- Text Size +

Annie took a deep breath as she looked down at the dress the servants had brought. Amazon women’s formal wear was nothing like the puffy and frankly outlandish dresses that the high society in the empire favored. No, Amazons still wore dresses, but theirs were lighter, made of airy fabrics, and unlikely to hamper movement, they also came with a pair of pockets sewn in just near the hips where they flared out. As she slipped an ebony black dress over her head, she glanced at another piece of fashion that wouldn’t be found in the Empire.

“Why do you get a sword and I don’t?” Clyde muttered, raising an eyebrow.

“It’s just a ceremonial one,” Annie giggled, strapping the belt and scabbard around her waist. It was an elaborately jeweled thing; one Christine said her mother had worn to various events to the Amazon capital. She pulled the blade out, examining it. It was thinner, lighter, than her own sword, but still sharp.

“Still,” Clyde protested, “I should get one, right?”

“I’m afraid not,” Annie said with a sad smile, “most of the men here don’t do any fighting… I do have something for you though.” He cocked his head curiously, then frowned as she lowered an ornate diamond necklace over his head, one which went well with the white tunic he was wearing. She giggled at his reaction, leaning down and whispering in his ear, “I think you look good, really good.”

Clyde glanced down at the outfit the servants chosen for him. It was a fashionable black tunic, matching Annie’s dress, with an unusually low v-shaped cut on the front, exposing his chest. The pants were also rather tight around his buttocks, and Annie leaned over, squeezing them appreciatively as he blushed.

“Why is Queendom formalwear for men tailored so close?” he muttered, glancing back at his bottom with a slight scowl.

“To show you off,” Annie said with a wink. “It’s just for tonight, and maybe if we have to go to some function with other nobles… I couldn’t imagine you in anything but your armor.”

He smiled, “Well I don’t wear that most days either, but I suppose it’s not a bad thing to be pictured in by the woman you love…”

“Tomorrow we’ll speak to the guards, maybe see if they need someone to drill recruits,” Annie said as the pair walked towards the door together.

“Do you really think Amazons would want to learn swordplay from a man?” Clyde asked hesitantly.

Annie shrugged, “if it’s good enough for their liege lady, it’s good enough for them. Come on, I’m starving!”

Christina watched as Annie and Clyde entered the hall. The room was starting to fill with the women at arms, and a few of their husbands and fancied men. The amazon tables had high chairs so the men could sit and eat at the table, even if the women would still tower over them, and servants, mostly men and little sisters, scurried about, setting tables.

The hall itself was a large stone amphitheater, the arching high ceiling having been built centuries before by one of the Ironshield matriarchs of old. Where the estate had once been a well-fortified border castle, years of successful expansion by the Queendom’s armies had driven the frontier far away, and the windows which had once been arrow slits were now expanded into vast stained glass affairs, each depicting a scene from the Ironshield house’s noble history, glowing brightly in the setting sun.

The air was celebratory, with pitchers of strong ale and bottles of liquor being passed along the tables already. The sweet scent of roasting red meat billowed in from the kitchens, where the estates menfolk were hard at work preparing the coming feast.

“Are you okay Christina?” one of her guards asked, startling her. “You seem tense.”

“I just want everything to go well for our returned liege’s banquet,” Christina said with a sweet smile.

She glanced around the room, of the thousands of women loyal to the Ironshields, and the hundred or so that were on the estate at any given time, only six were loyal to her and trusted enough to participate in her dealings with Tebryn. Those six women were coincidentally the ones chosen for guard duty, and the only Amazons in the hall with anything other than flimsy ceremonial weapons. Four of them were in full armor at each corner of the room, massive Amazon broadswords at their backs and bayoneted muskets at their sides. Two more guarded the door to the hall, and would be sure it was locked at the appropriate time.

Her part in the plan was only to make sure that there was no competent defense of Annie, and as the drink from the plantation’s rum distillery flowed among the loyal soldiers, Christina was sure they’d be too slow-witted to come to their returned lady’s aid. Her own women would be “too stunned to react,” and she herself would take but a single wound defending Annie, a light one which Tebryn promised wouldn’t even scar, just enough to absolve her of suspicion.

She saw Annie and Clyde entering the room, and fought to keep a smile on her face as the women in the room cheered. She beckoned them over to her, seething internally.

Why are they all cheering for this whelp? Christina thought angrily, It wasn’t her who has run this estate, brought this prosperity! If Christina had any doubts about her choice of action, the raucous excitement from her own servants erased it.

“Have a seat here, at the head of the hall,” She said, pulling a chair out for Annie. Clyde climbed into the one next to her, setting himself at her side with a grin as the two young lovers gave each other sickeningly sweet looks.

Annie looked to the chairs next to them and frowned suddenly, “Where are Svetlana and Palledia?”

Christina sighed, sitting next to Annie, “My dear, you’re Lady Ironshield now… You cannot be associating with a criminal like Palledia Griselda, and the elf I believe left with her, two peas in the same pod no doubt.” She looked away, feigning sadness, “I spoke with her before she departed, she seemed to know her place in things, and wished you all the best.”

“Send riders after them,” Annie ordered, standing up so suddenly it startled Christina, “NOW!”

Christina glared at Annie a moment, “Your responsibilities as a Duchess must come-“

“I wouldn’t have any of this without her, and I won’t take any of it without her,” Annie said coldly.

“I must agree,” Clyde said, looking up at the towering amazons. “Palledia saved all of our lives several times over, and from a practical standpoint a skilled woman at arms with proven loyalties is more than worth a few dirty stares and rumors in a nobleman’s… Noblewoman’s , court.”

A mouthy little man you are, Christina thought irritably, the last Ironshield would come with a straw haired pretty-boy who thinks he knows politics.

