- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Set up time!!!

Chapter 1: Field Trip

 

     Taking the day off work, you find yourself relaxing on the couch watching whatever garbage TV is on in the midafternoon. You’re a single dad with one daughter who should be on her way home from school right about now. Her name is Emmy, and she is your world. She’s 8 years old, finishing 3rd grade and you couldn’t be any more proud of her. She’s lived most of her life without a mom and doesn’t really know what it’s like to have one, so you do your best to give her all she needs. Sometimes the kids at school make fun of her for not having a mom but she is never fazed by the banter.  As you think about how grown up your little girl is, you hear the door swing open and closed, prompting you to look over your shoulder to see Emmy rush into the room. Her blonde hair is tied back into a ponytail, her favorite style, and she is wearing a green shirt with a pink skirt. She drops her backpack and dives onto your lap over the couch’s armrest.

     “Daddy I’m home!!” she exclaims.

     “Haha I see that! C’mere” you say as you lift her up from the prone position and place her on your lap. “How was your day sweetie?”

     “Nothing tooooo crazy happened today, pretty boring. Mrs. Johnson gave us something though!” She hops off your lap and grabs her discarded backpack, reaching in for a specific item. Pulling out a piece of paper she explains, “Our final field trip of the year is next week! We’re going to a candy factory. The teacher said they were going to hand out a new secret candy!! You need to sign this paper.” Emmy has a huge smile on her face. Being so young, she is missing a few baby teeth, the adult ones not having grown in yet.

     “Oh is that so?” you ask as you receive the permission slip. Reading over it, you see it’s the usual jargon of this and that but notice at the end they are asking for parent chaperones. Figuring you can take the day off again; you immediately know you want to spend the last field trip of 3rd grade with Emmy.

     “Emmy, how would you like daddy to join you on this trip?”

     “Really??!!” She begins jumping up and down in excitement. “That would be the bestest thing ever!!” She jumps on your lap again and gives you the biggest hug. “I love you daddy!!”

     “I love you too sweetie. Now calm down a minute and let daddy sign this paper for your teacher ok?”

     “Ok!!!” She lets go of you and leans on your shoulder as you sign the paper. She begins humming to herself while smiling.

     You two spend the rest of the day talking about what kind of candy the factory may be introducing, how her day really went, and what she wants to do over the coming summer vacation. Following dinner and endless conversation, you decide it was time for her to go to bed and see her off. You give her a goodnight kiss on the forehead.

     “Daddy?” She says as you’re leaving the room.

     “Yes Emmy?”

     “I can’t wait for next week” She giggles and hides her face under the blanket.

     “It’ll be here before you know it sweetie. Get some rest, have a good night, daddy loves you” You turn the lights off and begin closing the door.

     “Ok daddy goodnight! I love you too.” you hear from under her blanket.

 

(Next Week)

 

     “Emmy!! It’s time to go!” You yell down the hallway, grabbing the car keys.

     “Coming!!” Emmy replies as she rushes out of her room. It was going to be a little hotter today and Emmy was ready for it. Her hair in a ponytail as usual, she was wearing a loose sky-blue shirt with short blue jean shorts. Her shoes reached just under her ankles, letting them breathe a little bit as well. Being a field trip day, there was no need for her to bring her backpack. She ran up to you and gave you another big hug. “Today’s going to be so much fun! I had a smaller breakfast so I could save room for all the candy! Hehe!!”

     “Emmy… you know that’s not good for you right?” You pat her head as she looks up smiling.

     “I know I know. But today’s special right? A special day need special rules. And special rule number one is saving room for tasty candy.” she says triumphantly.

     “Ok ok you got me there. But promise me you’ll have a good dinner tonight to make up for it? Ok?”

     “I promise daddy! Now let’s go we don’t want to be late!” She lets go of you and rushes over to the car. You can’t help but smile as you see your daughter so happy. You would do anything to protect that smile. The school was not too far away but to Emmy the ride felt like forever. You see her bouncing up and down in the back seat in anticipation for the day to come. Upon arriving at the school, you see the line of school buses in front, ready to take the few classes going to their destination. A large group of kids being lining up in front of the bus doors as you must say farewell to Emmy for the ride. Chaperones are to sit at the front of the bus on each one. Luckily, you are placed on Emmy’s bus, so she isn’t separated from you.

