- Text Size +

Annie giggled as Clyde’s thumbs slid deftly across her soles, “You’re getting good at foot massages,” she purred, folding her arms under her head as she watched the clouds drift by.

“I like seeing the look on your face when I do it,” he replied, pressing firmly just under the immense toes, causing her to moan with delight. “Besides, it’s the least I can do since you’re carrying almost all of my things for me.”

Annie just hummed in agreement, enjoying the warm sun on her face. Palledia had stopped them for an hour or so to rest, and the two young lovers had slunk away from the Elf and the older Amazon to “practice swordplay,” though both of their weapons lay against a nearby tree.

“I think I’ll have you give me foot massages every night,” Annie mused, “I’ll be very busy running my new fief.”

Clyde’s brow furrowed, “Have you given that much thought?”

Annie sat up, raising an eyebrow, “Well, you’re a noble, right? I figured between you and Palledia you could tell me what I’m supposed to do.”

“I was knighted ,” Clyde chuckled, “I was born in a barn the same as everyone else back home.”

Annie chewed her lip, “B-But you always seemed so sophisticated, and you told me about all of those fancy dinners you went to in the capitol!”

“Why yes, I’ve accompanied many officers to important functions!” he said hastily, “I didn’t exactly dine at the main table, but rest assured my manners were noted!”

“If you’re not going to help me run things, maybe you can be my official foot masseuse?” She giggled. The torso sized foot lifted up out of his lap a moment, pinching his nose and giving him a good whiff of the crisp sheen of sweat she’d worked up during their travels.

“Annie!” He protested, but then he grunted as she scooted forward, pressing her massive foot against his chest and driving him down into the soft green grass. He grunted as she flexed her calf, giggling as she pinned him. He tensed, trying to rise, but she easily kept him in place.

“I think you should give my toes a kiss,” she said sweetly, “you know, to show you love your new role!”

The amazon slid forward slightly, sliding her foot upwards over him until her toes were scrunching playfully over his face. He grimaced, the dirt and sweat of the road was thick on them, but at the same time he found himself growing hard, undeniably attracted to the sheer display of power.

“Uh oh, what’s this?” Annie teased, running a finger over the tent in his pants. “Could it be that brave Sir Orrick likes the smell of defeat?” He gasped as she gripped his manhood through his pants, sliding her hand over it in a loose grip that sent a shiver up his spine. Annie bit her lip, slowly, deliberately, bringing her foot down on his face. “I do believe I ordered you to kiss those?”

Clyde leaned up slightly, kissing the bottom of her big toe as she began to undo his belt. The dried sweat on them was almost coarse, with a thick musky scent that clung to his hair slightly as he pulled away. He grunted with surprise as Annie pressed down on his face again, driving her feet into his face while she slowly worked his pants down.

“Wow, you really like being the official foot-boy, huh?” Annie taunted, gripping the rock hard tower of his manhood and sliding her hand up in a smooth motion that made him squirm. “Keep kissing my feet, and I’ll keep going,” she said with a sweet smile.

Clyde didn’t need any further instruction, and with a gusto he grabbed the sides of her foot, nearly as wide as his torso, and planted kiss after kiss the pungent digits.

“Good boy,” Annie said, biting her lip as she increased her speed. Clyde began to quake as she kept playing with him, and with a giggle she pressed down harder on his chest with the ball of her foot, sliding her hand up and down faster and faster with each successive kiss.

The knight pinned below her soles was rapidly realizing he was helpless, both against Annie physically, and against his own desires to let her ravage him, make him her toy, her plaything. As his orgasm built he pulled her foot closer, giving her toes one final kiss as he began to spurt his seed across the Amazon’s massive hand.

“Beautiful,” Annie laughed, slowing her speed as the poor man below her sole roiled in the throes of pleasure, “look at you go!” It was truly an impressive show for the girl, and by the time Clyde was spent, laying panting and defeated, he’d covered her entire hand in his thick seed. Annie sighed, lifting her foot off of him and rubbing his cum off in the grass.

