- Text Size +

 

“Small towns have long memories and pass their horrors down ceremonially from generation to generation.”

-Salem’s Lot, Stephen King

The pair of doctors and their student assistant stood on the front lawn of Dr. West’s small house just off campus. West took a step to the front of the group, the dead leaves and browned grass crunching under her feet as she put her hands on her hips and took a deep breath of the cool autumn morning air.

“Look at that,” she said excitedly, pointing up at the sun, “daybreak, and no vampire.

“I daresay our spectral friend must have won the day!” Stein agreed.

“Should we go thank her or something?” Howard asked.

Stein waved a hand dismissively, “we can credit her in the papers we’re going to publish once our research is completed. Now tonight I suggest we prepare the growth apparatus again, only this time-“

They were cut off by a beat up old car, Brendan’s, pulling into their driveway. The trio watched, stunned, as Trent, Lupe, and Madison exited the vehicle, all looking fairly human.

“W-Why Madison dear,” West stammered, “it’s uh… good to see you!”

“I’ve had a talk with these people,” she said coolly, the green ribbon around her neck dancing in the wind, “just give them the damn book back, you don’t want any part of Die Vermis Mysteriis anyway.”

“Hey, remember me?” Trent growled, causing Howard to shrink back in fear.

“Relax nerds,” Lupe laughed, “the boss lady with the fangs doesn’t want us to kill you… today, provided you see reason.”

“Honestly she’s being really lenient,” Trent muttered, “she beat the shit out of us.”

“We will never surrender the book!” West laughed.

“Oh, for the love of…” Howard sighed, then ran into the house.

“Wait!” West screamed in horror, “Stein, stop him!”

The other doctor ran towards the door, but before she could block the doorway Howard emerged, carrying the ancient tome in his hands. He marched past the two stunned scientists, then handed to the surprised werewolves in a defiant motion.

“There, this horror is done,” Howard declared, “take this book back to whatever lair the white worm you serve resides in!”

“Oh, I wouldn’t call her that,” Lupe chuckled, “anyways I think she will be by to discuss things with all three of you at some point, I know you took some other stuff from her but giving this bad boy,” she patted the book, “back to us? It’ll probably earn you some good treatment…”

“What business would that otherworldly girl have with us, if she has her book back?” Stein demanded.

“You’re dabbling in high sorcery,” Madison said neutrally, “in a land she intends to claim dominion over.”

“Sorcery!?” West snapped, “nonsense, it’s merely sufficiently advanced science, just because the vampire doesn’t understand-“

“I’m sure she will enjoy hearing your explanations,” Madison said, “but like myself, I believe you two will soon be bound to her service.”

“Hey, it ain’t bad,” Lupe laughed, “now you three don’t leave town or anything, got it?”

To accentuate the threat, Lupe walked over to a black sedan parked in West’s driveway, her own vehicle, and extended her claws. She sliced through the thick rubber like it was tissue paper. The sound of the tire deflating accompanied the three monsters as they entered Brendan’s car again, the engine humming to life as they pulled out of the driveway.

“T-The vampire,” West stuttered.

“I know,” Howard said fearfully, “I’d hoped she wouldn’t come for us if we gave her the book, but-“

“She’s trying to steal our research!” West fumed.

“There must be some kind of publishing company in Transylvania for scientific journal articles,” Stein agreed.

The two angrily turned on Howard, “How could you give them the book?” West snapped, poking her finger into his chest as he backed slowly up the house walkway.

“T-They would have torn us to pieces!” he protested.

“We could have come up with something!” West said, “we could have-“ she froze, seeing a single ancient parchment page on the floor of the house’s entryway. With a grin she leaned down, snatching it up.

“What is it?” Stein asked, peering over the other doctor’s shoulder.

“Howard, you genius!” West crowed, holding it up for Stein, “it was a ruse, he secreted this one page of the book out for us, the most important one!”

“I did?” Howard muttered. He didn’t feel it was the best time to reveal that the remaining page had more to do with faulty binding than anything on his part. “I did!” he agreed with a smile, “the uh… most important one?”

“Yes,” West said, flouring the page to the other two, “obviously the problem with the Dullahan was that she wasn’t a big enough fish, if we want to rid ourselves of this vampire, we’ve got to go straight to the very top of the pecking order.”

“The crawling chaos?” Stein read, stroking her chin, “Nyarlathotep? Sounds vaguely Egyptian…”

“I’m certain if we just call this creature up, we can make some sort of bargain with it to assist us,” West exclaimed.

