- Text Size +
Chapter Seven: Later That Day

The military and the police were still in the parking lot of the junior high school. Lathan, Candy, Darnell and the woman from the future were standing around when a general asked Lathan for any future technology he still had. Lathan went to the trunk of his muscle car and got the duffel bag, and handed it over to the general. 

Becky’s father the police officer hugged his daughter.

The general looked the six girls over and asked, “Did that girl give you any technology?”

They showed him the rings they wore that Decimatrix had given them.

“Take them off right now, and hand them over!” the general demanded.

“General, I don’t think that’s a good idea!” said Lathan.

“I give the orders around here!” the general shouted at Lathan, then turned and spoke to the Dollingers, and to Taffy, Becky and Christine. “Give me those rings!”

The six of them took off the rings and handed them to the general, then they shot up to hundreds of feet tall. They were the same height as they were before, with Storm at 300 feet tall, Christine about her height, and the other girls slightly taller than them. The rings also grew in proportion to their height, and the general was trapped underneath some of them. Taffy grabbed the rings and moved them into a pile, so the General wouldn’t be injured.

“I tried to explain it to you, General!” said Lathan. “Those girls are going to have to wear those rings for the rest of their lives, they’re the only thing preventing them from returning to giant size!”

Becky, at over 300 feet tall, became angry at the general. “That girl wants to conquer Earth unless Lexie and Lana beat her in disk golf! The Dollingers won today, but they have to play her again tomorrow for best two out of three! I suggest you let us return to normal size so they can practice! The fate of the world depends on them!”

“Don’t make Becky mad, General!” said Taffy. “She has anger management issues, she’s seeing a counselor for it and everything!”

“Everything they just said is true, General!” said Lathan. “If you don’t want them stomping around at three hundred plus feet tall, they need to wear their rings.”

The general relented, and actually ordered the six girls to put their rings back on. In less than a minute, they were all back at normal size.

“I need to find a bathroom!” said Lana, and she headed into the school grounds. The other girls agreed, and followed her.

“We’ll probably become famous for this!” said Taffy on the way to the bathroom. “We deserve it!”

“Maybe we’ll get rich from all of this!” said Lana. “What would the five of you do with a lot of money?”

“I would buy enough boxes of candy bars to fill my garage!” said Christine.

“You’re always thinking with your stomach, Christine!” said Taffy.

When the six girls came out of the bathroom, reporters were there from the local news station. The reporter in front of the camera asked them each what they wanted most from this experience.

“Fame!” said Taffy.

“Wealth!” said Lana.

“No need to work or go to school any more!” said Storm.

“To defeat my enemies in battle!” said Becky.

“Endless supplies of candy bars and pizza!” said Christine.

“All of you picked all the good topics!” said Lexie. “I’m so jealous of all of you! I guess my wish would be an end to world hunger.”

The other girls agreed with this, and went to their classes because the bell rang. The reporter and camera crew got their equipment and headed to the news van.

Lathan and Candy got into their car and headed back to the high school, with Darnell and the woman from the future in the rear of the vehicle. They dropped Darnell off at his place, and the future woman stayed with Darnell. Once they were back at the high school, it was lunch time. Some of the kids knew what had happened, and congratulated Lathan.

Candy’s friends approached her, and after Candy told them what had happened, they thought Lathan was a hero. Lathan didn’t know them very well, but he thought they were attractive.

At the Dollinger residence that night, Storm ate with her cousins because her parents wanted her to encourage Lana and Lexie to beat Decimatrix at disk golf the next day. Lana, Lexie, Lathan, and their parents were seated at the table with Storm.

“Maybe Decimatrix has technology so we could swallow food pills so we don’t have to waste time chewing our food any more!” said Storm.

Lathan laughed. “Your photograph should be in the dictionary next to the word lazy, Storm!”

The others laughed at this.

When dinner was over, Lana went to her laptop in the bedroom she shared with Lexie and checked her emails. She had tens of thousands of emails.

“I’ve got more e-mails than I could check in a day! By the time I get done reading two of them, a hundred more pop up!”

Lexie checked her e-mails on her laptop, and didn’t have ad many as her sister. 

“You’re so lucky! Why do you get all of the attention?” said Lexie.

“Don’t get jealous of me,” said Lana, “I might get an offer that can make both of us rich beyond measure!”

“All you think about is getting rich!” said Lexie.

“And you’re always so jealous of other people,” Lana replied. “If Taffy wasn’t so rich, would you still hate her?”

“I guess you have a point,” said Lexie.

“If we get rich, you won’t need to be jealous of her, because we’ll be set for life! People work their entire lives and never reach the level of fame we’ve achieved because of all that’s happened to us today! We need to use it to our advantage!”

To Be Continued!