“T-That was…” Clyde blushed a moment, “Y-You were only joking about that official masseuse stuff, right?”

Annie leaned up, standing to her full height over the man she’d just brought to climax so easily. She put her hands on her hips as she grinned down at him with a smug expression, the wind blowing her hair slightly and making Clyde realize just how beautiful she’d become.

“I was joking about the title,” she replied, “but you will rub my feet before bed every night, and when I order it you will kiss them. Sound fair?”

Clyde blinked, reaching down and fumbling for his pants as he looked up at her in awe, “Uh… yes, of course Annie.”

She burst into laughter, holding a hand down to him, “Come on, let’s go find the others.”

“I don’t hear any sword’s clanging,” Svetlana mused, “Do you suppose that means she’s gotten so good at swordplay that she’s avoiding every blow?” the smug grin on her face as she rested under the shady tree let Palledia know just how serious the question was.

She let herself smirk, “I’m sure she’s examining his sword,” the amazon replied, “but I doubt they’re running combat drills.”

“Look at you, a joke?” Svetlana chuckled, “Excited about going back home?”

That wiped the grin right off Palledia’s face, and she scowled, going to the small well on the side of the road and drawing a bucket of water.

Svetlana frowned, “Sorry I said anything… You’re not wanted there, are you?”

“No,” Palledia sighed, “It’s just…” She regarded the elf a moment, then decided she deserved something for having come this far with them. “I did some terrible things, and whatever else I might have been once those terrible things are what I’m remembered for there… If I’m remembered at all.” She looked at her mother’s spear, twirling it through the air slightly as tilted the bucket of water, drinking out of it almost like a glass before setting it beside the well again. “I don’t know if I’d want Annie to be associated with my reputation when she comes into her inheritance,” she said finally. “I’ll probably have to leave you at the border, you can guide them the rest of the way.”

Svetlana sighed, “I can’t, and you know it. I’ve never been to the Queendom, and there are plenty of problems you can’t fireball your way out of.” She stood up and put her hands on her hips, looking up at Palledia, “If you leave that girl at the end of this, you’ll break her heart.”

“When she finds out who I really am, it’s going to break her heart regardless,” Palledia said softly.

Their conversation was interrupted by the return of their other two companions, Annie strutting proudly towards them with a smug grin on her face, a grinning Clyde following behind her like a puppy. Their hair was slightly disheveled, and while Palledia could tell it wasn’t from sword practice, she decided not to say anything.

“Would you look at that,” Clyde said, awed as the group entered the small town of Hatchville, “They’ve finally finished it!”

“What in Diana’s name is it?” Palledia asked suspiciously.

The massive device looked like a group of immense carriages hooked together, but instead of a horse or any beast of burden a black iron cylinder on wheels waited at the front, a massive cart full of coal just behind it. White steam puffed into the air as the wagons behind it were loaded with cattle, boxes of cargo, and passengers, waiting in lines and talking raucously to each other. The cries of animals and the laughter and shouts of the crowd mixed, and over it all the loud bark of a steam whistle startled Palledia, causing her to jump slightly.

“It’s The Iron Horse!” Clyde said excitedly, “the Empire’s first locomotive train! I read about it a few years ago when they started building it!”

“Is it propelled by magic?” Svetlana asked, peering at the device curiously.

Clyde chuckled, “No, it’s powered by steam pressure! It’s very advanced you see, I’m quite knowledgeable on the subject, why maybe even as much as the builders themselves! You see as steam gets heated, the primordial water spirits become angry, and-“

“Look!” Annie said excitedly, cutting him off as she pointed to a large ticket advertisement outside of the railroad office, “It goes all the way to Graston, that’s the town near the border with the Queendom, right?”