“Uh, what do you suppose this Crawling Chaos person is going to want in exchange?” Howard asked nervously.

“I don’t know, we can ask once we’ve completed this summoning ritual!” West said, reading the page, “Now what do you suppose Shrike-Blood is, and how could we get some?”

“Brendan hurry!” Valeria called in a panic, “you must move that coffin up into the guest room! Mother vill need her own quarters.”

“Got it,” he grunted, trying his best to drag the massive black casket. Even with the strength he’d been developing over the last few days it was impossibly heavy.

“And go to the basement and find a writing desk next,” Valeria shouted, hovering by him as she took a duster to the cobwebs up in the far corners of the room, “mother vill vant vun of those too!”

“Of course she will,” Brendan grunted, forcing the coffin up over the edge of the top stair.

“You guys need a hand?” Trent called, leading the others into the main hall.

“Yeah, this stuff is heavy,” Brendan smiled.

“We read the docs the riot act,” Lupe said, “and we got this back,” she hefted the book.

Valeria squealed, and with a blur of motion she was at Lupe’s side, taking it from the werewolf, “there vere others taken, but… this vas the most important one.” She sighed with relief and giggled slightly, “if I didn’t have this vhen mother arrived… vell, it vould have been bad.”

“Should we really be leaving Doctor Evil and her twin sister on the lam?” Trent asked, “I mean, they seemed pretty well intimidated and all, but-“

“I vill have many uses for a pair of mad scientists such as them,” Valeria said, “vhen this business vith mother is done, I vill direct their research into more beneficial directions… for now mother’s visit is my priority.”

“So what now?” Madison asked.

“You vill help me prepare for mother’s arrival!” she said with a grin. With a flick of Valeria’s wrist the cabinet beneath the sink opened, sponges and cleaning chemicals levitated out towards the wolves and the Dullahan.

“And just like that, being a minion sucks again,” Lupe growled.

“Put it on!” Alex laughed, holding the tiny sailor moon outfit out towards Candy.

“I won’t!” Candy said, crossing her arms and turning away from the giant NEET. She was standing on Alex’s desk, the soft glow of the computer monitor illuminating her features.

“Dan,” Alex said with a sigh.

The ghost manifested as an ethereal phantom, his translucent fingers coming down on Candy’s exposed midriff.

“H-hey!” Candy protested, laughing as invisible fingers tickled her ribcage.

“Aww, you’re so cute!” Alex teased, “and you’ll look even cuter when you put this on!”

“She really should,” Dan said, “she’s been wearing those clothes since I shrank her, they’ve got to stink by now.”

“Y-You’re saying my clothes stink!?” Candy laughed, doubling over as Dan kept tickling her, “y-you haven’t changed once since I shrank either!”

Alex frowned, then lifted her arm, grimacing at the odor as she took a sniff, “Ugh, she’s got me…”

“I don’t really smell stuff since dying,” Dan said with a shrug, “unless I’m possessing someone or something.”

“H-He can possess people!?” Candy wheezed.

“Glad to see you’re hearing him more and more,” Alex giggled, “and I guess he can!”

“Objects too,” Dan said.

Alex bit her lip, “hey uh, Dan, could you possess like… a vibrator?”

The ghost started a moment, “I uh… sure?”

“YOU FUCKING GROSS NEET!” Candy shouted, “Y-You’re-“ she stopped, almost rolling off the desk laughing as Dan’s energy surrounded her, continuing the tickling, “y-you’re going to make me dress up like your little doll, then you’re shoving Dan’s soul up your greasy unwashed c-“

“Okay,” Alex said darkly, scooping Candy up just as she would have tumbled off the desk, “first off, if Dan ends up possessing a uh… thing of mine, I think most guys would call that dying and going to heaven.”

“It’s not an unappealing idea,” the ghost admitted with a smile.

“And second,” Alex said, “you’ve spent the last four days since shrinking laying around here eating junk food and watching anime with me, and that was the only fucking time I’ve ever seen you smile.”

“L-Look, that one show with the spirit detective guy and the big fighting tournament wasn’t terrible,” Candy squeaked as Alex’s fingers curled around her.

“I think you like laying around in my dark dingy room, eating chips that are the size of your body, and watching shitty Japanese cartoons with me!” Alex said with an evil grin, “and I think you find it super hot to be stuck in my hand like this.” She squeezed Candy, causing the tiny woman to squeal in something that sounded suspiciously like pleasure.

