- Text Size +
A Man of His Time

By NFalc


2
Kyra


The vehicle seems to be slowing, and finally stopping. The hum beneath my feet has cut out. I breathe a sigh of relief. Although I'd maintained a grip on the carpet, the motion of the vehicle had still buffeted me about quite a bit. It was good that the ride was over.

Doors opened and light flooded into the vehicle. As one of Sable's feet begins to rise I realize that I'll be trapped inside if I don't get onto her shoe quickly. I clamber onto the plastic sole and grasp the label firmly, waiting for the rush upwards. It comes quickly, and even more nauseatingly high into the air than before. She has to bend her leg in order to get out of the vehicle, and I fiund myself spinning, almost horizontal. I have to claw at the fabric of the label to keep from falling out.

Then I'm crashing towards the ground again, seeing the pavement in excruciating detail for a millisecond, then springing back into the air. Now that she was out of the junkyard, Sable walked at full speed, which meant about a hundred feet for each step she took. I have absolutely no idea how I managed to hang on, only that I did.

Then I was staring at a floor of shiny brown, with odd streaks running through it. A wooden floor. Looking up, I saw Sable's other high heel slam down next to me, and her foot slide out of it. Suddenly, the foot bed above me depressed, almost coming down on my head. I managed to duck and avoid it just in time. Sable walked off down a hallway, every step she took resonating like a thunderclap. Kyra followed her down. I could hear their voices in the distance, although I couldn't hear what they said.

I stay in the shoe for a short while, just to calm myself down and figure out just what was going on. After ten years of surviving, my life has just radically changed in the space of an hour. Some part of me doesn't quite believe it. Here I am in the house of two giant ones, possibly the last man alive on Earth. It needs some time to sink in.

Eventually I crawl out. I can still hear Kyra and Sable faintly down the hallway. Out of sheer curiosity, and again completely disregarding any inherent danger, I creep down to where they are talking. The door is open a little, and I'm able to peer in. The two of them are seated at a table, from what I can tell. All I can see are the legs of the chairs and table, and their feet. Looking around, I see tile beneath me, and what looks like an oven as well as a refrigerator, so I assume this is their kitchen/dining room.

I sneak closer, keeping myself in a crouched position and moving slowly. There's a possibility that they'll see me out of their peripheral vision if I move too fast. Running along the wall to my left is a piece of trim a little taller than I am. There's a small crack in it which I figure could work as a hiding place.

I dash over to it and crawl inside. The inside of the crack is dark and dank, but has just enough room to provide a good hiding place. I lie on my stomach and crawl out until I'm able to hear what's going on outside, as well as get a limited view of my surroundings.

Kyra's talking. "...but how can you really be sure? Maybe they're just - um, hiding."

"Really. Why would they want to hide from us?"

"We're so much bigger than they are. Wouldn't you be afraid of things if you were their size?"

Sable sighs. "Just face facts, Kyra. There aren't any of them left. Some were crushed by accident, others killed by animals, others died of natural causes. We did everything we could, but they're gone."

There's a hollow feeling in my stomach, and something is scratching at my throat. A voice is whispering faintly in the back of my head.

"But how can you be so -"

"This conversation's going in circles. I'm sick of talking about this."

"Fine." I can hear the petulance in her voice.

"You clear the table," says Sable. I can hear the scraping noises of her chair being pushed aside and then the booms of her high heels, which cross my line of sight a hundred yards in front of me.

The sounds of Kyra moving about the table and grumbling about the argument echo around the room. I'd like to run out to her and get her attention. I'm real, I do exist. There are men left. Or, there's one man left.

Could I really be the last of my kind? I find it hard to believe man would be so easily, and so completely wiped out. Surely there must have been some who escaped destruction, hidden away like me. If I'd survived, why hadn't anyone else? What made me special?

Why, actually, did I survive anyway? It would've been so easy to just give up. It had been pointless all along, just as it was pointless now -

You're going back to that place, that dark place towards the edge. Stop thinking about it. Think about anything else. Find something else to think about.

Kyra, I could think about Kyra. I tried to form a mental image of her based on the glimpses I'd gotten. Tan skin. Beautiful, long feet, with really cute toes. Light blue nail polish, which seemed like an odd choice to me, but it somehow worked.

And that was it. That was it? All I could remember of her was her feet? Pathetic. But I had only seen her face once, and I was somewhat distracted when I first saw her. Wait, she's right outside, cleaning up dinner! Go out and look at her now! I suddenly had to see her again.

I dashed out of my hole and looked around. She was gone, the kitchen was empty. It was a good thing, too, I quickly realized: If she'd been around she would surely have seen me. Despite my fleeting idea of revealing myself, I wasn't eager to be caught.