“Yes,” Palledia sighed, “Just a few days from Rain’s End…” She glanced at Clyde, “is this thing safe?”

“Well I’ve heard rumors that if it goes too fast, it can make your blood boil,” Clyde muttered, “but surely they’ve tested it a few times so they know what speed it can safely travel at?” He beamed, “Grasston is only a few days away though!”

“That is fast,” Palledia muttered, “Can you get us on it?”

Palledia shifted uncomfortably against the steel siding of the cattle car. Across from her Annie grimaced, trying to find a comfortable position.

“I’m really sorry,” Clyde said with a shrug, “When I explained to the ticket taker that I needed accommodations for two Amazons he said you wouldn’t fit in the seats, and most of the cars only have nine foot ceilings…””

“If we can really cut weeks of travel down to a few days, the cattle car is fine,” Palledia sighed.

“You’ll bring us food and water and stuff, right?” Annie asked Clyde.

“Certainly,” he nodded, “I’ll be just through that door there!” he pointed to the next car, where a door to a passenger compartment waited, “You can just knock or poke your head through, I’ll get you anything you need, and I’m sure Svetlana will-“ He turned and realized the dark elf was already walking towards the passenger door, “Svetlana?”

“Oh, yeah,” she shrugged, “I’ll be around, I’m going up to the lounge car though, they’ve got a bar, and gambling!”

“Oh goddess,” Palledia muttered, “Please try not to attract too much attention!”

“Hey, if there’s anyone suspicious on this train, they’re probably drinking and gambling right? It’s what someone of low morals would do!”

“Like you?” Palledia growled.

“Exactly!” Svetlana exclaimed, “Now Clyde, if you would be so kind as to loan me a few coins?“ Clyde chuckled and reached into his pocket, handing her a handful of small copper coins. She looked at the incredulously, then scowled, “Hey, what’s this? I won’t even be able to get a decent buzz going on a bunch of coppers!”

“Train tickets are expensive,” Clyde sighed, “they include meals at least… but when we get to Graston we’re going to need to figure out a way to make some money… My tournament winnings are spent.”

“I’ll pay you back when we get to the Queendom,” Annie said excitedly, “I’m rich, right?”

“Quite,” Palledia nodded, “your ancestral estate contains a large sugar plantation, an accompanying rum distillery, and tax revenue from several towns…” She thought a moment, “though truth be told it’s been decades since I’ve been there.”

“I suppose it’s a relief I’ll get paid back,” Clyde chuckled, “the train’s going to start moving soon… I’m going to go find a seat.” With that the knight turned to go, leaving the two amazons cramped in the cattle car, the group’s gear and weapons in a bag between them.

“Sooo,” Annie began slowly, “Palledia, I was thinking, when we get to where we’re going… I’ll have a big castle or something, right?”

“Ironshield Manor is quite grand,” Palledia replied with a smile, “It will take some getting used to, but I think you’ll find it better than sleeping in a spare room at my inn.”

“Since I’m going to have the room,” Annie said cautiously, “would you like to stay? I’d like to have a friend around I can trust, the idea of being a noble is so strange to me…”

“I’ll consider it,” Palledia lied, looking out the opened side door of the cattle, watching the beasts loaded into the train behind them.

Tebryn Darkscale watched as the mammal poured him a glass of the terrible swill the Imperials called “whiskey.” He took it politely, even indulging in a sip so as not to offend his host.

Allister Thorndale was the fattest human Tebryn had ever seen, the kind that would feed a village of his own people for a week. The massive suspenders on the man’s body dug into the doughy flesh as he lifted his glass for a drink.

“Now what can I do for my old friend Tebryn Darkscale?” he grinned, settling into his chair, which creaked under his bulk as he scooted it up to the desk. The office of the Imperial Railroad’s regional vice president was lavishly decorated, with a flattering portrait of Allister himself mounting a horse, something Tebryn was sure the man couldn’t physically do.