“Damn,” Dan laughed, hovering down to look at the shrunken woman, “she’s flaring on my senses, she might cum if you touch her-“

“I WOULD NOT!” Candy shouted.

Alex rolled her eyes, then brought her other hand down, a single digit extending and forcing it’s way between Candy’s legs and up under her skirt. She found what she was looking for, and with a slow deliberate motion ground her fingertip against the outside of Candy’s underwear.

“Oh fuck me,” Candy moaned, her head lolling back as Alex’s finger instantly brought her to orgasm.

“Wow!” Alex laughed, “the great and terrible Candy, and she’s cumming herself over one little poke from my finger!”

“Oh god,” Candy hissed, her legs wrapping around the fingertip like a lover and bucking her hips against it.

“The teasing is doing it more,” Dan said idly, “what’s the matter doll-girl? Is this kind of treatment what you’ve been after the whole time?”

“Fuck if I know,” Candy wheezed, collapsing backwards as Alex’s hand closed on her again, “okay… goddamn, yes, I like laying around here watching your stupid fucking anime and eating like crap, this is the most relaxed I think I’ve been in years, is that what you wanted to hear?”

“No, what I wanted to hear was ‘yes miss Alex, I’m going to put on the Sailor Moon outfit,’ but I’ll admit that was kind of funny to get out of you too,” Alex chuckled, “what do you think Dan? Did dolly here earn a raincheck on the magical girl outfit?”

“Well, that vampire wants you present for some kind of greeting for her mother right?” Dan said, “I feel like you should put her in something that isn’t a five-day old set of clothes… also Alex, you should probably go shower and change too.”

“Oh my god I’ve had a boyfriend for a week and he’s already bossing me around,” Alex laughed, setting back into her gaming chair, “okay, Candy do you want me to go try to buy you some Barbie clothes or something?”

“Give me the Sailor Moon outfit,” Candy said with a defeated sigh, “can you scrub me off in the sink or something? Ghost boy is right, I have wicked BO.”

The week passed quickly; Valeria seemed to panic with each passing hour. Instead of her usual flights over the city, she spent them inside, studying obscure tomes, or ordering Brendan about in various cleaning tasks, polishing chandeliers, sink basins, and other areas that he was sure that Valeria’s mother couldn’t possibly notice.

The night of her arrival was filled with tension, the vampire had ordered all of her “minions” to gather in the main hall of the house. The pair of werewolves were dressed as a maid and a butler respectively, causing Lupe to scowl and mutter under her breath. Madison had appeared in a simple button up shirt, the green ribbon around her neck flashing in the low light.

“You couldn’t have vorn your armor!?” Valeria hissed, “that terrible ebony stuff you vore vhen ve fought?”

“No,” Madison said simply, a slight smile on her face at the vampire’s exasperation.

Valeria sighed and moved to Alex, who was holding a shrunken Candy in her hands while Dan hovered behind her, “and you, you are supposed be my Medium, yet you have no crystal ball, and you are veering… vhat is Bleach?”

“You said to wear something that showed I communicated with the afterlife,” Alex said, pointing to the design on the front, “my old Bleach t-shirt is the closest thing I’ve got to that.”

She grumbled under her breath, then looked down at the shrunken Candy, “and you!” she scowled, “look more defeated, pathetic, humiliated!”

“Don’t worry I’ll do my best,” Candy said sarcastically.

“Do not mock me!” Valeria said angrily, “I vanted to crush you like the bug you are! Brendan and Alex think this vould be cruel however, and my heart is far too soft to upset them!”

Candy gulped, “uh, yeah okay, pathetic and defeated, got it.”

“How do I look?” Brendan asked, walking down the stairs in a red jacket and puffed shirt. Valeria had picked the outfit for him, and it looked almost like something he’d expect a 17th century noble to wear.

“Vunderful,” Valeria beamed, rushing to his side with a blur.

The group started as a knock came at the door. Trent moved to open it, but before he could the doorknob turned, and as if of its own accord, the door swung open. The cool night air filled the entryway, the slight fog rolling along the floor. The only sound was the slight *click* of heels on the hardwood floors.

“Greetings mother!” Valeria called excitedly as the pale woman stepped into the hall.

She was taller than Valeria was, with higher cheekbones and a sterner air, where Valeria looked to be in her early 20s, Brendan would have guessed her mother at somewhere in her 30s, there was simply a more austere air about her, for all that she looked like she could be the younger vampire’s sister, rather than her mother.

