- Text Size +
"Hannaaa!!!" it was her younger brother, Erin.

Hanna felt like she was woken up from a trance with a bucket of ice.

"Ah shit! My stuffs!"

She ran across the room to get her bag and gather a couple of books - one of which is Thunder Flower itself. She then picked her favorite jacket and put it in as well.

After that, she stared at Simon. He was sitting on a bed, looking at her with a confused face.

"Hannaaaaaa!!" Erin's voice is now louder. Hanna could tell that he's now inside the house, "come on!"

Hanna looked at Simon.

Where should I put you?

Should I just throw you into my bag?

Or maybe... in some box?

"HANN-"

"Will you shut up for a minute? Just wait, okay?" she snapped.

Erin fell silent.

She then picked her discarded sock, "I'm sorry."

Simon was confused, but he let Hanna pick him up. He stayed confused as the dirty sock opened below him. He was dropped to the sock head first. He tried to stand up, but the slightly damp and stretchy sock made him feel like he's tied up and suspended midair.

Hanna quicky tied the sock shut, sealing the alien inside. She made the space inside quite small so the tiny creature wouldn't be able to move a lot inside.

She then put it on her palm and stared.

"What is this event? End this!!!" the struggling creature cried.

"Shut up," Hanna whispered.

His mouth stopped, but his body continued to struggle.

Hanna found herself smiling as she watch the poor fellow. She dropped him in her bag.

After closing the bag, she put an ear to it to listen. It was more quiet than she thought.

It made her worry for a bit, but after hearing another "Hannaaaa!!!" from the outside, her worries dissipated. It was replaced with, oddly, joy.

"Okay bro, here I am!" her voice was rather sweet as she exited her room.

***

Cocoon. I'm being cocoon-punished. The alien thought, trapped inside the tied up sock in a fetal position.

The life of his species begins with this: a cocoon. Solitary, innocent, and full of potential. A lot similar to some earth animals' eggs.

"To put someone back to their cocoon" is something of a punishment for young people in his world. For kids.

Because if a child is bad, or dumb, or even ugly... it means that his cocoon failed him. He was like a defective product. An online order gone wrong which should be brought back to its manufacturer.

Simon is somewhat a young adult. Like somewhere between 19 and 23 earth years in human age. As a grown-up, this was quite a degrading experience. This human, this young, primitive human actually cocoons him?!

It was dark and tight inside the girls bag. Not to mention smelly, devoid of oxygen. He could feel his mind becoming fuzzy. He can't bring himself to breathe normally, as the damp smell assaults his lungs in every inhale.

The smell. It's everywhere! It's in the cocoon. It's in his clothes and skin as well, thanks to the foot-pin that he received earlier.

He started to cough.

Some of the racist alien species - who are of course bigger than Simon's species - are somewhat true. The dirtiest part of any creature is its lowest body part. Its feet.

But that doesn't mean that Simon's species are mere lickers of their dirt, it means that their stupid bodies are too big for their small sense of hygiene!

He coughed again. He was beginning to get dizzy.
The smell. It assaults his nose. It grinds his lungs. He needed fresh air.
He had to clean himself, or else he'll die.

He started to lick his arms. The foot sweat in his skin had been drying up. So now it's slightly sticky. The smell is now buried deep into it. At each lick, a very strong bullet of that smell shoots his nostrils.

Tears formed in his eyes. He came here to fight for his species's freedom, but now he's licking some pungent thing from a human.

They're really the lickers of the bigger species' dirt aren't they?

No, I have a big sense of hygiene, he thought. He continued to lick his body clean. His stomach protesting at the vile, salty thing that it was consuming.

***

A long speech from mom. Some childish gestures from her brother.

Hanna is used to it. So as usual, she settled inside a room alone. Of course this isn't her room, this is one of Melanie's rooms. Her mom's friend has quite a big house.

On the side was a mattress, there is no bed. Next to it was a couple of sleeping bags. The entire family shall sleep here while their front yard is being fixed.

Fortunately, she's alone as of now. And she's taking her time to digest what just happened earlier.

She then grabbed her bag and opened it. The sock is there, there are slow movements in it. She picked it and the movements suddenly stopped. She's glad that the alien is still alive, at least.

She went to the bathroom. She remembered that she still haven't washed her damn feet.

She ignored Melanie's teenage kids staring at her carrying a sock-bag to the bathroom.

Melanie's place has two bathrooms, one for taking a bath and another for taking a shit. The two rooms are seated next to each other. Melanie entered the latter.

She sat on the toilet bowl and put the sock on the sink nearby. There is a faucet in front of her, she opened it and it let out a pathetic stream of water. She grabbed a soap and washed her feet.

Her mom would not like this, saying that her blood vessels will take over the smooth curves of her feet. But Hanna didn't care, because she would rather have blood vessels than cheesy odors in her feet. Aside from this, it's another act of defiance against her mom, albeit a petty one.

She stared at her feet. It's a rather big pair. But it has such a perfect curve. No wonder her mom doesn't want blood vessels in it. Her toes are rather cute with their round heads. A solid light blue manicure in each toenail. No glitters or other shits. Minimalist yet unusual enough, just the way she likes it.

She wiped her feet with the towel, stood up and started untying the sock. The slow movements are still there, she wonder what the alien was doing.

The sock was untied and she dangled it upside down, shaking it as if emptying a coin purse.

The little man fell. He looked up at Hanna, who greeted him with a big grin.

"YOU ARE BETTER IF YOU-"

"Shhhh," Hanna whispered, "they might hear you!"