“I ssee that your train is headed for Grasston,” Tebryn hissed, nodding out the office window. The locomotive was nearly loaded, and the steam whistle bellowed sharply.

“A few days from here,” Allister nodded, wiping some sweat from his brow, “It’s too late to get any guns or explosives on this one I’m afraid, but if you’re looking to smuggle another few boxes of rifles and bullets back to your homeland, I can have my men ready the next one-“

“Unnecessary,” Tebryn growled, placing the glass on the table and locking his red eyes on the human, “Thiss train iss not going to reach it’ss destination.”

Allister frowned, “what do you mean?”

“Sseveral passsengers aboard it are enemiess of mine,” he said, grinning and revealing his razor sharp teeth, “I think that perhapss this train will have an accident…” He got up and stalked to the map of the railway on the wall, his claws clicking across the wooden floor. He pointed at a crossing marked over a large river canyon, “Thesse trainss of yours, they go so fasst, it would be unfortunate if ssomething were to happen to thiss bridge, it would be unable to sstop in time.”

The pudgy man paled, “B-but everyone on board will be killed!”

“That’ss the idea,” Tebryn said, grinning as he turned back to Allister. “The train iss inssured, is it not?”

“Y-Yes,” Allister stammered.

“Good, sso there is no problem?”

Allister gulped, “What do you need?”

“I will borrow ssome of your men, along with ssome of thosse wonderful gunss you humans make,” the lizard chuckled.

“A lot of people are going to die,” Allister said nervously, “this is a rather large thing to ask of me Tebryn.”

“Did you think sselling me thosse weapons killed no one?” Tebryn chuckled, “your handss are already very bloody. I will make sure to fill your palm with enough gold sso you cannot ssee the red.”

Allister wiped his brow again, but nodded, “Whatever you need is yours.”

Tebryn turned to go, taking his wide brimmed black hat from the hook on the wall as he did. Settling it on his head he reached into his pocket for a cigarette, lighting it with a magical spark and letting the smoke waft behind him as he stalked through the rail office.

It’s time to close the book on this, he thought, his red eyes gleaming.

Svetlana took a seat at the lounge car’s bar and slid a few coppers across, ordering the cheapest beer they had. She scowled as she saw that drinks on a train apparently came at a steep markup. Looking down at the handful of coins Clyde had given her, she licked her lips and looked around. There was a slot machine in the corner, along with several poker tables which some of the passengers were taking seats at as the steam whistle bellowed

I need to win some more money, she thought miserably. The slot machine was right out, so with a sigh she got up, taking the one drink she could afford and sitting at one of the green felted tables.

“Deal me,” she said, sliding her meager coins to the center.

“You haven’t got a lot to lose,” the man dealing cards said, grinning at her. He was in middle age, with a handsome face and dark black hair that, despite the grey streaks, shone brightly beneath his wide brimmed black hat. “You have a name, elf?”

“Svetlana,” she said, frowning as she picked up her cards, “yourself?”

“Tom Cat,” the stranger replied, studying his own hand, “I’ll tell you what, since you seem down on your luck, let me buy your next round.”

“My luck’s turning around already!” Svetlana beamed, “So where are you headed Mr. Cat?”

The man chuckled as he moved some coins into the center of the table. The other humans at the table scowled, folding.

“I’m heading home to the Queendom, I’ve been having a little fun and reliving my youth, but my wife and daughters are hot on my trail. I heard tell two Amazons are in the cattle car, I’m sure that’s them.”

Svetlana giggled as she sipped her drink, “Oh I wouldn’t worry about them,” whoever is after this man, it’s not Annie and Palledia, that’s for sure.

The card game went on, and Svetlana’s luck held just enough for her to keep ordering drinks while she and Tom talked. The two men who had initially been playing with them eventually bowed out, leaving the two to go back and forth with each winning and losing hand, neither making significant wins against the other.