“Valeria,” she nodded.

Valeria cleared her throat and turned to the group, “presenting Lady Eleanor Tepes, my mother!”

“A pleasure to meet you all,” Lady Eleanor said coolly, strutting into the hallway, “I am glad to see that my daughter has taken her duties somevhat seriously…”

“M-Mother, vith these servants at my command, there is no force vhich could contest our mastery of this town and the energies vhich come from-“

“Yes yes,” Lady Eleanor sighed, “I did not expect any formidable force to oppose you, if there vas such a being here I vould have come myself… now let us see vhat you have gathered under your banner…”

She stopped, looking at Trent and Lupe, “the volves are… acceptable.”

“Damn right,” Lupe growled.

The Elder vampire stopped a moment, then smirked, “they must enjoy their servitude if the vould vear such costumes…”

“Told you these were stupid,” Lupe whispered, gesturing to the formal maid and butler outfits.

“And this must be your medium?” she asked, walking to Alex, Dan, and Candy. “Ah, ghost, did you perhaps die a violent death?”

“Well uh,” Dan began uncertainly, “it was an M rated game, sure…”

Her eyes drifted down to Candy, “and vhat do we have here?” she grinned and reached down, a long pale finger drifting over Candy’s hair and causing the tiny woman to shiver at the elder Vampire’s touch. “The medium and her ghost, did they curse you to be like this?” she asked curiously.

Candy licked her lips and launched into a speech she’d been given, “I foolishly tried to oppose Miss Valeria, and to teach me the error of my ways the ghost turned me into a pet for his mistress…”

“I do prefer death for defeated foes,” Lady Eleanor said with some distaste, “but… I suppose this treatment is suitable warning for your enemies.”

“And you medium?” she asked, looking at Alex. “This… garment…” she gestured to the Bleach T-Shirt, “is there some hidden meaning I cannot ascertain?”

“Oh yeah,” Alex said excitedly, “so it commemorates the anime Bleach, which is the tale of Ichigo Kurosaki, who becomes a Japanese god of death-“

“A Shinigami?” Valeria’s mother mused, “I have had dealings vith them… and this Ichigo, he vas some protégé of theirs?”

“I have some DVDs if you want to borrow them,” Alex said excitedly, “just-“

“Please forgive Alex,” Madison said, moving ahead of her, “our… resident medium is prone to the usual madness of her sort.”

“A Dullahan?” Eleanor said with an amused smirk “My daughter has outdone herself… vhat unholy ground do you claim as your own?”

“University Bookstore,” Madison said without skipping a beat, “it is a place where the innocent and eager are separated from their hard earned wealth.”

“Indeed?” Valeria’s mother asked, an eyebrow raised, “I vas not avare of any such place here… but then Stokerville is a place of power, vhich is vhy it is important for our family to control it.” She stopped before Valeria, who looked like she was about to start shaking under her mother’s austere gaze. “Your gathered forces are acceptable, given your relatively short stay in this country, but I question if they could withstand an assault from those thing vhich dwell between worlds and vhich desire this vun for themselves…”

She clapped her hands suddenly, “I have seen enough, you are all dismissed, save for the familiar,” she glared at Brendan icily, and he felt a pit form in his stomach. The others slowly filed out, casting quick looks at the pair of vampires and the unlucky human that would be remaining with them. Madison left last, and shot Brendan just the tiniest hint of a smile before closing the door behind her.

“Attend me,” Eleanor snapped her fingers at Brendan, walking over to the grand couch in the living room and kicking her shoes off. She wiggled her bare toes impatiently, looking at Brendan.

Valeria cleared her throat, looking at him desperately. Brendan slowly walked into the living room, shooting a quick look at Valeria, who nodded nervously. He fell to his knees, and slowly began rubbing the elder vampire’s feet. Like Valeria’s they were soft, pale, and had a strange scent almost like allspice which quickly coated his hands as he worked.

“Ahh,” Eleanor sighed happily, “it vould seem he has some use after all… tell me… Brendan, is it?”

“Y-Yes ma’am,” he stuttered as Valeria nervously hovered into a nearby armchair.

“I see you bear yellow eyes, this vould mean that your relationship vith my daughter has come quite far, no?”

“I think so, yeah?” he said, still rubbing her feet. With a smirk she crossed her legs, allowing him to work the other while she continued to look down on him imperiously.