Simon was confused, but eventually, he understood. He shut up, and settled at looking at her with hateful eyes.

Then, to Hanna's surprise, he licked his arms. Then his knees.

Hanna giggled and whispered, "what the heck are you doing? Are you a cat?"

Simon immediately stopped what he's doing. He seems to not know that this is a weird thing to do. What a peculiar sight to see: an adult man licking himself!

"I am cleaning my body! I have a good sense of hygiene, unlike you primitive dirty creatures!"

"Cleaning huh?" she stifled a laugh, "and can you just whisper?"

"Shut up, dirty human!"

She grabbed the man. She watched him trying to mask his fear. He coughed, trying to spit something.

"Are you sure you're cleaning yourself?" Hanna said.

"I said earlier that shut up!"

Hanna smelled the man, expecting to smell spit - a gross smell. But she encountered something worse: her feet's odor.

She laughed rather loudly.

"I should have remembered!" she said, not whispering anymore. Not only did she put him in her dirty sock, she also covered him in her foot sweat earlier!

Simon looked up at her.

"Do you like it, little man?" she whispered, her mouth so very close to his face. She can smell hints of that foot smell. "That's how you clean yourself? Maybe you can lick my feet!" she giggled.

Simon's eyes widened and his nose flared in rage. "YOU ARE VILE! You all the same! Primitive or no primitive!"

She wrapped her hands around his face. She was surprised that she made him burst into anger like that. She clearly hit something in him.

"Calm the fuck down you stupid alien boy!" she whispered to her closed fist, "do you really think I would make you do that? For fucks sake!"

She slowly opened her fist. "Calm down okay?" she told Simon. He is now pale, his hair messy. The only solid thing in him now is the rage in his eyes.

"I was gonna tell you if you would like me to lick you. You're kinda... cute when you get teased."

Hanna felt the heat in her cheeks. What the fuck did I just say?

She went serious. "Tell me Simon. How did you get here? Did you land here by accident?"

Simon rolled his eyes, "I will not tell you. Not especially to you primitive creature!"

"Oh come on! You're literally dependent to me! I don't think a tiny alien like you will survive here! Think about it."

"I am able to make myself survive. I will find my vehicle and..." he trailed off. He then looked at her with contempt.

Hanna giggled, "you mean your spaceship? It's taken by the Space Agency and it's probably far away now. In the middle of the desert or maybe in the capital. Who knows?"

"I do not worry. I will find it!"

"Are you sure about that?"

"I'm not a primitive, stupid, big creature like you! Of course I can!"

Hanna scratched her head. Her feet is now becoming cold in the bathroom floor. Tomorrow, the blood vessels will take over for sure, and it's all because of this stupid little alien.

She looked around, and then pointed at the toilet bowl, "do you see that?"

"See the what? I have a sight organ you stupid-"

"No! This!"

She put him close to the toilet bowl, putting him near the clear yet unimaginably dirty water.

"Uhmmmm... let me think... ah! The waste collector! What a primitive thing!"

"Waste collector eh? I like that," Hanna found herself enjoying this, "if you really think you don't need me and you can survive, I'll throw you here, like a waste!"

Simon looked at it. Even Hanna was surprised to see fear in his eyes. He's actually buying it!

She pulled him away and stood, "now, you better quit your nonsense! You're mine. I know you're hiding something, little boy."

"You really is a vile, disgusting-"

She flushed the toilet. The color of Simon also flushed. Hanna stifled a giggle so loud it made her cough.

"Okay! I will tell you! I came here to... to... to kill! Yes! To kill you all! Because you all deserve to die!"

Hanna's smile dropped. She observed the raging little man. He's as serious as a funeral.

But suddenly, she giggled again. "Are you sure? A mere waste collector can stop you you stupid insect!"

"You will experience! You will experience what will happen and let's observe what will you say then!"

Hanna had to digest that one. Realizing, she felt a pang of anger, "are you threatening me? Threatening us?"

"Whatever! I will do it whatever happens! You will experience!"

The anger grew, "well, I'll tell you you insect, I won't hesitate to dump you there, and flush you away to god-knows-where to stop you! Hell, I can even stomp on you like a fucking bug! Don't scare me you fucking insect. I don't have time for bullshit!"

Silence.

Hanna calmed down and looked at Simon.

"Will you really kill us?" she said, almost like a little girl seeking guidance from her mother.

Simon was stunned by the sudden gentleness.

"I say you forget what that was."

"Fuck you."

Incredibly, the peculiar conversation ended with a couple of giggles. Both of which are as human as a giggle can possibly be.

***

Melanie's children stared at Hanna as she walked back to the room. This time with more confused looks. They probably heard something. But Hanna didn't care. Simon's voice was too soft for any of them to hear, she's pretty sure about that.

Her mom and younger brother was there. She lay down on one of the sleeping bags.

"Let's sleep. Don't stay up all night okay?" her mom said.

Hanna ignored her. Earlier, she found a cloth sack near the bathroom, and she put Simon there.

"Goodnight," she whispered as she put the sack on her bag.

She laid down and checked her phone.

Chat messages from classmates. Emails from teachers. Some messages from a couple of relatives even. A lot of people are concerned, or maybe just curious, about her situation. A meteor landed on her house! On her 18th birthday!

She gave them lazy replies.

Social media has something more interesting though. It's under fire right now.

Memes, discussions, and debates about aliens. Apparently, the meteor and how the Space Agency handled it stirred people's interests about aliens.