     Looking back on the bus, you notice most of her class is made up of girls, the few boys that are on here decided to sit together in the back, probably to avoid girl cooties or something like that. There is one other chaperone on the bus, who also has a daughter in this class. You talk with them on the ride over, realizing neither of your girls really talk much and would maybe like to introduce them to each other at some point.

     You reach the candy factory, and everyone gets off the buses. You pull out the roster of those you are responsible for, which by accident or design, includes Emmy. Not afraid to let it be known you are her father; she rushes up to you again and immediately latches onto your hand. You notice some of the girls talking among their cliques, but again Emmy remains unfazed.

     The groups all move in the factory’s main hall. A tall, slender man emerges from the room ahead. He looks to be in his mid-40s and is wearing fairly casual attire.

     “Welcome, welcome one and all to my factory! My name is Mr. Smith, and I am the current owner of this magical place. There is much to see, and much to do, but alas please do relax. We shall see and do it all in due time children. Now some of you may have heard some rumors, and all I shall say of the matter at this point is there may be a surprise waiting for you all at the end of your magical journey. Now then, please follow me this way o special guests.” With that, Mr. Smith walked to the side of the room and opened a new set of doors, leading to a stretch of hallway.

     The groups all moved through the doors, one after another, led by Mr. Smith. Your group was the last one through the doors. You notice an emotionless employee closing the doors behind you, moving to follow you as your group moves along. It’s a little hard to hear Mr. Smith this far back but you look in awe with Emmy as the wall was glass. On the other side of the glass you could see the machines making the candy everyone knows and loves.

      “Daddy, daddy look! Its my favorite chocolate bar!!” Emmy tugs on your arm as she points at the wall.

      “I see that sweetie! It’s really cool!!” You kneel down next to her as she stares in awe. You notice some drool begin to roll down from her bottom lip. “Emmy careful!” You grab a tissue from your bag and wipe her chin with it.

     “Sorry daddy, I guess I’m more hungry than I thought! Hehe..” She says as she licks the rest of her spit with her tongue and goes back to staring at the candy. You can hear her stomach start to grumble as you begin to stand back up. As you do, you feel a tap on your shoulder. The strange employee that was behind you is motioning you to come back to the doors you entered by. Concerned by what they may want, you turn to tell Emmy you will be right back.

      “Emmy, daddy will be right back ok? I’m going to go see what the nice man wants.”

     “Awww ok daddy. I’ll miss you though.”

     “Me too sweetie, just be a good girl and go with the other chaperone of the group for now. Daddy will be back.”

      “Yes daddy! I’ll be a good girl. I have to get that new candy after all!” She said with a smile still on her face. She hugs you one more time and runs back to be with the rest of the group again.

      You turn and walk toward the mysterious employee. They continue to say nothing as they lead you across the main entrance room and through a new set of unmarked doors. They motion you to enter first, still saying nothing. You ask them what this is all about as you enter the room, but before you can finish the sentence, the employee slams the door shut and you hear it lock. You panic and begin trying to get the door open. Nothing is budging it as you pound on the door screaming for help. Only silence responds from the other side.

      Turning around, you notice the room you find yourself in is empty. The only uniqueness to the room are some nozzles sticking out from the roof. Walking forward to investigate, you hear a mechanical noise of sorts. The nozzles begin to shake as the noise gets louder and you see gas begins to spew forth. You run back to the door and once again start screaming for help, only to receive none. You feel your muscles go limp as your consciousness begins to fade. Emmy immediately comes to mind. Her smile as she gave you one last look before returning to her group. Her hair bouncing up and down with each step. Not a single care in the world. Please for the love of God let her be ok in all this.. whatever “this” is. Your eyes officially give out and close, as you lose all consciousness.