- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 2 of my rewrite version of oishi1's story, The Gift.

Images of Kylie by Allure-Alley.

The Gifts: Having Second Thoughts


What did I just do? Upton paced in his dorm. I’ll do it? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! What was I thinking? Maybe I should just call Donna and tell her I changed my mind. He kicked his chair. He knew it wouldn’t work.

Even if she didn’t follow through with her threat to come get him, how could he face himself? This was his “one true love”. If he couldn’t be with her one way, he had to be with her another. He saw no other option. If worse comes to worst, at least he would become one with her - a part of her. And that gave him some peace of mind.

There was a knock on his door which brought him out of his stupor. After a moment’s delay, he looked through his spyhole to view the other side. It was a young, pretty blond, bending down to look back at the spyhole that she knew he used.

“Upton, it’s me, Kylie.”

 (Kylie)

Upton answered the door, swinging it open into the room. Standing in front of him was his friend Kylie, a freshman. Although he thought her somewhat naïve, Upton looked on Kylie almost as a younger sister. Though pretty, she was so sweet and innocent and pure that he didn’t entertain any impure thoughts about her. They had sometimes studied together as they both had a Psych101 class in their schedules.

Kylie walked into the room a couple steps and asked him, “Would you mind if I borrow your Psych book? My roommate Beth spilled her lunch on my book when I was studying and some of my pages are unreadable. I’ll have it back to you right after class.”

Upton looked lost in thought and didn’t immediately respond. Lending out a book to a friend was the least of his concerns.

Kylie began, “Sometimes, Bittie just is so careless…”, but she observed the worried look on Upton’s face immediately. “Upton, what’s the matter?”

“Kylie, I did a very dumb thing”, he said ominously.

“Omigosh. What is it?”, she asked, seeing that Upton looked like he was unsure about telling her some type of secret. Her curiosity triggered her question.

“I…I told Donna I’d go to Forbidden Dish with her”, he finally spat out after a couple seconds. He was embarrassed to admit it, even to a friend, but more-so since that friend was a female. He wondered if she’d think him weak.

“You did? Wow. With Donna, huh?”, she exclaimed.

“Yeah. I was thinking about calling her to tell her I changed my mind”, he started, “but if I do that, I’m sure everyone on campus will know about it within the week. Remember Clark? That poor guy. I think he was so ridiculed that he just up and quit school.”

“So what’re you going to do?”, Kylie asked. She was now both curious and amused at this turn of events. She had yet to go to Forbidden Dish herself, but she’d heard the rumors and she found the idea of eating shrunken men intriguing.

“I dunno…”, Upton said, scratching his head and looking down at the ground. “What would you do if you were me?”

“Hmmm. Let’s see. Well first, how come you volunteered for her?”, Kylie inquired.

“I really like her Kylie…I, uh, think I love her”, he replied, “But she said she doesn’t want to date anybody right now. I overheard her and Martha talking about taking Ronni there for her birthday and Donna asked if I wanted to go. I…I just have a hard time turning her down. I guess I thought this was my best chance to get close to her.”

Kylie was in thought for a few moments before she remarked, “I think you should go. I’m sure Donna is just teasing about eating you. I don’t think she would really do that. She’s friends with Martha, who seems so nice - I can’t see her being friends with a monster. I mean, she knows you and she knows you really like her. I can’t see her going ahead with actually eating you. On the other hand, if you chicken out, she probably won’t talk to you again.“

Upton considered Kylie’s comments for several seconds before speaking. “You’re probably right. I think I will go through with it. Partying with her and Ronni seems like it could be fun. Thanks Ky. You always give good advice.”

“Awww, you’re welcome”, Kylie said, giving him an endearing look.

Upton took his Psych book from a shelf and handed it to her. “Ky, if I don’t come back, you can just keep my book.”

“Don’t say that”, Kylie responded, “I’m sure you’ll be fine. Do me a favor and text me when you get there and let me know how things are going and I’ll give you advice.”

“Kylie, you’re the best”, Upton said and Kylie broke into a big grin. He hunched over and gave her a big hug.

“Yeah, I am pretty good, aren’t I”, she quipped.

--


Chapter End Notes:

continued in the next chapter