“Damnit!” Svetlana slurred, taking another gulp of her beer as Tom scooped a pile of coins towards himself. She looked down at what she had left, it was a great deal more than what she’d started with, and what remained of her good sense told her to take what she had and walk. “I think I’m done,” she muttered, gathering up her pot.

“It was fine playing with you,” Tom chuckled with a nod, “now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll go sample some of the barkeep’s best.”

Svetlana watched him go, then with a gulp finished her drink and looked around the lounge car for more entertainment.

I could really use a nice bed right about now, she thought, sourly thinking of the harsh wooden benches Clyde had reserved for them back in the coach car. Her gaze lingered on a young man dressed in a fine white shirt and black coat who was sitting in a booth by the window, watching the scenery go by.

“Hey,” She giggled, sliding into it across from him.

The young man jumped, startled, “Oh,” he stammered, “H-Hello miss elf!”

“Name’s Svetlana,” she said with a giggle.

“J-Jason,” he stuttered.

“That’s a nice watch Jason,” Svetlana said, eyeing his timepiece, “gold and… are those diamonds?”

The man blinked, he was a shy looking type, with a boyish face and jerky motions that said he wasn’t used to talking to women, “Why yes, a gift from my father after I c-closed a rather large business deal in Camford.”

“Wow!” Svetlana gasped, “you’re in a family business? That’s so interesting! I’d love to hear more!”

The young man blushed, “It’s just a small shipping concern, imports and-“

“I love boats!” Svetlana said, “hey, do you want to go talk about it somewhere more private?”

Jason blushed, and nodded, stammering something about his private first-class cabin. Svetlana followed him with a grin.

A cute human boy AND a first class cabin? She thought with a giggle, my luck really is turning around!

They crossed several cars until they reached the relatively tranquil first class car, divided into several private rooms. Jason slid his open, revealing an elegant bed, a small writing desk, and even a personal lavatory. With a squeal Svetlana jumped on the bed, sighing as she felt the softness of the blankets.

“S-So anyways, my family owns four two-masted ships, and we sent them off to-“

“Jason,” Svetlana said with a sweet smile, “I’d love to hear all about it, but right now I’ve got a couple drinks in me, and a handsome human guy in a bedroom, so why don’t you start taking off your clothes while you tell me what your family usually imports, yeah?”

Jason’s face went beet red, “M-Mostly spices,” he began, unbuttoning his shirt, “though porcelain is valuable as well.”

“Oh fuck, a spice merchant?” Svetlana growled, “I’m going to have to get really wild to impress you, huh?”

Jason gulped, but started undoing the buttons faster.

Tom whistled to himself as he walked through the long coach rows to the cattle cars at the back of the train. When he’d left home a few months ago he’d meant to wander up through the Empire, have an adventure or two, and then head back home. When his wife Cassidy had set out after him, the whole thing had become a strange game of cat and mouse, with him always keeping just ahead of her.

Sorry Cass, Tom thought with a chuckle, but a man’s got to get into some trouble now and then… He flexed his hand, resting it on the pommel of his pistol as he walked, nodding politely to the other passengers, giving one of the women a smirk and a wink that made her blush.

If the rumors of a pair of amazons in the cattle car were true, it probably meant that Cassidy had finally caught up to him though, and idly he wondered which of their daughters she’d brought to help drag their father back home.

“All right Cass, you’ve got me,” he laughed, pushing the cattle car door open, “As soon as we get to Graston we’ll-“

Tom froze, looking at the gray haired amazon in the cattle car, who stared back at him with a similar state of shock. His hand was like lightning, quick as it ever was in his youth as he drew his pistol and cocked it in one smooth motion.

“Griselda!” he growled, drawing a bead on her, “hands in the air, now!

“Thomas!” She spat angrily, throwing herself in front of the other Amazon with a sneer, “put that gun away before you hurt someone!”