She forced herself to calm, then smiled, “You are right of course,” she said demurely, “At first light tomorrow I will see to it that our fastest couriers are sent in all directions to find her, she won’t have gotten far in a single night. I know you are upset, but please don’t spoil this occasion for the rest of your vassals, who have waited so long and so eagerly for your return?”

Annie slumped back in her chair, an annoyed look on her face, “Very well,” she said with a wave, “but it will not be at first light, it will be as soon as this banquet is concluded!”

“As you wish, Lady Ironshield,” Christina said, reaching for a goblet of wine. And won’t it be nice to never say that again…

“My gun is ceremonial, ” Amaya spat. The argument with the pair of guards at the entrance to the grand hall was getting heated.

“There will be no firearms except in the hands of Ironshield guards,” the other Amazon said sternly, “Ceremonial swords only. You can leave your gunbelt here with me and I’ll return it to you when the banquet is over.”

 

“Whew,” Amaya Spearwall muttered, looking around the hall as she approached the table’s end, “You really are the lost Ironshield girl, aren’t you Annie?” She glanced up at one of the stained glass windows, where a proud amazon in battle regalia was depicted with a standard in one hand, a sword in the other, and a stern face that looked almost exactly like Annie’s own.

“Yep!” Annie beamed, “I didn’t know myself until about a month ago, it’s all so strange…”

“You’ll have to get used to all this high society stuff I’ll bet,” Amaya muttered, grabbing a bottle off a passing tray and uncorking it. With a flourish she drew a strong glass for herself, taking an appreciative sip. “My Aunt Cynthia and my Parents took me to the Queen’s court a few times, but I guess it never really took.”

“Nobility isn’t in the wallet as they say,” Christina said with a small smirk, “even one as full as your mother and father’s.”

Amaya glanced at her with her father’s practiced look of indifference, “Sure enough, but I’ve seen enough ugliness to tell you it’s not in the blood either.”

Christina frowned, Arrogant little upstart, she thought as she took a sip of her wine. Dirk Sommer and Cora Spearwall might be darlings of the Queen and her court, but the rest of us see you for what you are, upstarts with new money and no respect. She almost couldn’t wait to see what Tebryn would do to the girl.

“Speaking of nobility, where’s Griselda?” Amaya asked with a frown, “I had a few more choice words for her!”

“She’s not the woman you think she is,” Annie said defensively.

“Are you sure she’s the woman you think she is?” Amaya retorted. “I like you Annie, but that’s Lady Griselda, she’s killed my kin and tried to steal our land.”

“I know,” Annie said softly, “I’m not asking you to forgive her, but she’s not that person anymore, I’ve only ever known her as Palledia, the woman who took me in, who risked everything and faced assassins to bring me here.”

Amaya’s mouth was a flat line for a moment, “She seems to have done well by you,” she finally admitted.

“By all of us,” Clyde muttered, staring into his cup.

“Here comes the first appetizer,” Christina said, cutting off their conversation, “Look, this is Amazon sweetbread with auroch cheese crust, after living in the Empire so long you simply must try it!”

Christina watched the wheeled carts apprehensively. The Lizardfolk mages were skilled with teleportation and portals, though they required idols to their serpentine god to make their spells work. One of these carts hid one such idol, enough to let maybe a few dozen of the hissing creatures through, no match for the castle’s garrison of course, but more than enough to kill a pair of women and get out.

“Look,” Palledia said, annoyed, gesturing to the lights that lit up the Ironshield estate as the last of the sunlight drifted below the horizon, “A large banquet, just as I said!”

“I’ll lower my gun when I see my daughter,” Dirk growled, keeping it level on Palledia’s back.

She rolled her eye, “Of course.”

“You wouldn’t know anything about what it’s like to have a daughter,” Cora muttered, “to have someone you care about!”

Palledia frowned, “I…”

“Let it go Palledia,” Svetlana said, plodding along at her side, “let’s just get these people their girl and get them out of our hair.”

“What,” Cora sneered, “don’t tell me you had a kid?”

“I didn’t!” Palledia spat angrily, turning around briefly, “I…” She sighed, “Annie is… something like a daughter to me.”

“Something like,” Svetlana said, rolling her eyes.

“And she knows the kind of person you are?” Cora asked, crossing her arms, “or did you make up lies about us? Tell them how you were some noble woman, fighting to save Rain’s End-“

“Okay enough!” Svetlana said, turning to Cora. The Amazon balked down at the diminutive elf, who angrily confronted her, Dirk, and Cynthia. “Yeah, we all know, she did a lot of bad stuff,” Svetlana said, her voice rising, “But I’d take her at my side over anyone else in the world, I’ve seen more of what an Amazon is supposed to be out of her than any of you!”

“That a fact?” Dirk asked, a little amused.

Palledia glanced at her friend, and the two shared a small smile, “Dirk, Cora, Cynthia,” she began, “I’m…” She blinked a quick tear away with a scowl, “I am sorry for everything I’ve done, I’ve spent nearly two decades stewing in regret. It won’t mean anything to you, I don’t expect nor deserve your forgiveness… I’m going to go forward and do what I can for the people I care about, and do what’s right by them and the Goddess.”

“You think you’ll ever be right with the Goddess?” Cora asked.

“She is,” Cynthia said, raising an eyebrow.

“What!?” Cora exclaimed, “Cynthia, you can’t be-“

“It’s my place to know such things,” Cynthia said dismissively, “I don’t know if I am ready to look past our history Griselda, but you carry Diana’s blessing, it lingers on you like a sweet perfume.”

“Yeah, she banished a demon,” Svetlana said, “It was pretty awesome.”

“You took my daughter to fight a demon!?” Cora hissed.

“It was before I met her!” Palledia protested.

“We’ll settle this later,” Dirk said with a chuckle as they reached the manor gates. It might have been her imagination, but Palledia thought he lowered the barrel of the rifle ever so slightly.

