- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


The bustle of the diner was a dramatic change in atmosphere from the quiet of the house. It was a new place, having opened just a month ago, so there was still a fairly large crowd for an otherwise uneventful Thursday night. It wasn't exactly packed - Alex and Jack had managed to get a booth at the back of the place with at least one empty table between them and any other group - but there was still a comfortable energy in the restaurant. Alex and Jack were enjoying a nice meal together, the conversation flowing smoothly as usual.

Before they'd left, Alex had gone through her closet for a different outfit. The effects of the remote had on her wardrobe were more than just it's size; the style of clothing had shifted as well. Not many women's clothes were made for someone Alex's size, so most of her old outfits were replaced with pieces that were more size agnostic. Regular pants and leggings replaced by skirts and dresses, probably meant to reach the knees or lower on someone more standard height, but only reaching mid-thigh on Alex. Most of her increased height was in her legs, so her tops were mostly unchanged, though a few were replaced by smaller pieces like crop tops. Alex settled on a relatively simple outfit: A white crop top, a skirt reaching just above her knees, and a pair of boots.

Alex also made a slight modification to the remote itself. a small strip of black translucent tape over the end of the remote hid the flash just enough without interfering with the function. Alex could discretely grow or shrink whatever (or whoever) she wanted, as long as she could hide the remote itself. If she kept her hand under the table, that shouldn't be a problem at all. As a test, she gave herself a little boost as she and Jack sat down. Now 6'10" tall, Alex towered over everything in the diner - even sitting, she was taller than almost anyone who walked past. She got a few looks from passers-by, nobody here had seen a woman as tall as her before, after all.

Her and Jack made small talk while they waited for their food, but Alex had other plans. She scanned the dining area looking for a target to work her magic on. She thought about using the remote on Jack, but decided against it - she liked Jack just the way he was. If she changed her mind, she could try it any time later anyway.

A table across from them was caught her eye. The couple sitting there was having their order taken by a waitress, a short redhead about Alex's age. She was cute, with freckles dotting her face and shoulders, and a few tattoos visible on her arms and legs. Alex checked to make sure nobody was looking her way, then discretely pressed the up button under the table. The waitress didn't react, continuing to take the couple's order as Alex increased her size inch by inch. Soon she was Jack's height, then she stretched even taller. Her uniform - a white button up blouse, black vest, and black skirt - struggled to keep up with her expanding form, barely avoiding a wardrobe malfunction as the formerly small waitress was becoming quite the imposing figure. By the time she stopped growing, she had to be over 6 and a half feet tall. With the heels she wore, She might be able to look Alex in the eye.

The couple talking to the waitress didn't notice anything strange, of course. It was quite entertaining to watch them turn their necks higher and higher to look up at the waitress as their perception updated on the fly. After she'd left, she could hear the couple whispering to each other. Alex couldn't make out the exact words, but the shocked expressions and frequent glances towards the waitress let her know what they were talking about. In a few minutes, she wouldn't stand out as much.

Alex's next target was sitting at the bar, a few seats away from anyone else. A young woman, probably in her mid 20s, nursing a cocktail and scrolling on her phone. She was talking with a clearly very intoxicated man who had wandered from one of the larger groups and was failing miserably to flirt with her. Once in Alex's sights, the woman quickly overtook the drunk man in height, a man who was quickly becoming more unsure of his choice in targets with every inch the woman grew. Their interaction ended when the woman stood up, the drunk man stunned as he found himself face to chest with the 7 foot tall beauty. She gave him an slightly awkward smile before walking off, leaving the man confused at the bar. Alex couldn't help but giggle.

As their dinner continued, the average height of the women in the diner was quickly climbing. In between making small talk with Jack, Alex continued her little experiment. A couple sitting across the room had their height difference reversed. Every waitress in the restaurant gained a couple inches every time they entered the room until the shortest of them was 6'5" barefoot. A group of college girls commanded the room as every one of them reached 7 feet tall. Not wanting to be outdone, Alex boosted herself back up to 7'6", easily towering over everyone around her again. Her elongated legs could barely be contained under the table as her knees bumped it's underside. She was easily the tallest person in the diner, but when every woman around her was 6 feet or taller, it didn't draw nearly as much attention as before.

Alex focused the remote on the last woman still untouched by her meddling: The hostess, a 5'4" brunette that greeted Alex and Jack when they came in. She grew just as the others did, but something was different. As she grew, the entire building began to shift around her. Ceilings raised, doorframes expanded, furniture shifted and morphed to accommodate the new average height. Alex watched in awe as tables and booths warped and expanded, granting her the leg room she had lost after her last spurt and then some. The bar counter raised itself several inches higher as the stools stretched to match. Those still left standing below 6 and a half feet could still use the furniture with little issue, but they looked almost like children that had snuck a seat at the adult table. Nobody but Alex thought this was strange at all, of course.

Distracted by the morphing building, Alex didn't notice that the hostess had surpassed even her own height. When she took her finger off the button, the hostess had to be close to 8 feet tall. Even among the giants surrounding her, she stuck out like a sore thumb. Alex thought about shrinking her to a slightly more reasonable size, but found herself almost mesmerized by the sight. She didn't want to undo the effects on the restaurant, either. She and Jack finished their meal and left the diner shortly after, the massive hostess bidding them farewell as they went.

The restaurant wasn't the only building that changed. In fact, every single building on the street seemed ever so slightly different. Stretched upwards to accommodate the new height of their inhabitants. Just how far reaching were these changes? At the minimum, the whole town must be affected, right? Alex did some research on her phone as Jack drove them home, confirming her suspicions. Her previously unremarkable town was now known for it's abnormally tall women. Nobody knows exactly why, but a few generations ago, the average height of women born here had skyrocketed. Alex had a pretty good idea why, though.