“Indeed,” Clyde’s voice growled from behind him. Tom felt steel against his throat as the knight held a knife to it, “It would be best to lower that firearm sir.”

“Do you have any idea who that is?” Tom snarled, never wavering his gun hand.

“Thomas,” Palledia warned, “ don’t.

The sound of gunfire and the screams of horses drew their attention. Clyde held his blade steady on Tom as they all glanced out the cattle car side door, seeing dozens of horsemen approaching the train, pistols firing in the air as they shouted battle cries. Many were men, but a good number were lizardfolk, hissing triumphantly as they leveled their own guns at the train.

“You’re robbing the train!” Palledia and Tom shouted at the same time, pointing to one another. “ME!?” the both echoed.

“I see what this is!” Tom shouted over the din, “You’ve teamed up with the Lizards and now you’re headed back to get Dirk and Cora! Only you figured you’d take out old Tom on the way, is that it?” He spat, “You’re never getting Rain’s End back Griselda!”

“Spare me your wild ravings,” she retorted, “you were always a two bit troublemaker and cattle rustler hiding behind a pretty face! No doubt the Lizardfolk came to you and struck a deal for our heads, and what better way to settle an old score?”

“I haven’t rustled cattle in over twenty years!” Tom shouted, “What about you? Stolen any gold mines lately!?”

“Enough! Both of you!” Annie shouted, forcing her way past Palledia, nearly bumping her head on the steel ceiling. “You,” she pointed at Tom, “are you with the lizards?”

“Please, I’ve killed almost as many of them as she has,” Tom said, nodding at Palledia.

“Let him go,” Annie said, nodding at Clyde.

“Annie, he can’t be trusted!” Palledia protested.

“You keep going on and on about how I’m going to be some kind of important noble someday, right?” Annie asked, “well I’m making a decision, Clyde, let him go!”

For his part the knight didn’t hesitate, releasing Tom with a nod and running to their parcels, sliding into his steel cuirass and strapping sword and carbine to his belt. Tom glanced at Annie a minute, then scowled, holstering his gun.

“Looks like we’re on the same side against a bunch of hissing freaks again,” Tom said to Palledia, a small smile coming over his features, “just like old times, huh?”

Tebryn galloped his horse to the train’s boiler, deftly leaping from the saddle to the engineer’s compartment. The man gasped, raising the coal shovel and swinging it at him, but Tebryn caught it easily, muttering a spell under his breath that sent a bolt of lightning into the man, causing him to fall backwards with a shrill scream.

“What a curiouss device,” he muttered, looking at the roaring fire within the engine. With a chuckle he began a long and forbidden chant, holding his hands high. Thunder boomed out of a clear blue sky, and a moment later the orange coal fire turned a ghastly shade of green.

“WHY HAVE I BEEN CALLED?” the demon bellowed.

“I place you in thiss vesssel,” Tebryn hissed, slashing his own palm with his claw and sprinkling the blood over the flame, “bring death and desstruction! Heed my cry and bring ruin!”

The demon laughed maniacally as it possessed the locomotive engine, the smoke taking on a sinister black look as it roiled with the newfound Hellfire that burned within.

In the cattlecar the two amazons and the two men felt the train lurch as it picked up speed.

“What the hell?” Tom muttered, peering outside and watching the rolling green fields begin to speed by faster.

“Do you suppose the conductor is trying to outrun the bandits?” Clyde asked, checking his carbine as the two headed for the passenger compartment doors.

The steam whistle bellowed, the familiar shriek replaced by a long and wicked sound, discordant and sinister that sent a chill up all of their spines.

“I think something may have happened to the conductor,” Palledia growled. “That black scaled lizard is here, and I’d bet anything that he’s at the front of this train.”

“Black scaled lizard?” Tom asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Long story,” Annie said, “he’s not a nice guy.”

“Not too many of them are,” Tom shrugged, “You girls hang back, you’re too big to fight in the passenger cars.”