In spite of Palledia and Svetlana’s absence Annie slowly began to let herself enjoy the evening. Toasts roared up and down the tables to her late mother and father as one after another servants rose and regaled them with stories of the late couple. With each passing toast the stories grew more slurred and more outlandish, until finally she was hearing one woman at arms proclaim the wildest tale yet.

“And thattssh when your mother and I killed a dosszen lizzards with our bare handsh,” the woman managed, swaying slightly. With a thump she sat down in the chair, and shouts and applause echoed up and down the ranks again.

As she finished a large dessert cart was wheeled in, covered in a splendid silver traytop. Annie, Clyde, and Amaya leaned in eagerly, and the crowd grew silent as they readied themselves for the final dish of the evening.

The servant lifted the top, and there was a gasp as an ugly brown idol with a sneering grimace and glowing yellow eyes greeted them.

Allow me to tell my own sstory of your mother and father!” Tebryn’s voice echoed.

There was a crack of lightning and suddenly the air over the tray seemed to rip in twain, revealing some far off jungle. A dozen lizards with drawn swords poured through the gateway, led by a grinning Tebryn Darkscale, his red eyes gleaming as his familiar fiery sword leapt to life in his hand. Screams broke out as the tables burst into flames on either side of the hall, creating an impassible barrier for the guests as Tebryn and his horde of hissing green followers advanced on the main table.

“Your mother felled my prince in battle,” Tebryn hissed, “And from that day forward I have been pledged to vengeance upon your housse!”

“Out of the way my lady,” Christina said, leaping over the table and drawing her thin ceremonial sword. She swung it wide, steeling herself for the small sting of a cut on her arm. Instead she gasped as Tebryn stabbed his flaming sword through her chest.

“Our bussinesss iss concluded Lady Christina, ” Tebryn whispered with a smile. With a grunt he shoved her massive body to the side, letting her tumble to the floor.

Zee and Terra had been in on Christina’s work with Tebryn Darkscale almost since the beginning, and it made sense that they would have the most important job, keeping the great hall door locked. Ostensibly it was to prevent uninvited people from coming in, but when the time came, it would be more effective in making sure nobody left.

“Look at this fucking gun,” Zee said, hefting Amaya’s massive revolver eagerly. “Six shots, and it’s got a shotshell barrel too, can you imagine drawing this thing?”

“Her dad owns the arms factory in Rain’s End,” Terra muttered, glancing over at the weapon, “She probably gets first pick of anything that comes down the line.”

“Well I’m thinking I’m keeping this,” Zee said, buckling the gunbelt around her own waist. She grinned, resting her hand on the gun’s grip.

“Go ahead,” Terra said with a shrug, “She won’t need it after tonight.”

The sound of approaching footsteps interrupted the conversation, and the pair of guards stiffened as a group came into view down the hallway.

“Hope you don’t mind,” A blonde man called, “But we let ourselves in.”

Zee and Terra readied their weapons, “L-Lady Christina’s orders,” Zee began, “no one interrupts the banquet!”

“I just need to find my daughter,” Cora growled, stepping forward, “I’ve been to the Ironshield estate before! My husband sold you those guns you’re holding!”

“Goddess,” Zee muttered, recognizing Dirk Sommer, “No entry, no exceptions!”

There was a boom from inside, “In the name of Diana open that door now!” Cynthia shouted, raising her staff.

“Y-You can’t!” Terra shouted.

“Why are you wearing my daughter’s pistol!?” Dirk snarled, looking up at Zee’s towering form. In spite of the difference in size Zee withered under the man’s furious gaze, and slowly unbuckled it, dropping the gun to the floor and stepping out of the way.

“Hey, Priestess,” Svetlana shouted, weaving spells in the air, “give me a hand with this door!”

“Gladly,” Cynthia said, joining her magic with the elf’s before loosing it on the wooden gate.

“Clyde!” Annie shouted, grabbing him and scrambling backwards as the first of the lizards leapt over the table. She drew the ceremonial sword, gulping nervously as she held the thin blade before her and her beloved.

“They’ve got guns!” Amaya shouted, diving for cover behind the table as the crack of black powder weapons rang over the surprised screams around them.

“Ssuch wonderful toys,” Tebryn chuckled, drawing a pistol from his own belt.

Annie’s eyes went wide as he cocked it with a clawed thumb, leveling it at Clyde. She squeezed her eyes shut, putting herself between Tebryn and him.

*CRACK!*

He missed? Annie thought wildly, opening her eyes in wonder as the expected sharp searing pain didn’t land. Instead a reptilian squeal of pain reached her ears, and as she opened her eyes she just caught Tebryn Darkscale’s hat flying from his head, his own shot striking the stone wall behind Annie and Amaya.

“Daddy!?” Amaya squealed excitedly.

Dirk grinned from behind the sights of his still smoking rifle, lowering it with an almost mechanical precision for reloading as Cora and Palledia bellowed battle cries, running by Dirk on either side as Svetlana and Cynthia followed, casting spells and extinguishing the flames.

“Annie!” Svetlana shouted. With a shout she leapt over the table, her spear lancing out at a pair of lizards and striking them down just before they could reach the girl.

“W-Why did you leave?” Annie asked, blinking tears out of her eyes.

“I… got confused,” she replied.

“This is touching,” Clyde said, scooping sword out of a fallen lizard’s hand, “but we should settle it later!”

“Hey Darkscale!” Sveltana shouted, “Ready for a rematch!?” lightning crackled across her fingers as blue bolts of fire leapt out at the lizard, staggering him as he snarled defensive spells and raised shields.

“Face me then elf!” he cried, lifting his hands high and letting howling demons made of fire leap from his claws.

“Back to the pit with you!” Cynthia shouted, her eyes glowing blue as she raised her staff, dissipating the spectral attackers.

“What’s the matter?” Svetlana taunted, “Can’t handle two girls at once?”

