- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 6/6

----------

I open my eyes, rousing from my slumber. I'm still in the makeshift 'bed'. Feeling hot, I kick off the 'sheets' and rub my eyes.


"What was I just doing? Oh, right, I was trying to figure out who the rat could be."


I check the time on my watch, which tells me that I dozed off for about two hours. I sit up and yawn, climbing down from the oversized lump of cotton. As my eyes adjust to the light, I look out to the sofa across from me, at the figure of a giant woman sitting there quietly. She has a plate in her lap, with rice, steamed vegetables, and thin slices of beef.


"Andrea." I say into the walkie talkie. "How long have you been there?"


The giant woman flinches upon hearing my voice through the larger walkie-talkie. Her gaze then falls on me, or rather, the 'bed' which is much easier to spot at a distance. She covers her mouth so that she can respond despite having a mouth full of food. "You startled me, sir. I haven't been here for long. I only just finished making lunch." She takes a moment to swallow her food before removing her hand. "I know you do not like to be woken up, so I started eating without you."


"Looks like you forgot to cut me a piece." I say, with some irritation in my voice. Must I explicitly ask for everything? "What? Can't spare a tiny man a crumb?"


"I have already left you some freshly cooked food nearby." She says, with no emotion in her voice. "Please help yourself."


"You did?" I say, looking around for it. To my surprise, it's right there. I hadn't noticed it. Apparently my brain isn't fully awake yet. "Ah. Thanks..."


I go over to the bits of food and begin to eat my fill. Considering how nice it smells, I'm surprised I hadn't noticed until now. It tastes good! I didn't know that she could cook. I also didn't know that she has a nosy neighbor. And that she has a dust allergy...


In fact, I don't know all that much about her at all.


I mean, yeah, I know how she is at work. She's efficient, focused, and dedicated. However, I've recently learned that there's a lot more to her. A personal side, that she keeps entirely separate from her obligations in our operation. The same goes for the guys, but I haven't known them for nearly as long. I try to list five things about her, unrelated to work, and can't name more than two. 


I look at her skeptically, as we both eat. She is no longer looking at me, her attention back to her food. She is usually more talkative. At least, she has been ever since I went into her care. The more I think about it, the more I feel that something is wrong.


"Wait." I mutter, making sure that my walkie talkie is off. "Could... Could it be her?"


Andrea is so loyal and cooperative that I never considered that she could be the one who betrayed me. I was so quick to blame the guys that I never even pointed a finger at her. In my mind, her being a traitor was impossible. There's no one else who knows the intricacies of our operation as well as her. Other than myself, obviously. She certainly stands to gain from my arrest. The guys like her more than me. While she doesn't have the connections I do, she could potentially take over this operation. All she would need to do is get rid of me.


"It all makes sense. There's no way I would be the only one they're after. At least one of them should've been in the same shitty situation. Did they plan this together? Were they conspiring against me?"


I take another look at Andrea and scowl. The more I think about it, the more the idea solidifies in my mind. My doubt disappears. I know I've found the culprit. I toss my food aside, spitting out what was in my mouth. I have no apetite now. I doubt the food is poisoned, since she's also eating it, but I just don't feel hungry. I feel sick. To think that someone I trusted could stab me in the back!


"Andrea." I say, my tone inidicitive of my mood. "We need to talk."


The giantess puts her fork on the plate and promptly places her unfinished meal on the table, a respectable distance away from me. She then gets down on her knees, sitting on her legs so that she's close to the table.


"What would you like to talk about, Boss?"


I hesistate, caught off guard by how casually she is acting. Clutching the walkie talkie tightly, I decide to confront her. "I've been thinking about my situation. About who could have exposed me. And most importantly, why I'm the only one in trouble."


"I see." She nods, a smirk creeping across her lips. "Have you come to a conclusion?"


"I might've."


"I also have an idea." She adds. "If you are not willing to share it, then shall I go first?"


Again, I hesitate. What is she talking about? There is no way a guilty person would be able to act so calm. Is she a psychopath? I'm so confused. Before I go ahead and accuse her to her face, I keep my mouth shut and listen.


"Go on."


Andrea's smirk grows into a pleasant smile as she begins. "You will be pleased to know that there was never a rat. I believe your situation was caused by an information leak. A simple accident, sir."


"An accident?" I repeat, in disbelief. "You're telling me all of this happened because someone fucked up?"