“I think not,” Palledia said, looking up at the small gap between the cattle and coach cars. With a grunt she hauled herself up, climbing atop the train. A moment later she held a hand down for Annie, who took it with a grin as the older Amazon hauled her skyward next. “We’ll meet you at the front!” Palledia shouted over the wind.

In the first class cabin Svetlana stirred from her nap, groaning as the sounds of shouting and gunfire disturbed her pleasant slumber. She looked around groggily for Jason, then felt something squirming in her still damp panties. With a sigh she reached down, fishing the tiny human out, laying him on the pillow next to her. With a snap of her fingers he was back to his full size, covered in her sweet and glistening juices.

“I-I think I’m in love,” Jason stammered, looking at her longingly as she got up.

“Oh hush,” Svetlana giggled, slowly putting her robe back on.

“Will you stay?” he asked, crawling to the edge of the bed eagerly.

Another round of gunfire rang out, and the cabin’s small window rattled in its frame as an explosion echoed from somewhere. Svetlana sighed and looked at him sweetly.

“I think I’ve got to go, sorry.”

“P-Please, I’m so bad with girls, you’re the first I’ve ever-“

“Hush,” she repeated, putting a finger to his lips, “Jason, you’re rich, you’re cute, and you were great in bed at big and tiny size, any girl would be lucky to have you.” He gave her a pouty look, but nodded as she walked towards the door. She paused a moment, “Hey, you might want to lock this after I leave, I feel like things might get rough,” she said with a wink.

With that she closed the door, walking out of his life. Jason sighed, sullenly walking over to lock it.

Tom and Clyde stormed their way through the coach car, to their credit some of the passengers had retrieved their own guns, crossbows, and in the case of one angry looking elf a bow, firing out the windows and taking cover as the attackers strafed the cabins with gunfire. There was a burst of smoke and shouts as the door at the far end of the car burst open, and Tom raised his pistol, firing at the first of the hissing lizardmen with a sharp *crack* that caused the beast to sprawl across the floor.

“Nice shot!” Clyde grinned, storming forward with his blade in hand, parrying the curved sword of the next attacker.

“If you hang around with Amazons long enough this kind of thing tends to happen,” Tom joked, readying a new percussion cap and bullet. “So kid, how’d you end with two of them anyway?”

“Annie is my beloved,” He grunted as he shoved the lizard back, slashing across its chest and earning an angered shriek.

“And Griselda? What’s a guy like you doing with a witch like that?”

Clyde growled as they stormed the lounge car, “Palledia doesn’t have good humor, but she’s been nothing but brave and true since I’ve known her!”

“Her bravery I’ve never found issue with,” Tom muttered, kicking over a poker table and taking cover behind it as a corner exploded into flames.

The lizard mage at the far end grinned wickedly, chanting as fireballs circled his head. Clyde unslung his carbine, letting off a new shot that took the mage in the shoulder. Another crack of Tom’s gun put the spellcaster down permanently.

“Gods preserve us!” The barkeep shouted, coming up with a shaking shotgun in his hands, “What in Typhon’s name is happening?”

“Just a train robbery,” Clyde said with a grin, “Rest assured everything’s going to be okay! There’s an Imperial military post just past the Silver Bridge!” He pointed out the window.

The Silver Bridge was an architectural marvel, with dwarven forged beams and the finest craftsmen that humans, goblins, and a dozen beastfolk races could find, the Empire had spanned the great grass gorge with a sterling bridge that caught the light and could be seen for miles away. So magnificent was the structure that the railway curved on approach to it, giving passengers on the railways a magnificent view before ultimately passing over it.

“Once we get over the gorge, the cavalry will come to our rescue,” Clyde said confidently.

A boom rattled the train’s windows, and Tom, Clyde, and the barkeep watched, mouths open in shock, as the massive shining structure collapsed in on itself, glittering in the light as it tumbled into the gorge below.