“If you find a few more maybe it sshall be a fair fight!” the lizard roared. His eyes flickered a moment, and the stained glass windows on the sides of the hall shattered as a fell wind burst from the outside, causing the guests to scream as Tebryn levitated, his tail whipping behind behind him ominously.

Light flashed through the hall as the two mages traded spells with the black scaled sorcerer, and there was another rifle crack as Dirk took his second shot of the evening, earning only a brief flash of a magical shield before the crumpled bullet clattered to the ground.

The guests were beginning to rally, though drunk and surprised they were Amazons, and even without weapons they were grabbing anything they could, from cutlery to broken bottles, and leaping to the defense of their lady.

Amaya cried out in pain as one of the lizards raked a sword across her arm, and she nearly dropped her pistol, clasping a hand over a bleeding wound. Cora came to her daughter’s side like a lioness, sweeping the lizards before her with practiced swordsmanship that had made her the finest warrior in Rain’s End. With a snarl she threw herself in front of her daughter, daring the lizards to come at her.

“We’ve got to get out of here!” Palledia shouted, gripping Annie’s arm and heading towards the exit.

“No!” Annie said, pulling away, “We can’t run from him forever!”

Palledia glanced at the levitating lizard, who was now using telekinesis to hurtle the heavy oak tables at his foes. Svetlana muttered a shrinking spell, reducing one to doll furniture just as it clattered into her chest impotently.

“This is beyond swords and spears,” Palledia muttered.

“He wants me,” Annie said firmly, “He’ll come fight me if I call him out, come with me!”

“Goddess, you are an Amazon,” Palledia sighed, gripping her spear, “right…”

“Annie!” Amaya muttered, limping to her, “I think you could use this more than I could!” She handed her pistol, complete with the gunbelt, to the other Amazon.”

“Steady yourself!” Cora warned, helping her daughter keep upright, “we need Cynthia to heal you now!”

“She’s busy mom!” Amaya snapped, pointing to where the priestess was cutting down a wave of shadowy teeth filled forms Tebryn had called up. She turned back to Annie, “Remember how to use it? There are three shots left.”

“And a flick of the switch on the side for the shotgun shell,” Annie nodded, buckling it around her waist.

“We’ll keep the rest off of you,” Clyde nodded at Cora as they eyed the remaining lizards.

“Sounds like a plan,” Cora muttered, “Amaya stay close, and don’t tear that wound open!”

“I’m not a baby mom!” Amaya protested.

Palledia and Annie strutted forward, “Tebryn Darkscale,” Annie roared, holding her sword high, “Come face me, let me avenge my mother and father, or let you avenge your prince, either way it ends here!”

Darkscale turned to her, and with a scowl flicked his claw. A wave of purple energy lanced out, wrapping around Svetlana, Dirk, and Cynthia and tossing them bodily out of the hall. The doors slammed shut again, locking with a click.

“Thosse three are sskilled,” Tebryn said with a grin as he descended, his claws clicking on the stone, “that will hold them for minutess at mosst, but we won’t need that long.”

The flaming sword appeared in his hand again, and for a moment Annie felt a tinge of fear. A firm hand clasped her shoulder, Palledia’s hand. She gulped and steeled herself.

I’m an Amazon, she thought, thinking of all Palledia had taught her. With a shout she ran forward, sparks flying as she crossed blades with Tebryn.

“You’ve gotten better!” Tebryn said with a grin. He ducked below her strikes, using his smaller size and his speed against her. Palledia jabbed at him with her spear, scowling as he leapt up and over the shaft, darting up it and raising the flaming sword to strike her. Annie’s own slash caused him to leap down again, and the lizard ducked and dived like a dancer, staying just ahead of their attacks as he looked for openings for his own.

Goddess I’m getting too old for this, Palledia gritted her teeth, struggling to keep up as her joints burned and her muscles ached. Still, they were keeping the lizard on his heels, and with all of his magical power going towards keeping the barrier in place he was forced to meet them with only his skill with the blade.

Tebryn hissed in pain as the tip of Annie’s sword scratched up his arm. He leapt back, drawing the pistol at his side again and cocking it.

“Annie look out!” Amaya shouted. She limped forward, her own sword in hand, and instead of Annie Tebryn turned the barrel of his pistol towards her.

“AMAYA!” Cora shouted, sprinting to her.

Time seemed to slow for Palledia, and she felt as if she were underwater as she leapt between Amaya and Tebryn. The loud crack of the gun seemed faraway, and she grunted as she felt as if someone had punched her in the gut. The strength left her legs, and she tumbled backwards. The roar of the battle faded, and she felt a numbness creeping through her, extinguishing the fires of pain as Cora looked down at her, stunned.

“Palledia?” Annie whispered.

“You will ssoon join her!” Tebryn snarled, dropping the smoking pistol and rushing at her.

Annie gritted her teeth, blinking away tears as her blade blurred, blocking each of the strikes. With a roar she adopted a stance the fallen Amazon had taught her, leveraing her mass and bringing heavy blows down on Tebryn, causing him to stagger with a hiss.

“Sstrong, but too sslow!” Tebryn mocked, twirling under her blade and getting inside her defenses.

Next it was Clyde’s style of swordplay, leaping backwards and deflecting each of his blows and causing the lizard’s rage to boil over. Annie shouted in pain as Tebryn slipped low, slicing the side of her leg and letting the magical sword sear her skin.

I’m not good enough to beat him, she realized, blinking through the pain, not even with everything Clyde and Palledia taught me… She felt the weight of the gun, and stepped back, whipping Amaya’s pistol out and cocking the hammer.

* blam-blam-blam *

Tebryn shrieked in surprise, dancing around each of the shots as they sparked around the stone where he’d just been.

Missed every one, she thought angrily. A sudden idea hit her, and she pulled the trigger another few times, letting the click of the empty gun ring through the hall while she looked at it in faux surprise and horror. Get closer you son of a bitch…

Tebryn chuckled, stalking towards her, and she gulped as he readied his sword again, “No more bulletss,” he hissed, “And with a hurt leg…” he clicked his tongue, “No more sswordplay for you…”

Annie flicked the switch on the side of Amaya’s revolver, lowering the firing pin down to the shotshell chamber.