“So vhat is it that makes you think you are fit to be the personal familiar of a vampire of such pedigree as Valeria?” She drawled, enjoying his subservience, “are you a great varrior perhaps? A scholar of note?”

“Mother!” Valeria said angrily, “stop this-“

“Quiet girl,” Eleanor snapped, pulling her feet out of Brendan’s grasp. She leaned forward, smiling as she cupped his chin in her hands, “vhat exactly do you offer my daughter? Vhy should she accept you as her eternal shield and servant?” She scowled.

“I love her!” he insisted, pulling away from Eleanor and causing Valeria to gulp nervously.

Brendan suddenly felt the familiar tingling of his size being drained. He looked up as the smug elder vampire grew larger before him, the very couch she rested on becoming a massive cliff face as she sucked away his energy. Within seconds he was standing only as tall as her big toe, and he cried out in surprise as her foot darted forward, pinching him between her toes with a giggle.

“I suspect this is not the first time this has happened to you?” she teased, lifting her bare foot up to his hand so she could grab him. With a flourish she tossed him into the air, causing him to flail and scream in surprise before she easily snatched him again, opening her palm and letting him lay on it while her immense face looked down at him with an amused grin.

“You love my daughter,” she mocked, “fool boy, do you have any idea vhat servitude to this family entails?”

“S-She feeds on me,” Brendan said, fighting to keep his voice from shaking, “and I do what she says, is that-“

“Your eyes have already yellowed and you become more her creature vith every passing day, and you do not realize vhere this road of servitude leads,” Valeria smirked.

“Mother please,” Valeria said weakly, “It vould be better if Brendan and I had this conversation-“

“Silence!” she shouted, quickly quieting Valeria again, “you have been my daughter’s servant, faithfully I am sure,” she continued, “but how long did you think that this state of affairs vould last?”

“Uh…” Brendan gulped, “well, once I finish my degree I would probably get a job around here, maybe move in with her-“

“You are to be her servant forever Brendan,” Eleanor said with a smirk, “vhatever hopes and dreams you have for your little life… they are now gone.”

He gulped, “I uh… I hadn’t really thought about the long term implications I guess, but-“

“It vill not end there,” Eleanor said, “if you truly think yourself Valeria’s love, there vill come a day vhen she vill ask you to give up your humanity for her.”

Brendan started, looking at the massive columns that were Eleanor’s fingers as they seemed to close arund him, “y-you mean make me like… like you?”

Eleanor chuckled softly, “if every fledgling vas as myself, or even Valeria, the vorld might be a different place… but yes, you vill accept our pact, to forgo the peace of the grave and haunt the nights forever more… as a vampire.”

“That’s uh… that’s kind of a difficult decision to make right now,” Brendan muttered, his mind reeling.

“If you continue much further, the only path out of your servitude vith my daughter is death or undeath,” Eleanor scowled, “I do not know vhy she did not tell you this, perhaps she vished to wait until that point had already passed? To deny you the option to remain human?”

Valeria seemed to sink into the chair, refusing to meet Brendan or her mother’s eyes.

“Valeria?” Brendan asked quietly, peering through the fingers that imprisoned him. The vampire’s silence told him all he needed to hear. He slumped against Eleanor’s palm, defeated.

“It vould seem you two have much to discuss,” Eleanor said, standing up. She moved to Valeria’s side with a blur, depositing the tiny Brendan into her outstretched hand. “I vill retire for now, I am veary from the journey and the sun vill be upon us soon…” She paused, looking back to them, “Valeria, this is your first familiar, ve love and cherish them all, but not all are meant to join us, in my long life I have only found one who vas vorthy and villing… your father says hello dear, and vishes you to write more.” With that she began walking her way up the stairs, leaving the two of them alone.

Brendan stared up at Valeria’s face, the pale visage looming over him, “B-Brendan,” she stammered, “I can assure you, I vas going to tell you, to explain everything-“

“I think I need some time to think,” he said quietly.

Valeria sighed, slowly placing him on the ground. With a snap of her fingers his size was returned. He started turning to leave, but Valeria rushed to him, giving him a quick hug, that steely grip around his waist holding him in place for a moment.

“I am sorry,” she whispered, “take… take vhatever time you need, if you need to be released from my service… I understand.” She released him, stepping back, waiting for an answer.

He sighed, and didn’t reply as he continued towards the door.

Chapter End Notes:

Just a heads up I have some irl business to take care of and won't be updating this story until next week, sorry to leave it in such a grim spot lol