slightly. "Jeez, what are they using to break down my door..." Sarah muttered.

"Never mind that," I said. "Where are we going to?"

"I dunno," she said shakily. "The government could probably find me anywhere on this planet.

I took a deep breath. This was a snap decision I was about to make. I had no choice, however. I had to save the woman I loved, and myself in the process. "Bring up the page file for my planet."

She skillfully manipulated the controls, fingers flying across the keyboard. "Got it."

"Okay, type in these coordinates..."

Upstairs, there was another huge thumping sound, followed by the crack of breaking wood and a loud crash. I looked over at the pile of C4 in the corner. Three minutes left on the timer.

I breathed in, and looked up at Sarah from my position in the palm of her hand. "You ready?" I asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Let's do it," I said with more confidence than I felt.

Sarah punched the button labeled "TELEPORT INITIATE".

The laser lanced into the portal just as Vanessa got to the bottom of the lab stairs. I could see the shocked expression on her face in slow motion as the flash spread out to cover the room.

Then she was gone, replaced by a swirling tunnel of light, an intense sensation of speed. The odd feelings of gravity manipulating me.

There was another bright flash, then absolute darkness.