* BOOM!*

Tebryn’s red eyes went wide, and he shuddered once as the massive Amazon sized firearm barked. His scales were tough, but as he looked down at his elegant dark clothing, dark red blood began to spread across his tailored suit. There was a whoosh as his fiery sword dissipated, and a moment later he fell to the ground.

The remaining lizards stared, seemingly in shock. They looked at one another, then one by one they dropped their weapons, raising their clawed hands in surrender. The various amazon women at arms came forward, grasping the smaller creatures angrily.

“If they surrender, do not harm them,” Annie ordered sternly. She sighed, standing over Tebryn’s body, panting from exertion and suddenly feeling every stinging cut she’d taken over the course of the battle. She let her sword fall to the ground too, ignoring the clatter as she limped over to Palledia.

“G-Griselda?” Cora asked, keeping her hand over the bullet wound. The older amazon had gone deathly pale, and her remaining eye was closed.

The door to the hall burst open again, and the two magic users stormed in, Dirk following them with his rifle at the ready.

“No!” Svetlana shouted, running to Palledia’s side. Her hands glowed blue, and she gritted her teeth as she willed the wound to shut.

“Rest elf,” Cynthia said. She lowered her staff, tapping Palledia’s head with the point of her staff. “Goddess Diana,” she whispered, “save your daughter, bring her back to us…” Soft blue energy traced down the carved rod, and a moment later Palledia stirred.

“Is she going to be okay?” Annie asked fearfully.

“She’ll need a lot of rest,” Cynthia said, “but she’s strong, she should recover.”

“Annie, you need to lay down too,” Clyde said softly, “That’s a very nasty wound.”

“No,” Annie sighed, looking at the battle worn banquet guests and the captured prisoners, “This is my estate, my steward is dead… I need to take charge here. Svetlana, seal this thing shut and don’t bother keeping the pain down.” The elf obliged, running a glowing blue hand up Annie’s leg a moment, causing her to wince as weeks of healing passed in a flash. “Right,” she sighed, clearing her throat, “EVERYONE LISTEN UP!” she bellowed, catching the attention of the remaining partygoers, “Here’s what we need to do…”

Palledia groaned, stirring in the bed. With a start she bolted upright, gasping as she looked around for any sign of Annie, Tebryn, of anything. Instead she found herself in a small bedroom, clean clothes on her, and a white bandage on her side. The door opened a moment later, and a man entered with a bowl of water and fresh bandages.

“Oh,” he said with a start, smiling, “Y-You’re awake Miss Griselda!”

“You can call me Palledia,” she growled, rubbing her head, “what happened?”

“You took a wound in the battle last week,” he explained, “we’ve been tending to you!”

“Last week! ?” Palledia snapped, “Where is Annie?” she paused, “I mean Lady Ironshield, where is-“

“Alive and well,” the man reassured her, “Along with the rest of the companions you came here with, in fact I’ll go fetch them at once!” with that he hurried out of the room, leaving her to collapse in shock onto the pillow.

Dirk and Cora reached her first, and she sat up as the blond man and his towering Amazon wife entered the room, “I wouldn’t expect to see you two wishing me well,” she muttered, shifting in the bed.

“You took a bullet for my daughter,” Dirk said flatly. “Whatever else is between us, I’m not the sort of man to let that go without a proper thanks.”

“You almost looked like the woman I remembered from the war,” Cora said with a smile. “If we ever see you around Rain’s End… I won’t draw a sword on you unless you earn it.”

“Fair enough,” Palledia sighed, leaning back.

The next to come was Svetlana, who bounded eagerly up the bed, “Palledia!” she squealed, hugging her and looking comical against her massive frame. “I was so worried!” She looked down at the wound, “That Cynthia girl is much better at wounds than I am, Tebryn did something to his shot that made it hard to seal up, but she managed it…”

“Is Tebryn…” Palledia let the question hang in the air.

“Oh he’s dead, Annie got him with a shotgun shell,” Svetlana said with a dismissive wave, “he’s old news, everyone’s getting ready for Clyde and Annie’s wedding!”

“They’re getting married already?” Palledia asked, raising an eyebrow. Good for you Annie, move quickly.

“Well in a few weeks,” Svetlana explained, “she’s been holding off on the details, I think she wanted to talk to you first.”

There was a knock on the door and Annie and Clyde entered next, grinning at the pair, “We’re all finally together again,” Clyde said with a chuckle, “It’s good to see you awake Palledia.”

“And to see you, Lord Ironshield, ” Palledia said with a smile.

Clyde blushed, “Yes well ah… I’m learning much about Amazon wedding customs.”

“Let’s give these two a minute,” Svetlana said, gesturing for Clyde to follow her out.

Palledia watched with a frown as the pair left, leaving her and Annie alone.

“Well here we are,” Palledia said softly, “you’re seated as the new Lady Ironshield, and from the looks of things you’ve slipped naturally into the role.”

“Clyde and Svetlana have been helping me a lot,” Annie admitted with a blush, “but… yes, I’m getting the hang of things… I need a new steward though, an Amazon who can manage my household, organize my women-at-arms…”

“I can’t Annie,” Palledia said softly, “the damage it would do to your reputation-“

“To hell with my reputation!” Annie snapped, “If you won’t take the position I’ll jail you until you come around!”

“You can’t just jail me Annie,” Palledia chuckled.

“Oh I can’t? I wouldn’t know, I don’t have a steward to explain laws and such to me,” Annie said indignantly.

Goddess, she’s not going to give this up…

“Fine,” Palledia grumbled, laying back on the pillow, “I’m yours forever.”

