- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The one thing about vampires...excellent hearing.
Author's Chapter Notes:

When I ventured into the Mystic Grill for a drink, something caused me to shrink. Not knowing what or how, only knew that I needed help. Only thing I can think of were the probably the only ones that can hear me at this size. And to my surprise, the one who found me, is the one I was originally there to seek out. 


The Mystic Grill wasn't super busy tonight. A few stragglers up at the bar, including myself, enjoying some casual drinks while a group of friends sat at a table somewhere towards the back. I knew about Mystic Falls and it's apparent popularity with vampires, witches and werewolves. It was the main reason I came to visit. I wanted to meet some of them and maybe even convince one of the vampires to turn me. I heard a lot about the Salvatore brothers but who really had my attention was Caroline Forbes.

They were all chatting away along with Bonnie and Elaina, laughing and making fun. I took a sip of the favorite local bourbon when I felt a very odd sensation. Not the kind you get when you drink a little too much. This was different. A tingle ran throughout my body, causing me to feel nauseous and light headed. Before I knew it I had passed out. When I came to, my vision started out blurry but soon cleared. When it did, I was horrified at what I saw. Everything was enormous! That's when I came to the realization that I had shrunk. Fear gripped me. How was I going to get help?

I paced back and forth on the floor up against the wall of the bar, wondering what I was going to do. Then a thought came to me, vampires. I know they have excellent hearing and maybe if I called out loud enough, one of them would hear me. My only fear is that it would be the wrong one to find me. I took a deep breath and cupped my hands around my mouth, "Can anyone hear me? Someone please help!" I waited a few minutes and tried again, "Someone help me please! I'm on the floor by the bar!" I noticed the voices that had been going on in the back were suddenly quiet. And then I saw her, Caroline. She was slowly walking toward the bar, clearly listening and searching.

Caroline was looking for the source of the one calling for help. I called out once more, "Please! I've shrunk somehow! I'm on the floor by the bar! I'm scared! Please someone help me!" Caroline looked in my direction, carefully walking toward me. When she got to the bar, she knelt down right in front of me. Looking up, my body began to shake in fear. There she was, Caroline Forbes looking right at me. Her eyes were big in amazement but also in worry. "Oh my god," she whispered, then lowered her hand so that I could climb on. "Don't be scared. I'll help you." I hesitated for only a moment but knew she would keep me safe.

Sitting in the middle of Caroline's hand was something I never thought would be possible. She was so huge! I felt the G force as she stood up, curling her fingers over me so she could walk without fear of dropping me or anyone else seeing. "Guys, we have a problem," I heard her say to her friends. Bonnie was the first to say something, "Whats wrong? Did you find who was calling for help?" "Yeah I did. But this isn't something I can help her with." "What do you mean," I heard Elaina ask. I felt Caroline's hand move forward before her fingers opened up. 

All eyes were on me. Bonnie, Elaina, Caroline, Damon and Stefan all equally confused. It only took a second before Damon reached for me, "I can help with that." Caroline instantly slapped his hand away, "What are you doing Damon?" He put his hands up in a fake surrender, "Was just gonna eat her. That would solve it quickly." Caroline was horrified, "What? No!" "No one is eating her," Stefan said in my defense. "Yeah Damon," Bonnie agreed. "That's just cruel." 

Elaina looked at Bonnie, "You think you can help her?" Bonnie glanced down at me, thinking. "I can see if there are any shrinking spells and growth spells. But without knowing exactly how this happened, it'll be hard." Caroline pulled me closer to her, "I'm gonna take her to my house where she'll be safe." She said the last word with a glare toward Damon. Elaina stood up, "I'll go with you."

Stefan offered to stay back with Damon to make sure he wouldn't try anything while Bonnie went to her house and look through her grandmother's Grimoire. Elaina drove us while I was cradled safely in Caroline's hand. I was in darkness until we arrived in her bedroom, which is when she opened her hand. It was much better here without everyone else looking on or Damon offering to kill me. Only ones looking down on me right now were the 2 kind souls of Caroline and Elaina.

Lifting me up to their eye level so they could get a better look at me, Caroline asked, "Do you know how this happened?" I shook my head, "No. I was just sitting at the bar when I felt a weird tingle all over, got light headed and then blacked out." "That's so odd," said Elaina. Caroline nodded, then she asked me, "What's your name?" "Melissa." She smiled, "Nice to meet you Melissa. I'm Caroline, and this is Elaina." She gestured to Elaina as I waved at her. 

"So where are you from," Caroline continued her questions. "Florida. Was just here as a tourist." Elaina spoke up, "That's a long way to just visit here." I nodded, "It is, but believe it or not, I actually know about y'all. As in vampires." Caroline gave me a look of concern and a little defensive, "Oh really." I gulped, "Yeah, but not in a bad way. I wanted to meet you. I'm very fascinated by you." "In what way?" "Well, I had hopes you'd be the one I meet and maybe be like you. To turn and have the strong will power you got. To basically be your student." "I'm sorry Melissa but I'm not going to turn you. We're gonna make you big again and then you're going to go home." I hung my head, "I was afraid you'd say that."

A felt a finger brush up against the side of my head, causing me to look up at Caroline. She looked at me sadly, "This is not a lifestyle I would wish on anyone, but if it's really what you want, what you drove all the way from Florida for, then I'll at least consider it." I smiled and hugged her finger the best I could, "Thank you."

We all chatted up a while, all the time staying in Caroline's hand. Talking of things we can do when I got big before I went home. I even begged to not to be compelled to forget this. I wanted to remember this experience at the promise that I would never tell anyone. She agreed.

Chapter End Notes:

So many things can happen after this...but what?