"Yes, that is what I think."


I laugh, surprised that she would have the audacity to lie when she is guilty. Here I was thinking she would have a convincing excuse. I might've believed her! Blaming this on an error is so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh.


"Sir?" Andrea frowns. "Are you alright?"


"I'm just peachy!" I continue to chuckle. "And who do we have to blame for this 'accident'. Oh boy, this should be good..."


She makes an awkward face, her gaze remaining focused on me. I wait for a response, but she remains silent. Only then do I stop laughing.


"You don't mean me, do you?" I whisper into the mic. "Watch yourself, Andrea. If this is a joke, it's not funny."


"With all due respect, sir, why would I joke about such a serious matter?"


"So you're saying that I fucked up somehow? That I'm the one responsible for this shit?!"


"If you will allow me to explain-"


"Please do! Enlighten me!" I yell, feeling my anger swelling. "Tell me exactly how I fucked up!"


"Perhaps I shouldn't..." Andrea leans back, visibly uncomfortable.


"Andrea. This is an order." I growl. "Do not make me repeat myself."


The giantess leans forward again, sighing deeply. I feel a rush of hot air in my face, but I'm too worked up to care.


"While you were asleep, I ended up visiting the workshop to review the CCTV footage. It was on Thursday afternoon. You had stepped out to speak with one of our 'clients', when someone walked in." She explains, trying to jog my memory. "You'd left the door open, so this person entered and began browsing our merchandise. For whatever reason, this nosy person made their way into the back, peeking into our storage room. There had been an illegal augment on the table, which they recognized. They left the shop in a hurry before you could notice anything was amiss."


"And then they called the cops? Sure, let's go with that." I shake my head. "Still doesn't explain why your and the guys aren't in the same situation."


"Actually, it does, Boss." She corrects me. "Officially, I am merely your secretary. I have no background in technology. I could never hope to produce the things you or the boys do. As for them, they were never formally employed. As far as the authorities are concerned, they cannot be tied to you. You are the only one who could have worked on the augment."


While her story makes some sense, I simply can't believe it. Every fiber of my being is screaming bullshit. There's no way I messed up like that. I'd have heard someone coming in, let alone going into our backrooms. Unable to hold it in any longer, I finally come out and say it.


"Andrea, cut the crap! I know it was you! Frankly, these excuses are pathetic."


The giant woman's expression becomes one of shock. "Me? Boss, are you excusing me of betraying you?" She leans in closer, uncomfortably so, until her face is all I can see. I hold her gaze, seeing what is likely pain in her eyes. "Boss... No, Nathan, I would never dare-"


"Never call me that, Andrea!" I scream in outrage. "You forget your place!" 


Suddenly, I see her lips quivering. She seems to be holding back tears. What a typical woman! She thinks crying will evoke sympathy? Hah, fat chance! I'm not so gullible. I would never fall for such an obvious farce.


"I cannot believe that you would accuse me." She whispers. "After all we have been through."


"Can you blame me? It makes perfect sense! You've been so close to me. Who else would be able to strategically leak information while also avoiding incriminating themself? The boys may be skilled but they aren't that crafty. They're dogs! I trained them well and now they do as they're told. You, however, are not like them. I always knew you had ambition, I just never thought it would grow so big that it'd cause you to stab me in the back!"


"I do not know what to say." She shakes her head slowly. "I am at a loss for words."


"I bet it was so funny, watching me panic. I fucking shrunk myself, Andrea! I became a fucking speck just to hide, willingly putting myself in the care of the one I thought I could trust most." I continue to rant, my pent up feelings pouring out my mouth. "And the accidents! I thought you were careless idiot, but you were really just toying with me! What, was that old bitch in on it too?!"


Suddenly, Andrea's expression becomes angry. "What did you just say?"


"Oh, sorry, guess you're giant fucking ears missed that! I asked if that giant, old whale was part of your scheme!"


Andrea stares daggers at me. "Take. That. Back."


"Why should I?" I laugh. "You got an ear complex or something?"


"Insult me all you want, but do not insult Mrs. Ruth. That woman has nothing to do with this. Take it back, now."


"No." I shrug. "Fuck you, and fuck her."


Andrea pounds her fist on the table, sending me flying backward. I land roughly on the tabletob, injuring my shoulder. I look up to find that she's standing now, her full, enomrous height looming over me. Her fists are clenched tightly at her sides, but she doesn't move to attack me or anything.