“Excellent!” Annie beamed, “And the other thing, as I’m sure you’ve heard Clyde and I will be getting married…”

“Congratulations,” Palledia said with a smile.

“… And I want you to march me down the aisle, as my mother would have,” Annie finished.

Palledia froze, “A-Annie, are you sure?” she asked softly.

“You’re the closest thing to a mother I have,” Annie replied, “I can’t think of anyone else to do it.”

Palledia sniffed, turning away so the girl wouldn’t see her break down, “I… I will.” She took a deep breath and composed herself, turning back to the younger Amazon. “I’m looking forward to it, I should be on my feet by then.”

Annie just smiled, standing up, “Well I’m afraid I’ve got a lot of work to do,” she sighed, “and they want me to train in spear-fighting too, apparently my mother was quite good at it, and Clyde insists there will be a place for steel on the battlefield for some centuries yet, guns or no.”

Palledia glanced at her own mother’s spear, the family weapon she’d carried through their journey, the only thing she’d taken with her from Rain’s End.

“Annie,” she said, gesturing to it, “take this, it was my mother’s, it’s the finest Amazon craftsmanship you’ll ever find.”

Annie’s eyes went wide, “A-Are you sure?”

“I can’t use it in bed girl,” Palledia chuckled, “and a noble needs to be seen by her subjects wielding a noble weapon.”

Annie hesitated a moment, then grasped the weapon excitedly, running her fingers up the ornately designed shaft, looking at her reflection in the polished point. She grinned, and gave Palledia one final hug before standing up and walking to the door.

“I’ll be back at dinner,” Annie said, “we can eat together, and I’ll tell you everything that’s happened!”

“I’d like that,” Palledia said with a smile.

With one final nod Annie left, off to take up her responsibilities as Palledia rested, content, on the bed.

The wedding of Annie Ironshield and Clyde Orrick became a massive affair, the story of her perilous journey home had set the imagination of the Queendom alight, and every Duchess and rich merchantwoman who could manage it attempted to secure invitations. The Queen herself was due to make an appearance, with both of her husbands at her side.

“What do you mean she wants to see me?” Palledia asked the servant girl.

The young amazon gulped as Palledia readied her dress, scowling as she looked over her formal attire, “S-She was very insistent lady Griselda, I didn’t really have the chance to stop her, I just got ahead of her, so-“

The door swung open, and a towering fifteen-foot mountain of a woman stooped under it, stepping into the room. The servant girl cleared her throat, fleeing the scene as the Queen entered, two men at her sides.

Queen Eudoxia Highgrass was a mighty woman, with thick thighs and wide hips, all the more impressive as stood over even the tallest of other Amazons. With her dark brown almost black hair and regal face she was a sure daughter of Theodora, the first Amazon. With a sigh she gestured for one of her husbands to shut the door behind them, and then walked over to a chair, plopping herself in it.

“Attend me,” she ordered to the men, and without another word the two scurried to each of her feet, delicately pulling her shoes off and giving her a slow gentle massage. The queen sighed in pleasure, wiggling her toes as each man worked the massive soles with both hands. She glanced at Palledia, “my apologies,” she said dismissively, “but I’ve been traveling all day, we almost didn’t make it!” She chuckled, “I had to throw Leonidas and Basil here over my shoulders and go ahead of my caravan.”

The two prince-consorts were known in the Queendom in their own rights. Leonidas Highgrass was an odd choice for royalty, a well built and athletic man with a thin curved sword at his side. Palledia had often dismissed him as the sort who spent too much time hunting with his half sisters and forgot his place, though the man’s quick swordplay was said to have saved Eudoxia a dozen times over. Having spent some time with Clyde she had to reconsider the man, a man with a sword was worth far more than she’d thought in those old days.

The other was a shorter fellow, with red hair and a pair of spectacles that sat across an almost boyish face. Basil Highgrass was more in line with what a prince of the Queendom was expected to be, well learned, well spoken, and rumored to be quite skilled in the base magics that human mages to the north relied on in place of the goddess’s will that empowered Diana’s priestesses.

“Queen Eudoxia,” Palledia nodded, “to what do I owe the pleasure, your majesty?”

“I just wanted to come see you before the ceremonies,” The queen smiled, “I must admit, I never expected to see you again… Yet here you are, bringing back the scion of one of the Queendom’s most prestigious families, and serving as her steward no less?”

“I got tired of wallowing in sadness and waiting to die,” Palledia replied, turning back to the mirror and adjusting her hair. “What is it to you, your majesty?”

“I must admit I worried at first that this was some political scheme,” Eudoxia muttered, playfully tapping one of her husband’s face with her big toe, “that you were trying to worm your way back into my good graces.”

Palledia couldn’t help but snort, “Your majesty I haven’t thought about you in years. No offense, but politics has been far from my mind.”

“None taken,” Eudoxia said with a smile. “I came to the conclusion after talking to a few people, the new Lady Ironshield in particular speaks quite highly of you… as did Dirk Sommer and Cora Spearwall, which I must admit, surprised me. There’s also an Imperial delegation here to show respect, a general by the name of Rathburn said he couldn’t wait to discuss war stories with you again?”

Palledia felt her heart do the strangest flutter, “Bartholomew is here?” she asked.

Eudoxia stared at her a moment, then chuckled, “You really are different from the woman I remember, for the better I think.”

The older Amazon couldn’t help but frown at that, “I was one of your strongest supporters, your majesty.”

“I know,” Eudoxia chuckled, “that’s why you got sentenced to military service instead of executed, and looking at you now I can’t help but think that it was the right decision.”

“I’m sure that caused some controversy for you,” Palledia said, “I’m sorry about that.”

The queen just laughed, “After marrying both of my lovely suitors here, I don’t think there was any controversy I could cause that would turn heads.” She glanced down to the two men, sighing as she pulled her feet away from them. “All right, we’d best go find our seats.”