I took one final check of my surroundings. No one here, no audible sounds. They must be in other areas of the house. I've got a strong urge to find Kyra, but thankfully intelligence wins over instinct. Self-preservation is key right now, I've got to stay sharp; if I went looking for her now I could blunder into a room and be spotted. So instead, I clamber back into my hole and take a food packet from my knapsack.

As I tear open the meal I wonder, do I really have to find the red-shoed woman right away? Surely I could linger for a while here, and find out more about these strange giants, how they live and what they are like. My lower parts definitely like the idea, I stiffen just thinking about it. Living with Kyra and Sable. It'll work, for now.


I'm on a large, open green field, covered in the kind of grass I saw in storybooks as a child. The field stretches out to eternity before me. I look behind me, and I see just ten feet away a hundred men, and I know them. They're the people I grew up with. The inhabitants of my city, stretched out on the grass behind me. Every one of them is staring at me.

I turn back, to avoid their eyes. And when I turn, there she is, just a few hundred feet away from me. Kyra. And she’s my size. I can see her now, in detail: smooth tan skin, lovely hazel eyes. She has delicate, curving lips and somewhat prominent cheekbones. Her expression is serene.

And I don't think it's the dream-logic that tells me she's beautiful.

I start walking towards her, but as I continue forward, something goes off. I don't seem to be getting any closer, and as I walk she starts to loom over me, until I have to look up to meet her eyes. I look over my shoulder to see the men behind me shaking their heads. They've begun to dwindle in height.

Still I keep walking. I'll make it to Kyra, I know I can. But she's growing, larger and larger, and now my eyes are level with her waist, passing over her gorgeous curves. I feel as if I'm no nearer to her than I was before. My pace increases, and as I look down at my feet I realize that with each footfall, there's something welling up under my feet. With my next step, I watch carefully and see the liquid rise. My shoe comes away stained with red.

I look up, and now Kyra is towering high above me, I'm level with her ankles. I stop walking, but she continues to grow, higher and higher above me. Now my eyes are on her huge, cute toes, whose nails are about to be higher than my head. "Adam?" Kyra's voice calls from above. "Adam, where are you? Do you really exist?"

I turn to see that the men are all my height again, but we are all pathetically small, smaller than ants. I look up and see a huge red sole hovering high above us all. It's dropping...


...And I'm awake to find that I'm shaking. I'm terrified, more than I usually am after a nightmare. I realize that subconsciously, I expected traveling to the giants' world to solve all my personal problems. Now here they are again, just a step behind me as always.

I crawl slowly out of my shelter, but there's no need to be careful; I already know that neither Kyra or Sable are around. The house is completely silent. Sunlight streams down on me from skylights above. I stare up at the furniture above me. No matter how many giants I've seen, I've never really gotten used to their scale, and the house around me simply reinforces how large they are.

I remember one of the key rules for survival - always know the territory you're traveling in. If I'm going to stay with Kyra and Sable for a while, it'll help to know the layout of their house. So I spend the day exploring, finding out which rooms are where and the best hiding spots in each of them. The next time I'm alone like this, I think to myself, I'll hide food around in case I get trapped in a room. It's another thing you learn about survival - plan ahead. As I look around the house, I find myself constantly looking over my shoulder, expecting to see one of the women staring at me.

They don't come home, however, until much later. It happens when I'm exploring what seems to be Kyra's room. It's 4:30, by her digital clock. I hear the noise of them entering and immediately dash behind a large photo frame on her nightstand. Then the door opens, and in she comes. She's as stunning as in my dream, and there's a smile on her face, I don't know why. Then, as I gaze from just behind the frame, she begins to strip.

She peels off her t-shirt, tossing the massive garment aside. It makes a loud whooshing noise as it goes past me. I continue to stare, enraptured, as she unstraps some sort of undergarment. She looks sculpted, not made by normal means. My eyes travel up her torso, past her flat, smooth stomach, to the ribs that are just barely visible, on up to those two magnificent breasts with taut, erect nipples. She tosses her head, and shiny jet black hair swings about her face.

Then she pulls off her jeans. I don't even have the faculties to describe what I see. All I know is that it's wonderful, and I desperately long to be closer to it. She lies down on the bed, her movements making a huge depression in the mattress. Then she closes her eyes and pulls the sheets over her. She sleeps naked. I may or may not be the last man alive, but I am certainly the luckiest.

I pause a moment to look at her as her chest gently rises and falls. Then, before I know what I'm doing, I hurl myself over the edge of the nightstand, and grab onto the electric cord of her reading lamp. Kicking off from the nightstand, I swing back and forth to gain momentum. My actions are causing the lamp to shake a little, but I don't think my weight's enough to knock it over.

