- Text Size +

“I… like you,” Kaylee answered. “As in like-you, like-you. God, that sounds so silly. I’m just nervous. What I mean is, I have… feelings for you. Deep ones. I care about you a ton, and I just want to know if you… feel the same way at all about me?”

Brandon was stricken, more shocked than if Kaylee’s palm had overturned to dump him to his doom. Here he thought that being picked up by a giant would be the most surprising thing to happen to him today, but these last words out of the young woman’s mouth put that expectation to rest. Jaw hanging open, Brandon was truly speechless. Under his back, he noticed the slightest trace of clammy moisture frosting over Kaylee’s hand. She was nervous, too.

“I know, I know, it seems like I’m putting you on the spot, and… I am, but I just couldn’t take it anymore. The waiting, I mean. I had to know how you feel, too,” Kaylee rambled on. Her words were sincere, and quelled some of the panic threatening to bubble up in Brandon, but it was still far too much to take in. “You’ve just always been so nice to me, and you’re funny and cute and smart and… ugh, I’m doing this all wrong. This is probably the weirdest way you’ve ever been asked out. But I need to know, once and for all, how you feel about me.”

The options flashed through Brandon’s mind, and none of them were straightforward. The situation was so surreal, it was tough for him to even know himself what the answer was. Kaylee was adorably human, despite her inhuman stature, and frankly a knockout beauty in a girl-next-door way: really, the ideal match for Brandon, if it wasn’t for his tendency to be terrified of any creature large and powerful enough to hold him in the center of their hand.

What would she say if he gave her an answer she didn’t like? Might she just send him flying, either on purpose or not? Kaylee was obviously emotionally invested in him in ways he would’ve never guessed. Brandon might have bet she didn’t even remember his name before, and yet here she was with the world’s literal biggest crush on him. Having a being that massive and mighty so focused on his existence was intimidating, and made Brandon speak before he’d even thought through the words:

“I like you, too.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

There was a pause where Kaylee studied him, her countenance unreadable. She blinked, her lips quivered, and then the smile returned with a grateful vengeance. The girl clenched her eyes shut, and when they opened again, glistening tears had welled before her blue irises.

“Oh my God, that’s… such a relief, Brandon, I can’t even tell you. I’ve just been so nervous about what you’d say, and now that I’ve got you here and you… y-you tell me you feel the same, wow…” Now it was Kaylee’s turn to be beside herself. She knelt to the ground again, cupping her free hand against her freckled cheek. Her flattened palm briefly quaked, but steadied before Brandon had time to worry for his safety more than he already was. Once Kaylee got ahold of herself, she drew her hand nearer to her face, until her chin rested against the curvature of her wrist.

Hot, spearmint-scented exhalations fogged around Brandon at such close proximity to Kaylee’s opened lips. Her breathing was growing shallower, then relaxing again as she stared down the miniature man in her palm. All Brandon could say for certain was that he was transfixed by the giantess’s face looming so near, and whether it was due to genuine attraction or fight-or-flight reaction was impossible to know.

“Oh, Brandon. This is… perfect. I’m so happy things went like this.”

“M-Me too.” It was far too late to back out now.

“Don’t worry. I’ll still be careful. But, I have to… touch you… please, just hold still for me, okay?”

A doe-eyed focus enchanted the girl’s face. The fingers of Kaylee’s opposite hand crested over her palm, and a thumb as wide as Brandon’s body reached for him. Taking a step back felt stupid; there was nowhere to go up here. Kaylee’s pillowy thumbpad made contact with Brandon’s chest, stroked its way down his torso, and along his legs. Then she did it again, and a third time. Soon her other fingers joined in, petting Brandon’s back and even circling her pinky around the top of his head, ruffling his hair. Strangely, her touch had a calming effect on Brandon, despite his fears that these very same fingers might accidentally flick him into the mid-distance. In contrast to her gracefulness, there was a raw strength Brandon sensed in those digits. Yet she was in complete control of her hands, caressing him with gentility comparable to an intimate hug.

It wasn’t bad. Brandon had to admit that to himself.

How in the hell had he gotten into this situation?

“I know it isn’t very private out here. Could I come see you, tonight?” Kaylee requested in a soft purr. Her fingers continued petting Brandon, increasingly enclosing him into an igloo comprised of her lukewarm palm. She practically had him cupped between the two hands, like a precious animal she was afraid might leap out of her grasp.

“S-Sure.”

“Okay. You don’t have to worry about trying to find me, I’m… sure I can find you,” Kaylee promised. “Oh, and before I go… sorry, but I just can’t put it off any more. I’ve waited such a long time to do this.”

Brandon was on the verge of fruitlessly pondering her intentions again when the question was answered by Kaylee’s closed eyes and the abrupt puckering of her lips. The soft, pink flesh tightened into a point and her cheeks puffed slightly as she drew her hands to her mouth as if taking a drink from a stream. With a palm cupped at Brandon’s back, there was nowhere to go but toward those incoming lips.

The kiss was but a peck, lasting only a second, but for Brandon, the effect was moist and all-consuming; even puckered, Kaylee’s lips easily covered his whole head. A murmur gurgled from her throat, and the girl pulled away. Inadvertently, she’d pinned Brandon down to her hand by the gentle force of her lips, though of course she didn’t notice. Instead, she stooped back down to the sidewalk by the building, and laid her hand on the ground. Rather than wait for Brandon to disembark on his own, which might’ve taken several minutes anyway given the befuddling shock of that spit-laced kiss, Kaylee’s thumb and index finger cinched sweetly around Brandon’s hips and picked him clean off her palm. Only when the young man’s sneakers hit pavement again did the reality of this event really set fully in.