“I’ve arranged everything Eudoxia,” Basil said curtly.

“The estate is secure,” Leonidas nodded, “your best women are on duty.”

“I almost wish another gaggle of lizards would try to storm the place,” Eudoxia muttered, “Goddess knows I haven’t had a good fight in years…” She grinned down at the two men, “I’ll have to tire myself out some other way after the ceremony.”

Palledia smirked, “Eudoxia, if you knew half the rumors that used to spread in court about you and your men-“

“Rumors?” Eudoxia paused a moment, laughing, “What, that I take them both to bed at once?”

“She does that,” Leonidas said with a flat face.

“It’s no rumor,” Basil confirmed with a small smile.

Palledia blinked, “Well… That’s wonderful your majesty,” she said uncertainly.

Eudoxia just laughed at her reaction, following her two husbands out towards the reception hall.

Palledia felt the eyes on her as she took Annie’s arm, walking the blushing girl down the aisle to where Clyde waited, a splendid white Queendom men’s robe on him. She passed Dirk, Cora, and Cynthia, who all sat together as the delegation from Rain’s End. Other nobles she knew gave her various looks of approval, or disgust, but she found increasingly that she didn’t care, the only thing that mattered was that Annie was over the moon with joy to have her at her side. As they reached the altar Annie separated from her, and Palledia went to join Svetlana and Amaya at her side as bridesmaids.

The priestess, an aged woman named Arabella who had served Annie’s mother, smiled and began the ceremony.

“We are gathered here today, in the eyes of the goddess…”

In the aftermath of the ceremony the crowds had enjoyed a large reception and banquet, a far more lively and thankfully peaceful one than the last in the Ironshield halls.

Svetlana found herself at the open bar, greedily gulping down another expensive cocktail made with the finest of Ironshield rum. With a giggle she wiped her mouth, swiveling around in the high topped human sized chair that let the smaller guests, mostly humans, sit level with the Amazons.

Now to find someone to have some fun with, she thought, leaping down from the high seat with a grunt.

“S-Svetlana?” a familiar voice called.

She froze, slowly turning towards the source, “Arturus?” she breathed.

The diplomat she’d nearly crushed to death in her cleavage was older now, but just as handsome as he’d ever been, the handful of grey hairs only making him look distinguished. Like her had a drink in hand, and he walked towards her eagerly, a smile on his face.

“I’m with the Imperial delegation!” he exclaimed, “I couldn’t believe it when I heard you were friends with this new Ironshield girl, it’s fate!”

“F-Fate, right,” Svetlana stammered, “Listen, I’m so sorry about everything that happened…” she gestured to her deep cleavage, “in here.”

“Don’t be,” Arturus growled. Svetlana could smell a hint of rum on his breath, and from the slight flush in his cheeks he’d also been taking advantage of the wedding’s open bar.

Svetlana giggled, blushing herself, “You got me into shrinking humans you know.”

“Regardless of how it ended, our one night together has lived on in my memory,” Arturus retorted, “Let’s do it again, for old time’s sake!”

“I don’t know,” Svetlana said, biting her lip, “If we have another accident we could start a war…”

“A risk I’m willing to take!” Arturus said eagerly.

Svetlana giggled, and with a flick of her wrist the diplomat was gone, reduced to a mere inch tall before her. She casually glanced around, the other guests were consumed with their own drinks and conversations, and no one saw her pinch the crumb sized man between her fingers and lift him up to the hem of her cleavage.

“Gods they’ve gotten bigger with the years,” Arturus murmured as he looked down at the purple canyon.

Svetlana’s finger gently pushed him deep between her breasts, the sea of warm flesh jiggling as she stifled a giggle from the tickle his squirming motions caused.

“Svetlana!” Palledia called, walking over to her with a grin, “Come, Clyde’s proposing a toast!”

“In a minute,” she said, poking her finger down and submerging the man further, “I was just catching up with someone!”

“So how do you feel, Lord Ironshield? ” Annie giggled, carrying Clyde up the stairs to her master bedroom.

“Like a blessed man,” Clyde said dreamily. “I never thought I’d end up taking your name…”

Annie shrugged as she shouldered the door open, “If we’d gotten married in the Empire I’d have taken yours, Clyde Ironshield. ” She seemed to relish saying it, biting her lip as she carried her white-robed husband over the threshold.

He grunted as she tossed him onto the bed, eagerly disrobing herself. He watched eagerly as more of her skin was revealed, even after so many times the sight of Annie’s long toned legs still lit the fires of his lust, and he licked his lips eagerly as she clambered on the bed, her statuesque naked form looming over him like the goddess herself.

“L-Let me get this off,” he stammered.

“No,” Annie growled with a grin, “Leave it on, it makes you look so sexy and… innocent. ” Clyde gulped, watching as Annie’s hands went low, slowly undoing the sash on his white wedding robes. “A few of the other Amazons told me about an interesting feature of men’s wedding robes,” she said in a low voice. She reached down to the pearly white undergarments, undoing a few laces and letting the cloth fall away, exposing his manhood but otherwise leaving him dressed in his wedding finery. “Perfect,” she growled.

She lowered herself onto him, bearing down like a thunderbolt out of a stormcloud, striking Clyde with enough force to make him gasp. HE would have sat up reflexively, but a powerful hand that covered half his torso forced him back down. With a lustful laugh Annie rolled her hips against his, keeping the rhythm fast and powerful so he couldn’t gather his thoughts or resist her.

“Oh gods,” he groaned, gritting his teeth and leaning back. It was like fighting a hurricane, each thrust of her hips battering against him one after the other and never letting him recover from each wave of bliss that rocked against the shores of his mind.

“Keep it together for me,” Annie moaned, “don’t finish just yet!”

Clyde summoned all of his willpower as the amazon’s strength came to bear on him. The striking blows of her lovemaking were each more pleasurable than the last, and his fists gripped the sheets of the massive Amazon sized bed a mewling groan escaped his lips.

