- Text Size +

The aromas of her cooking billowed out into the cold night, filling their nostrils and causing their stomachs to rumble hungrily. 

 

"Hello," the woman said warmly. "Are you lost?" 

 

They all nodded silently. 

 

"Well, you would be welcome to come in, warm up next to the fire… I've even got some stew which is nearly ready which you can have. Luckily for you I think I've got enough."

 

Neil smiled in return. 

 

"Thank you," he stepped in without further hesitation. The others did too, apart from Michelle who looked around anxiously, then saw no better option and entered the cottage. 

 

The lady smiled at her, watching her walk past and then shut the door behind them. She bolted the door shut again behind them all. 

 

"I keep it locked, you never know who is about in woods at night," she chuckled sweetly, and gestured for them all to sit around the fireplace on the large pile matt. 

 

She was dressed in a very old-fashioned gown, that stretched to her ankles. She had relatively long and well-manicured nails. 

 

A large black cauldron was boiling over the fire in the fireplace. 

 

"Wow, an actual cauldron. I didn't know people still used these," Kat commented, taking off her boots and hanging her socks up to dry. 

 

"It’s very good for stews… and the like," the lady commented. She sprinkled some herbs or spices into the cauldron and then sat down in a tall backed chair. 

 

They all turned themselves to see her. Noticing there was no TV or similar appliances in the cottage. 

 

"Do you live here alone?" Tanya asked. 

 

"Mostly," the woman nodded. "The wildlife in this wood keep me entertained and well informed," she replied. "I have the occasional visitor from a dear friend of mine."

 

The light of the fire flickered across her face, as she looked down upon them. 

 

"Feel free to take off your coats and jumpers. Make yourself comfortable. The stew will take a bit longer."

 

They did as they were advised and settled back on the mat. 

 

"Good… perhaps we can start with some introductions. What are your names?"

 

"I'm Tanya. This is Kat, Michelle, Neil, Rich and Peter," Tanya volunteered their names, pointing at each of them. "We are friends from College," she added. 

 

"Ahh, I see, pleasure to meet you all… well I am Embermesrelda… but, in the spirit of you shortening your names for me, you can call me Ember…"

 

"Good to meet you," they all murmured politely. 

 

"What are you doing in the woods at such an hour?" Ember asked them. 

 

"We got lost," Tanya started. 

 

"We didn't get…"

 

"We got lost," Tanya interrupted Neil's intervention. "We are out on a charity two-day hike… our friend Neil thought he had found a great shortcut…" Neil huffed. 

 

Ember smiled. 

 

"Sometimes the shortest path is a straight line," she commented. 

 

Neil nodded, agreeing with her. 

 

"But then again sometimes it isn't, it very much depends on the terrain in between," she concluded. Neil's mood soured again.

 

"In fact, I recall a story about that," she continued. "If you would like to hear it?"

 

They all nodded. 

 

"Here goes," Ember started. They looked interested to know what was next. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Check out my site for more of this story and others like it, or to show me your support. I welcome your feedback:
https://subscribestar.adult/richardchdavies - note you can join this any time of the month and get a full month subscription