I swing back and forth, turning my head so I can see behind me. You've got to time it right, get more momentum... you're almost there, just, that's it, jump! I leap through the air, limbs flying, to fall with a smacking sound onto the side of the bed. I just manage to get a hold of the wooden edge of the bedside, and pull myself up. Kyra's breathing becomes more shallow, and there's huge noise and motion above me as she rolls over, but then her breathing becomes regular again. I thought for a second she'd found me.

My ribs are really sore from the impact, but the knowledge of what lies just above me numbs the pain. I stand, and finding myself shorter than the mattress, proceed to work my way around. Logic's taking over again, and I realize the stupidity of what I'm trying to do, but also a marginally more intelligent way of going about it. I can't crawl over her head, neck, torso or legs without her waking up, but if I start from her feet and work my way downwards, I've got a chance of success.

I look at her face once more. She looks sound asleep. I take a deep breath, then lift the thick blanket and sheets and crawl under. It's dark and warm underneath them, although the weight of the multiple coverings presses down on me. I can barely see where I'm going, but I forge on ahead anyway. Soon the blanket is no longer pressing down on my back, and I can smell Kyra in the air around me. I figure I'm somewhere around her feet. As long as she keeps her legs spread, this will be easy.

I continue moving up, and the warmth around me grows more intense. I stop, and, tentatively, ever so gently, put out a hand to my right. Her skin feels warm and soft, amazingly delicate for her size. I lightly rub my hand against it. I've never known feelings like this before. I never knew this existed. I lean my head gently against her thigh, and can feel and hear her heartbeat.

I know instinctively that I'm not finished here, and crawl a little further down. There's a strong smell around me, and I know that it's a woman's smell. I'm close to her, very close. Once more, I reach out. What I feel is slick and warm, and reacts to my touch. I push against it slightly, and it trembles. I run my hand down it, and I hear a moan of pleasure. I wonder if Kyra is still asleep, and figure that she must be, or she'd certainly have done something by now.

I figure that if I'm going to let my instinct guide me, I may as well completely give in. I thrust my head forward, completely inside the warmth and wetness. I rub my head along her insides, savoring the moment. This is what happiness feels like. I withdraw for a second to catch my breath. Above me, the moaning has gotten louder. She must be enjoying this too. I put myself in up to my shoulders, reaching deep inside her, feeling for what's there. And although I don't even know what I'm doing, my hand crosses a small lump that feels harder than the rest. When I brush across it, the moaning gets still louder. I push against it, pumping my hand on it, and force myself still deeper, until my head is next to it, and I start to lick. Far above, Kyra is no longer moaning, but shouting.

Shouting? People don't shout in their sleep. I quickly slide myself out of her. "Yes!" Kyra shouts, her voice terrifyingly loud. "Don't stop!"

I turn and begin scuttling away as fast as I can, adrenaline pushing me onwards. I can't get caught. That would be the end of everything. I can feel motion around me, and I pray that Kyra isn't getting off the bed. The bedspread in front of me starts to lift, and blinding light floods into the space under the covers. I run forward until I can see again, and I'm just passing her feet. She didn't get off the bed. I turn to my right, desperately looking for an exit. There's a sheet that drops down to the floor, and I fling myself over the edge.

As I fall, I see a hand grabbing at the place where I just was. Timing is everything. I manage to get a hold on the sheet and begin to slide, stopping myself just before I hit the floor. Then I jump down, only to see a massive pair of female feet land right next to me. I dash under the bed, but realize right away that not only is it not dark enough to conceal me, but that this is the first place she'll look. Panicking, I look desperately around, trying to find a hiding place. And, thank goodness, there is one. There's a crack in the siding, similar to the one I saw in the kitchen. I slide into it like a baseball player into third base, and turn to see Kyra in front of me..

She looms enormous before me, her head fifty of my feet away. She's still naked, and is propped up on her elbows under the bed. Her breasts are in full view. I'm already getting turned on again. Her lips are in a sexy pout. "Come out, little man," she says, pleadingly. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to see you."

I lie frozen in my refuge, unable to go out. She doesn't know I'm here, I know that much. Her eyes are focused on a different area. I'm still petrified.

"Won't you come out and talk to me?" she asks. I want to, I really do, but I can't. I have a mission, I remind myself, and I can't allow anything to endanger it. Even if she's as kind as she looks, there's the possibility she'll keep me from what needs to be done. I can't go out. "Okay, if you want to stay hidden, I won't force you out. I won't tell anyone either." She pauses. "Thank you. It was short, but wonderful." Then her head is going backwards, away from me. She stands up, and I'm left with a glance at her feet before she's gone. Creaking noises above tell me that she's lying back on the mattress.

I crawl back into my hole, and lean against the wall, drained and happy. It's almost difficult to believe what I just did. It seems like another person went to her, someone with more courage than I, and did what I did. But it was me. I gaze at the wall and think of what Kyra said, then close my eyes, my face flushed from my tiny victory.