- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Upton knows that the only way he'll impress his college crush, Donna, is by commitment. Deep commitment.

On their night at Forbidden Dish, who will have the most fun - Donna, Martha, or Ronni?

Chapter 1 of my rewrite version of oishi1's fantastic short story, The Gift.

Images of Donna and Upton by Allure-Alley and PionixLLC, respectively.

The Gifts: He didn’t just take me seriously, did he

 

The hangdog look on Upton Krueger’s face was pathetic. It would almost be comical if it wasn’t so sad. He was telling Donna how they were meant to be together because they liked the same shows or breakfast cereals or whatever. (She’d heard the same speech from so many guys it all kind of blurred together now). It had gotten old really fast.

“Listen, Upton, I’m trying to focus on my education right now. I’m not really looking for a relationship”, Donna said in as gentle a voice as she could muster, “You understand right?”

As they worked out together in the small community gym, adjacent to both their dorms, she didn’t take her eyes away from the treadmill she was running on, but instead observed him as he stood next to her machine using her peripheral vision.

Upton tried to speak, swallowed, and tried again. The only sound he could muster was a strange click. His feelings were hurt by the girl’s flippant rejection of his advance after he’d spent weeks cultivating what he hoped to be a growing relationship. After striking up casual conversation, he’d performed several favors for her around her dorm and finally built up the nerve to ask her out, believing he’d earned her trust. As he tried to collect his thoughts, he heard movement behind him.

 

Suddenly they were not alone.

 

“Hey Donna, Ronni said she’s totally free tonight”, Martha started as she walked into the room, then she saw Upton and paused, “Oh! I’m sorry, am I interrupting?”, she asked, already starting to back away.

“Don’t worry about it”, Donna said, “Upton was just leaving.” Donna had completed her running routine and stepped off to talk to Martha. She picked up a small hand weight to curl.

Upton looked over Donna in her sporting outfit one last time, taking in what he thought was a gorgeous, fit frame to match her alluring face. He took the hint and slowly started to walk away, his feet like lead. Glancing at him, Martha thought he looked a bit like a whipped dog with it’s tail between it’s legs.

 

“So, Forbidden Dish and birthday shots huh?”, Donna asked, “She seem up for it?”

Upton stopped.

“Uh huh, I knew she would be”, Martha said, “at least, I hoped.”

“I don’t know why you like to go there, you never do anything the whole night, and yet you insisted on going that one night and randomly decided to invite Ronni there for her birthday”, Donna said.

Martha Shrugged. “I don’t know”, Martha said blushing. She didn’t do well as the center of attention. “I just…like it. That’s all.”

Donna shook her head. “Hey, I wonder if Upton would want to go”, she said jokingly, the thought striking her at the same time that she uttered it aloud. She noticed that Upton had stopped and turned around. He looked like he was really focusing on something. He didn’t just take me seriously did he? “What is it Upton?”

“I uh, that is, I’ll do it”, his voice was wavering, “I’ll even buy the drinks.”

An amused smile crept across Donna’s face. She was always amazed at what playing just a little hard-to-get would net her.

  (Donna and Upton)

“You know what Forbidden Dish is, riiiight?”, Donna asked, lingering on the last word playfully, “Tell the truth now.” She began walking towards him slowly.

Of course he did. By now rumor of Clark standing Donna up had leaked to every corner of the campus.

Upton nodded slowly.

“And you know if we go, I only want one thing for dinner“, she said. She was unbraiding her hair as she walked over to him, stopping only a few inches from him.

Upton nodded again. He was now sweating. Having her stand so close made his brain shut down. Her sparkling blue eyes seemed to pierce his soul. “I figure it would be worth it”, Upton said. He sounded like he was still trying to convince himself. Her dimples were hard to resist.

“Well, you better be sure. If you change your mind later, I’m gonna come get you anyway”, Donna said.

“I-I’m sure”, He stammered.

“Good”, Donna said, “I’ll pick you up at seven. Oh and Upton, no cold feet now.” She gave a little laugh.

Upton, too stunned to fully take in what had just happened, walked in a daze back to his dorm.

Donna and Martha headed back to their dorm room, Donna with the need to rinse off before going to class. Donna paused a moment to look back over her shoulder, then they both continued, giggling.

 

*** 

Chapter End Notes:

continues in the next chapter