I don’t know whether I want you to break or last, Annie thought, laughing as she rode him even harder, rocking the solid bedposts and causing the mattress springs to sing a song with their creaking that would no doubt be heard throughout the castle.

“Shout my name!” Annie ordered.

“A-An-“ Clyde tried, his thoughts scattering.

“SAY IT!” Annie grunted, shuddering as her climax hit like a train, seizing her up over him.

“ANNIE!” Clyde shouted, bucking his hips feebly against the massive woman.

General Bartholomew Rathburn swirled his drink, staring at the stars as he sat on Palledia’s lap. The pair had retreated from the dying party to a vast veranda on the edge of the old castle, leaving whatever was left of the revelry to the young.

“It’s good to see you again,” Palledia smirked, running her fingers through his beard, “How’s the hip?”

“Strong as iron,” the general replied. “You know I brought Sir Clyde Orrick’s discharge papers,” he mused, patting his pocket as he leaned against the amazon. “Our government thinks he’ll do more good for us as the husband to a powerful noblewoman than as a cavalry officer.” He looked up at Palledia, “I’m still not sure if he’ll want to stay though…”

“ANNIE!” Clyde’s pleasured shout echoed down from the castle keep, audible all through the grounds.

Palledia and General Rathburn looked at one another a moment, then burst into laughter.

“I think Clyde has taken a liking to Amazon country,” Palledia said, panting as their mirth finally left.

“I can’t say I don’t sympathize,” the general sighed, “Gods, I wish to have met you twenty years ago…”

“Don’t get hung up on regrets General,” Palledia said with a smile, “We’ll have tonight.”

The pair stared up at the stars together, thinking on the future.

“Are you ready?” Svetlana panted, laying back on her bed and holding the tiny human before her wet and waiting pussy, glistening with arousal and ready to swallow him up.

“Absolutely,” he nodded, grinning.

Svetlana groaned as she pressed him inside herself, the motion of his tiny body against her inner folds sending shivers up her spine.

No crunch this time! She thought smugly as she forced him further in. She’d cast every spell she knew on him to prevent physical trauma.

In the dark nether regions of the elf Arturs began to squirm, causing her to roll over on the bed, crossing her legs and her eyes as she squealed in pleasure. The motion became more frenzied, and Svetlana gasped, nearly falling off the bed from the flurried hummingbird sensation between her legs.

“Oh wow,” she breathed, panting as her muscles went lax, “that was… amazing.” She grinned and looked down at her slit, “You did a great job Arturus!” There was no reply, and she frowned, “A-Arturus!?”

“YOU DROWNED THE IMPERIAL DIPLOMAT IN YOUR CUNT!?” Palledia roared, fighting the urge to strangle the elf.

“I managed to resuscitate him!” Svetlana protested weakly.

“I’m fine,” Arturus said, chuckling and hugging the elf close.

The group was waiting outside the estate, the Imperial delegation, along with several others, were preparing to leave. The imperial horses and carriages looked positively small before those of the Amazon nobility

“Can you two share a bed without causing a diplomatic incident!?” Palledia growled angrily.

“Relax Palledia,” General Rathburn said, limping with a crutch up to them, “We’ll leave it out of the report.”

“And what happened to him?” Svetlana asked smugly.

“Fell down the stairs,” Palledia and the general said at the same time.

“Hmm… those steep Amazon staircases,” the elf giggled, winking at a blushing Palledia, “we really should carve out some man sized ones.”

“Ah, Palledia, is my carriage ready?” Eudoxia called, walking towards the group with her husbands limp over her shoulders and a group of four amazon guards about her.

“It’s being pulled up next,” Palledia said with a frown, “Are the prince consorts… okay?”

“Oh them?” Eudoxia chuckled, jostling the pair of sleeping men, “They had a long night, weddings always get me so excited. Our royal wheelhouse has a mattress for them.”

“Good to hear,” Palledia said with a polite nod.

Clyde sighed, looking up at his recruits, each of them twice his own height, “Right,” he began, drawing his wooden practice blade, “the key to swordsmanship is-“

“Excuse me,” one of then snarled, “are we really going to let a man teach us swordplay?”

Clyde scowled and flourished the weapon, “Hit me girl, and I’ll turn the instruction over to you!”

The Amazon chuckled and walked forward, swiping downward with a strong, but slow and clumsy stroke. Clyde simply stepped out of the way, the next blow was more serious, and he angled his wooden sword, grunting with exertion as he forced the ten foot woman downward and into the dirt. With his hand behind his back he darted forward, slapping the girl hard across the cheek.

“If that was a mannish or lizard foe you’d be dead,” he snapped.

The girl glowered at him, rubbing her bruised cheek, but she slowly stood up, “Fine then,” she grumbled.

Clyde smiled, “As I was saying, the key to swordsmanship is…”

Annie stood at the top of her keep, watching the sun set over her sugar plantation. Palledia came to her side, her new eyepatch with the Ironshield emblem on it catching the pink twilight.

“Worried about things?” Palledia asked, leaning over the stonework watching the daylight fade. “I know I was when I inherited my fief…”

“No,” Annie said with a smile. “Whatever comes I’ll have my husband, the bravest knight I’ve ever known, my court mage, a great elven sorceress, and my steward…” She turned to Palledia, “A true Amazon.”

The pair embraced as the last of the light dipped below the horizon.

The End

Chapter End Notes:

Welp here we are again at the end of another one. Special thanks to our commissioner who wanted to see this tale realized, bringing us back once again to Amazon Country. This is a tale of redemption and growth, it was strange coming back to these characters at such different points in their lives, but I think it worked well. If anyone is interested Amaya's revolver with the underbarrel shotgun was based on the LeMat revolver, commonly meant as a cavalry piece, though Amaya's is scaled up for an Amazon's hand. I hope to see you next time we visit the Queendom!