"I have endured this abuse for long enough." She says, grabbing her walkie talkie and switching it off. "I am going to talk and you are going to listen."


"Turn that on right now, Andrea!" I yell, but my tiny voice has no hope of reaching her, way up there.


"Checking the footage wasn't the only thing I did while you were asleep." She says, folding her arms over her chest. "Despite what you told me, your clients were very willing to deal with me when I called them. I sorted out the payments and sales that you claimed could only be done personally. It would seem that I am just as capable as you, in that respect."


She begins to pace around the table, her heavy footsteps sending tremors through the ground. I follow her as she walks around.


"Time after time, I am blamed for your mistakes. Even when there is video evidence of your error, you refuse to accept responsibility. You blame me, your right hand, and...former friend." She brings a hand to her face, dragging it down to touch her lips. "I have dedicated so much time and effort to building this operation with you. We could have worked through this, together. I would not have abandoned you in your time of need."


She faces away from me, wiping what I assume is her eye. 


"All of the 'accidents' that you blame me for are also your doing. If you had not gone near my feet, you would not have gotten trapped in dust, nor would I have sneezed. If you had not asked to stand on my notebook, you would not have fallen. If you had not insisted on remaining on the sofa, you would not have been at risk of being found." She turns back around and walks over to stand in front of me, leaning over with her hands on her hips. "I cannot fathom what went through your head when you crawled out into the open, after I had hidden you. All of your misfortunes were caused by your own choices! You are small because you made yourself small. Do not blame me for this!"


She falls back onto the couch, breathing heavily. Her eyes appear to be puffy now. She manages to catch her breath and continue.


"Becoming small has revealed the pathetic, little man you truly are. You used to go around doing whatever you wanted, intimidating those poor boys, and violating me with your stares. Do you think I never noticed? I can feel that filthy gaze on my body even while you are tiny. You thought you were a big-shot, the boss of an infamous crime syndicate, but you are not. You are nothing more than a small fry."


Andrea leans forward, causing me to yelp. In her state of mind, I fear that she might attack me.


"I wonder what you planned to do if I really was the 'rat'. If I truly wanted to hurt you, I could have easily stepped on you the moment you became small. It would have been a traceless crime. Instead, I did everything I could to make you comfortable. Your wellbeing was my utmost concern. I- No, I am finished. You may speak now."


She reaches over and switches her walkie talkie on. Without thinking, I say the first thing on my mind.


"I can't stand the sight of you. Make me big again, so I can handle this myself. I don't need you anymore."


Andrea stands up, walking into her room without a word. She then returns with the matter-altering device in hand. She drops it on the floor, raising her foot above it. With a powerful stomp, she crushes the device, reducing it to a sparking, useless lump of metal.


"Are you fucking insane, woman?! How am I supposed to get back to normal now?!"


She reaches for me, using her nail to scoop me up. I'm collected, along with some flecks of dust, and flicked into the palm of her hand. I tumble on the flesh of her palm, worsening my shoulder injury in the process. She brings her hand up to her face as she walks over to the window.


"It is clear to me that this operation can continue without you. In fact, I believe we will be able to achieve far more that you ever could. The world is better off without someone like you. You wanted to disappear, so I will grant your wish."


"No! Andrea, stop! Please!" I cower, fearing she'll crush me. "I don't want to die!"


"I have no intention of killing you." She tells me, as she opens the window. "I will not put blood on my hands. You are not worth that." She extends her hand out the window. Beneath it are shrubs and other plants that decorate the garden. "Live out the rest of your days as a speck. Goodbye, Nathan."


I feel the ground beneath me disappear as she turns her hand over. The walkie-talkie slips from my grasp, leaving my screams unheard as I plummet down to the dirt below. I land in a pool of mud, near the stem of flowers that have recently been watered. I desperately look for the device, but cannot find it. Somewhere high above, I head a window shut. I scrape off the mud and other gunk from my body, shivering in the cold. I seek shelter beneath a rotting, fallen leaf. Hours pass, while I struggle to process what just happened. For the first time ever, I feel truly alone. I wish someone would wake me up from this nightmare.


"She'll come back for me. I know she will." I mutter under my breath. "Someone will. Surely..."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this story. Please review and let me know what you think. I am always looking to improve!