“On second thought… we should get to the front of the train,” Clyde said nervously.

As if in response to his words the daemonic steam whistle cried out again, causing the train to pick up speed as the unholy forces possessing the engine carried it ever faster.

The wind billowed Palledia’s grey hair around her face and stung her remaining eye as the train sped towards the now destroyed bridge. A group of men had clambered on top of the engine too, readying guns and swords as she and Annie leapt over the cars.

I’m so nimble, Annie thought, awed as they easily closed the distance on their foes. With a battle cry she followed Palledia into battle, her sword coming down and easily bringing her first foe to his knees as he tried to parry her with a curved cavalry saber. With a shout of surprise, he fell over the side, tumbling through the grass as the train steamed by. Palledia’s spear was like lightning, cutting down anyone who stood in her path as the two advanced.

The next man leveled a flintlock pistol at her, and there was a crack as Annie felt a sharp searing pain in her leg. She grunted slightly as she staggered, but as she ran her hand over the bleeding wound, she realized that it wasn’t deep, or even slowing her down much.

I’m… bulletproof? She thought excitedly.

“Annie, watch yourself!” Palledia shouted as the man hastily reloaded his weapon, “a gunshot in the right place will still kill you!”

Annie didn’t need to be told twice, bounding forward and snatching the weapon from his hands, “bye!” she said with a grin, tossing both it and then the man himself over the side.

“I’ll feasst on your flessh!” the pair saw a quartet of lizards guarding the coal car, curved swords and Imperial pistols in hand.

Annie shouted in surprise as Palledia leapt in front of her, shielding her one good eye with her arm as she braced for the volley of gunfire.

Instead there was a crack of lightning, roasting the four lizards and causing them to fall over twitching and thoroughly cooked. A purple face peeked over the top of the car as Svetlana waved to them.

“What did I miss?” She called with a grin.

“Heads up!” Tom called, firing his pistol at another row of approaching horsemen, “They’ve got more friends!”

“We can’t get over the coal car!” Clyde called, joining Svetlana as he climbed upwards, readying his carbine to help tom with their approaching attackers.

Palledia scowled, the coal car was the last one before the engine, with no ladders or easy grips the smaller trio had no easy access. She started to formulate a plan, but her thought was cut off as Annie charged past her, sword in hand.

“For Diana!” Annie said with an eager grin, leaping onto the coal car.

“Wait!” Palledia called desperately.

Tebryn glanced up as he saw Annie tumbling over the piled coal, leaping down into the engine triumphantly and with sword in hand. He grinned, tilting his broad black hat upward and letting her see his blood red eyes as the demonic engine screamed obscenities in millennia dead languages behind him.

“Annibelle Ironshield,” he hissed, “I’m sso glad you came to ssee me yoursself… but let uss have our ssatisfaction alone.” He waved a hand, and the coal car behind Annie burst into enchanted blue flame, rising high and preventing Palledia from leaping after her.

“Die!” Annie shouted, raising her sword high.

“You’ve inherited your motherss wit,” Tebryn taunted, raising a claw. Annie’s steel blade came down on a flaming blade that seemed to appear from nowhere, sparking as it met the earthly sword.

Annie brought blows down on the lizard like rain, only getting mocking hissing laughter in return as he blocked each strike with impossible speed. Annie dodged his first return strike, her eyes going wide with fear as he pressed her back against the steel of the conductor’s cabin.

“Y-You can’t possibly think you can take on an Amazon in swordplay!” Annie said, her voice filled with more confidence than she felt.

Tebryn just laughed, holding his flaming sword towards her, “Do you have any idea how many Amazonss I have killed!? Your mother wass my favorite though… I had hoped to relive my duel with her, but I must admit I am disssappointed!”

Annie’s eyes went wide as the black scaled lizard leapt at her.

Chapter End Notes:

An almost literal cliffhanger ending! See you all real soon!